UFC 179 Aldo vs Mendes

Any interest in this?

I love watching Aldo fight, so I will be pulling for him.

I am interested in Glover vs Davis also.

Regards,

Robert A

I want to see McGregor talk shit after the match.

Its hard not to like Aldo

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are buying the McGregor hype? Obviously he is talented and has that confidence and swagger to put asses to seats, but does he really have the same potential as JBJ for example?

Its really hard for me to buy him obliterating Aldo when he has his chin up in the air and such a wide stance. He has been tagged by much lesser competition, but we haven’t seen him really get hurt by any shots he has eaten either. He does have some reach though, but we don’t have any idea how well his cardio will hold up in 5 round fight and if he has any serious ground game to hang with good wrestlers.

[quote]brotardscience wrote:
Its hard not to like Aldo [/quote]

Damn straight.

I am being serious when I say Aldo doesn’t gas from lack of cardio. He runs out of fissile material. He hits way harder than a 145 is supposed to.

Mendes did a great job recovering the times he was rocked. He also did a great job of ending up with the better of a bunch of fouls. I think the eye pokes and groin shots did take something from Jose.

It was a great fight.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Fistiecuffs wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you are buying the McGregor hype? Obviously he is talented and has that confidence and swagger to put asses to seats, but does he really have the same potential as JBJ for example?

Its really hard for me to buy him obliterating Aldo when he has his chin up in the air and such a wide stance. He has been tagged by much lesser competition, but we haven’t seen him really get hurt by any shots he has eaten either. He does have some reach though, but we don’t have any idea how well his cardio will hold up in 5 round fight and if he has any serious ground game to hang with good wrestlers.[/quote]

I really don’t know how much I buy it. The UFC has said his marketability is the reason for the big contract so they may be protecting him a bit with match making.

I must not have been paying attention to him because I don’t really remember his fights and suddenly he is THE guy being talked about. Wiki says he was Irish National Boxing Champion. It also says citation needed for that. Which is odd.

Regards,

Robert A

Regards,

Robert A

Aldo looks like he hits like a truck.
I do think he wears out a little in the later rounds- clearly in round two he paced it.
I don’t know how much is due to weight cut etc but he hits hard and can set a fierce pace.
His TD defense or ability to stand back up is like young BJ penn.

I though Mendes did well- Had good power- his upper cuts in particular.

Mecgregor is good- but really its about his grade A shit talk.
I don’t buy the hype but He says funny as shit.

Conor’s talking overshadows his skills.
Some are unable to appreciate his skills because of the talk.

I’m sure some of it’s staged, but it blows my mind that a guy who’s literally hours away from the biggest fight of his life would focus so much of his attention on ANYONE other than the other guy in the cage. Whatever happens between Mendes/McGregor, Irish already has the upper hand.

From what I’ve seen of McGregor, he is most definitely the real deal. Great movement, spacing, hits way bigger than his weightclass, really accurate and seemingly cannot be rattled. With that, he needs more time. As is I think Aldo lunch boxes him.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
Conor’s talking overshadows his skills.
Some are unable to appreciate his skills because of the talk.
[/quote]

I could see how that is the case.

His pay/contract is good enough though that it is hard to say that isn’t working FOR him.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
From what I’ve seen of McGregor, he is most definitely the real deal. Great movement, spacing, hits way bigger than his weightclass, really accurate and seemingly cannot be rattled. With that, he needs more time. As is I think Aldo lunch boxes him.[/quote]

I think Siver is his next opponent, so he should have some time. His record damn sure isn’t contender status, but Brock’s wasn’t either and he beat Couture and Carwin.

Regards,

Robert A

I love Mc Gregor. He backs up his mouth so far.
Constant complaint is he isn’t being tested. They put the next guy up who is meant to give him a hard time, destroys him, next guy, destroys him.
I think he will make Mendes look dumb as cario and energizer bunny meth taking energy are his only attributes. Way too one dimensional.

Siver will be easy. Also one dimensional… unless he can magically connect a spinning back kick to Mc Gregors head lol.

