Little Nog over Evans
Overeeem over Bigfoot
Maia over Fitch
McCall over Benavidez

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
So, who ya got?

My calls, based on little sleep and lots of bourbon:
[/quote]
That is the proper combination, assuming you are safe about it. By safe I mean ensuring that there is an absolute minimum chance that you get arrested in Mexico.

Which bourbon?

[quote]

Aldo over Edgar
Little Nog over Evans
Overeeem over Bigfoot
Maia over Fitch
McCall over Benavidez[/quote]

Aldo vs Edgar: I give Aldo the edge, but Edgar’s cardio and ability to mix takedowns with punches should make it interesting, a la Hominick. I’ll pick Aldo.

Diet Nog vs Evans: I see Evans dealing with this. He has the better defense striking and has never been submitted. Diet Nog is too easy a target to pull a Machida or Jones. I will be rooting for Nog, but I can’t pick him.

Overeem vs Bigfoot Silva: My questions are how easily does Reem do this, not does he. This is a lumbering target vs a guy who loves to hit lumbering targets. Bigfoot’s takedowns have never impressed me and I don’t think he has anything off his back that Werdum didn’t.

Maia vs Fitch: No idea. If Maia tries to kickbox, who the hell knows.

These are my picks. Based on little sleep, and NO bourbon.

Regards,

Robert A

Aldo. Edgar’s comparatively poor footwork is going to put him at a disadvantage, and I don’t think he is as technically sound as color commentator’s have made him out to be. Aldo on the other hand, has fantastic striking coaching, excellent footwork and his TD is strong enough that I’m betting it will force Edgar to stand.

Evans vs Lil Nog: Rashad all the way. He’s too athletic for Lil Nog to keep up with and on top of that he’s a much better striker and even failing that he will just wrestlefuck Nog the whole match (which will likely be what happens regardless).

Overeem v Silva: Overroid by gorilla fuck smash. Goddam I can’t wait to see his HGHness back in the octagon.

Fitch vs Maia: Is this a fight?

Benavidez vs McCall: I’m sorry I can’t take flyweights seriously.

Aldo has beaten better wrestlers and better strikers than Edgar, and all the cardio and head movement in the world isn’t going to help Frankie when his legs are dead in the third round. Think we might see Frankie finished here.

Nothing to add on the Evans and Reem calls.

I was joking around with a buddy that Fitch and Maia might have a kickboxing match, then I realized that Fitch and Maia might have a kickboxing match. Hopes to hell that doesn’t happen. I liked Maia’s aggression versus Story and would like to see more of that. If Fitch gets on top though, he’s just too smothering for even Maia’s sub game to be effective.

Edgar is going to get the meat in his legs battered down to beautiful 2 minute steak.

Lovely enough guy but fuck him off from fighting already. Him, Guida, mighty mouse and dodson… fuck them all off. Moving around like an energizer bunny on crack doesn’t make you a fighter, or mean you have great footwork.

Commentator colors… like that Davo.

Also picking Aldo, but to play Devil’s advocate a little bit, Aldo has looked questionable in the past in regards to conditioning (against Hominick), so it’s possible that Edgar’s pace might eventually get to him and ware him down (that is, if Aldo doesn’t smash his legs to a pulp with leg kicks and slow him down, which I think is a very likely possibility).

Rashad over Little Nog. At this point I think Rashad’s superior athleticism, decent enough striking and superior wrestling will prove too much for Nog.

I’m actually excited to see Maia and Fitch fight because Maia, and really hope that the fight goes to the ground, early and often. Maia is probably the best submission guy in the Division (maybe Shields could make an arguments, but whatever), and Fitch has some of the best sub defense of anybody in MMA. If that’s not a recipe for a potentially epic grappling duel I don’t know what is.

Reem should win easily; if he doesn’t I’ll be surprised and a little disappointed.

Haven’t watched enough of McCall to call that one.

So, who ya got?

My calls, based on little sleep and lots of bourbon:

Aldo over Edgar
Little Nog over Evans
Overeeem over Bigfoot
Maia over Fitch
McCall over Benavidez[/quote]

I agree with Aldo over Edgar for many of the reasons listed already.

Evans seems to be on another level than lil Nog… as long as he keeps his mouth shut(see Machida fight).