Mc Gregor vs Aldo will be fun. He will frustrate the fuck out of Aldo.
I love Aldo but if he weren’t fast, tough and accurate, he too is fairly run of the mill straight up and down.
Mc Gregor is the Machida of the division, unorthodoxed but has power to boot and unlike Machida will take it to you and hunt you.
Torn between the two but will be far more interesting than Mendes vs Aldo

[quote]humble wrote:
I love Mc Gregor. He backs up his mouth so far.
Constant complaint is he isn’t being tested. They put the next guy up who is meant to give him a hard time, destroys him, next guy, destroys him.
I think he will make Mendes look dumb as cario and energizer bunny meth taking energy are his only attributes. Way too one dimensional.

Siver will be easy. Also one dimensional… unless he can magically connect a spinning back kick to Mc Gregors head lol.

Mc Gregor vs Aldo will be fun. He will frustrate the fuck out of Aldo.
I love Aldo but if he weren’t fast, tough and accurate, he too is fairly run of the mill straight up and down.
Mc Gregor is the Machida of the division, unorthodoxed but has power to boot and unlike Machida will take it to you and hunt you.
Torn between the two but will be far more interesting than Mendes vs Aldo
[/quote]

On topic:
I need to watch more tape of this guy if you say his striking is that good.

Off topic:
Great to see you around? I hope you are well. If I remember correctly there was an injury, thigh or knee maybe? Also I hope your family is doing well, father? Dealing with potential diabetic neuropathy patient the other day brought you and yours to mind.

In the interest of comedy:
Conner had you with the comment about his balls and Mendes’s forehead right?

Regards,

Robert A

A good read for those interested in McGregor.

[quote]redstar144 wrote:

A good read for those interested in McGregor.[/quote]

redstar144,

I enjoyed that. Thank you for posting, seriously. Always seem to like Jack Slack’s work.

Regards,

Robert A

^Nice write up, also appreciated Slack giving props to GM Wallace and GM Lewis regarding the hook kick (though he should have given Lewis credit for the side kick as well as no one in history has had a more feared or effective side kick as Lewis did in his hay day, but whatever). I would disagree with him about the dangers of having a side kick caught, but like anything else it’s all in how you set it up and of course your command of timing, distance, judgement, and accuracy.

I am interested in seeing how McGregor does against some of the better wrestlers in the division, though I do agree that having him fight some gatekeeper wrestler would be a waste of the hype and anticipation that has been built up around him. I am still not sure he is ready to beat Aldo, but his unorthodox style, the fact that he is a lefty, and his constantly evolving game make that match-up one of the most interesting match-ups for Aldo left at FW.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
^Nice write up, also appreciated Slack giving props to GM Wallace and GM Lewis regarding the hook kick (though he should have given Lewis credit for the side kick as well as no one in history has had a more feared or effective side kick as Lewis did in his hay day, but whatever). [/quote]

I agree, but I wouldn’t feel like I was in an untenable position if I had to argue Don Wilson as having an equal side kick. He certainly had a longer kickboxing career to draw film from. Of course Lewis did exponentially more to teach others how to kick.

Regards,

Robert A

But before Kickboxing ever became a sport (which Lewis is pretty unanimously credited with by other Martial Artists), he had already won multiple National Karate Championships and Karate tournaments (often times being ridiculed for “too much contact” in the process), become the first professional Karate fighter on record when he won the a World Professional Karate Championship in 1968, and was twice voted the greatest Karate Fighter of all time by his peers (Wallace and Norris tied for 2nd) and during the majority of his Karate career (prior to his kickboxing career) his right side kick was by far his most feared weapon. Everyone knew his for it and knew he was going to do it, yet very few were ever able to stop him from landing it on them. If you fought Joe Lewis during that time you were pretty much thinking one thing “gotta stop his lead leg side kick” and yet almost no one could.

It’s also a little known fact that Bruce Lee actually patterned his iconic side kick (and even his fighting stance that he showcased in most of his movies) on Joe’s. He has tons of notes on Joe prior to them ever working together and Bruce was interested in Joe’s side kick especially. My guess is that if you were to ask Wilson (I haven’t met him but Shihan Walt has met and trained with him) that he would say that he too patterned his kick largely (if not entirely) after Joe’s.

So no argument that Wilson had a great side kick, but IMO Lewis’s was more feared, more iconic, and more influential, so he gets the nod.