Overeem should win by some sort of Mortal Kombat type of finish.

Maia and Fitch is interesting to me because it will almost certainly turn into a striking match between two guys with almost no striking game. I suppose I give Fitch the edge because I’ve never seen him crumble under a single punch like Maia vs. Marquardt.

McCall and Benevidez… how can you not root for a guy who goes by “Uncle Creepy?” That and McCall gave current champ Mighty Mouse two very good fights already and has a stand up edge.

Nog was my emotional pick, I’m just not a huge Rashad fan. That and I want Pride Nog back.

Nog was my emotional pick, I’m just not a huge Rashad fan. That and I want Pride Nog back.[/quote]

Yeah. I agree with that :(. Give me the monster from Pride please. Resurrection happens right? I’m a big Nog fan, but he’s not the same.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Nog was my emotional pick, I’m just not a huge Rashad fan. That and I want Pride Nog back.[/quote]

Yeah. I agree with that :(. Give me the monster from Pride please. Resurrection happens right? I’m a big Nog fan, but he’s not the same.[/quote]
He’s talking about Lil nog holmes.

Only fight I care about is Reem. It’ll be interesting, considering at the weigh-ins he appeared softer than when he fought Brock…

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Yeah. I agree with that :(. Give me the monster from Pride please. Resurrection happens right? I’m a big Nog fan, but he’s not the same.[/quote]
He’s talking about Lil nog holmes.[/quote]

Maybe he is a BIG fan of Diet Nog.

Also, since it is still cold out and Jim made me hope we would be discussing bourbon…opinions on egg nog?

At any rate I think Nog’s lack of head movement will be a problem. Rashad has enough to win this, possibly even in big fashion.

Regards,

Robert A

MMA bourbon is Woodford Reserve. Allowance will be made for Angel’s Envy, Buffalo Trace, or Four Roses.

Jim Beam can gtfo.

MMA bourbon is Woodford Reserve. Allowance will be made for Angel’s Envy, Buffalo Trace, or Four Roses.

Jim Beam can gtfo.[/quote]

This post should be a sticky.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

No love for Jim Beam? During grad school I drank Kentucky Deluxe and old crow! JB is living high on the hog.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

No love for Jim Beam? During grad school I drank Kentucky Deluxe and old crow! JB is living high on the hog.

[/quote]

Bad price point.

Beam runs into other, better bourbons for cost. If you are going to mix with it, you can get the same for less money. If you want to spend Beam money, there are better options.

If you are buying Beam, buy Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace, or Bulleit depending on how much rye you like. Also, though technically a Tennessee Whiskey, Dickel’s No. 8 compares very well to Jim Beam and is well bellow Jack Daniel’s in price.

Note for those still in school: The vodka you want is Tito’s.

Regards,

Robert A

Old Forester is a great bourbon at about $16/750ml, and it lacks the battery acid aftertaste of Beam. Beam Black is ok, btw, the extra four years mellow the badness out of it. I like it as much as Makers Mark, which I consider my baseline for rating bourbon (nothing wrong with it, price isn’t nuts, but nothing to go crazy over either).

Also, all my bourbon recommendations are for drinking straight. Don’t worry about getting the good stuff if you’re just going to throw it in ginger ale or something.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

[/quote]

Bad price point.

Beam runs into other, better bourbons for cost. If you are going to mix with it, you can get the same for less money. If you want to spend Beam money, there are better options.

If you are buying Beam, buy Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace, or Bulleit depending on how much rye you like. Also, though technically a Tennessee Whiskey, Dickel’s No. 8 compares very well to Jim Beam and is well bellow Jack Daniel’s in price.

Note for those still in school: The vodka you want is Tito’s.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

Good points.

However, I have squared off with the dirty bird and rare breed. Let’s say if you fuck with the dirty bird you get the spurs!

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

He’s talking about Lil nog holmes.[/quote]

Yes, and? I’m a fan of both twin Nogs. Lil Nog competed in PRIDE too you know. And as far as I am concerned everything I said went along with jim’s thoughts just perfectly? IMO Pride Nog (lil) is different from what we see now.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

X200. Buffalo Trace is also great, although I haven’t had Angel’s

Tito’s–you should get a gold star and yearly bonus just for recommending that. Fan for years.