UFC 155 - Dos Santos vs Velasquez 2

Anyone watching the fights tonight?
I haven’t been watching a lot of UFC the last year or so and I’ve never seen Dos Santos or Velasquez fight before. Sounds like it’ll be a great fight!

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Anyone watching the fights tonight?
I haven’t been watching a lot of UFC the last year or so and I’ve never seen Dos Santos or Velasquez fight before. Sounds like it’ll be a great fight!

[/quote]

Lauzon vs Miller was amazing.

JDS took a beating and stayed in there. I think I could hear kaisermetal cursing in portuguese all the way up here every time Dorea was telling him to “keep your hands up”. Like any of Dorea’s fighters are used to doing that.

Regards,

Robert A

This is bullshit

what happened to glass jaw cain

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
This is bullshit

what happened to glass jaw cain[/quote]

The shot JDS caught Cain with last time was a behind the head shot. I think it’s funny that people are saying Cain’s cardio is overrated. The pace and beating he put on JDs is not easy especially at HW.

Glass jay? Are you being sarcastic? Cain took one hard from Cheick Kongo and still won a decision. I only have seen the first round so far and the fact JDS went the distance surprises me. At the point I heard of it. Even though I thought in my mind Cain would win, I had a guilty secret belief that Junior would finish him in the second or third rounds.

Next question is, will he neutralize the striking of Overeem?

It was a good card last night. I didn’t think Dos Santos was going to get lucky again. Cain kept him off balance in the first round with constant take down attempts until he connected. Then of course it was all down hill for Dos Santos. But the guy hung in there when many would have just ducked and covered and let the ref stop the fight. Kudo’s to both of them, one for his big heart and the other for an incredible performance.

Will there be a rematch? I’m guessing yes.

I very much doubt it. JDS’s boxing is intelligent and efficient in its simplicity, but Alistair is a much more multi faceted striker.

Really Alistairs ability to hand trap and deliver knee strikes is really underrated, I’ve never seen any other fighter do it in MMA. And the size and strength will be hard for cain to deal with IMO.

I think the more relevant question is, will the Overeem we see have figured out how to circumvent testing procedures? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know if the size and strength of Overeem will be that much of a problem for Cain as it didn’t seem to be all that much of a factor in his fight with Lesnar. But I do agree that Alistair is a much more diverse and dynamic striker than JDS and will likely come at Cain from a lot more angles and with more weapons than JDS. His knees from close will likely be the most dangerous weapons that Cain will face IMO.

Still, if Cain can successfully close the distance and take Overeem down, he may be able to tire Alistair out (all that muscle needs fuel/energy) with his relentless pace. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

fight of the night Lauzon vs Miller. One of the bloodiest I have seen.

Damn it to bloody hell! I wasn’t able to watch this card and I really wanted to. Anywhere I can grab it off the net before the fun haters stop the videos? I don’t pay for cable at my house :slight_smile:

i just watched the press conference and I was surprised Overeem isn’t getting Cain just yet. Is the belief ring rust? then again they made it sound like he will fight Junior, who is still a near top guy but came off a near slaughter.

Was i the only one who was disappointed by the whole card?

The Leben fight was terrible. He was never elite but that certainly was the worst Leben i think ive ever seen. The other guy will be lucky if he catches another UFC win.

Lauzon/Miller was exciting at first but as they both tired, other than the blood it wasnt that interesting. On that note, Miller has the tools to be top 3 in that division, but his cardio is proving to be an Achilles heel. Theres no excuse for not being able to go three rounds full pace at that high of a level, especially for a lightweight.

The Boetsch fight was also pretty boring, im just glad people will finally stop acting like hes title-contention material. Anyone else think Okami’s gotten a lot smaller?

The main event was the most exciting fight of the night, but i did not feel like i was watching two primed champions go at it. JDS looked gassed before the first round was over. Gain was gasses midway through the fight. I dont care what anyone says, JDS embarrassed himself last night. And the fact that Cain couldnt put him away was sad too.

The silver lining for me is that i am more confident than ever that Overeem is going to go in there and take that belt. Nothing about that fight tells me that Cain will be able to take down overeem or keep him there if he does, and Cain is going to get destroyed if Overeem sucks him up into that clinch of his. Really looking forward to this fight now.

If Overeem loses to bigfoot, i am not gonna bother following the HW division any more.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
i just watched the press conference and I was surprised Overeem isn’t getting Cain just yet. Is the belief ring rust? then again they made it sound like he will fight Junior, who is still a near top guy but came off a near slaughter.[/quote]

Overeems fighting bigfoot next, in all likely-hood if he wins that we will probably see him get the title shot.

Effective striking 101 with Jim Miller. Shows you what happens when you commit and properly analyse a fighter. I love Joe Lauzon, mainly for his balls in attitude but he has always been heavy on the front foot and crawls up into a ball with his guard up without moving anywhere. Jim saw that and smashed his inner front leg out and punched with his left at will.

Everything else was dogshit. I agree with audio… boetch is junk.

Lesnar is nothing like Overeem. Even their size is different. Overeem is a well oiled machine with 50 times more experience in actual fighting, not just athletics. There will be no way Cain does to him what he did to Lesnar. Cain will get his chin pushed to the back of his head with knees.

Dos was utter crap last night. That hands down bullshit is a joke and fucked him up big time.

[quote]humble wrote:
Effective striking 101 with Jim Miller. Shows you what happens when you commit and properly analyse a fighter. I love Joe Lauzon, mainly for his balls in attitude but he has always been heavy on the front foot and crawls up into a ball with his guard up without moving anywhere. Jim saw that and smashed his inner front leg out and punched with his left at will.

Everything else was dogshit. I agree with audio… boetch is junk.

Lesnar is nothing like Overeem. Even their size is different. Overeem is a well oiled machine with 50 times more experience in actual fighting, not just athletics. There will be no way Cain does to him what he did to Lesnar. Cain will get his chin pushed to the back of his head with knees.

Dos was utter crap last night. That hands down bullshit is a joke and fucked him up big time.[/quote]

Thank god im not going crazy. It seems like everyone i talked to thought it was a great card. All i can say is im glad my buddy paid the 55 bucks and not me.

No one wants to admit it, everyone wants to downplay him, but after last night Overeem really is the 800 lb gorilla in the corner of the room. He had to have been sitting at home smiling ear to ear watching that fight. I highly doubt anything about Cain’s performance worried him.

FWIW Cain completed 11 of 33 takedowns, on a guy who was gassed within the first 5 minutes…Dont think thatll be too much of a problem for the Reem.

That and Alistairs take down defence is bar none the best in the division if not MMA. Try and get the guy down, good luck. Those hips are friggen bulldozer strong. He doesn’t even need to sprawl. Watch his fights, all he does is snap them back and the sheer size of him and speed and explosiveness has guys struggling to grab him. Big guys too. Not small guys like Cain with no reach. Cain only looked good because Dos was shit. Something was definitely not right. For a guy who is seemingly intelligent, he didn’t show much of it with his hands down. Almost like he has a stroke and by some miracle was able to walk around getting beat for 5 rounds.

Cain’s punches were mostly slow, lethargic love taps. Enough to bruise and batter soft tissue as evident in Dos’s face but no where near enough to worry a true stand up striker like Reem.

You’re not going crazy Audio… the UFC is just losing it’s ability to scout serious talent and put on a decent card.

[quote]humble wrote:
[/quote]
I agree, but to Lauzon’s credit he is/was more of a scrappy submissions guy than someone who looks to pick people apart with strikes. He needs to work on what you pointed out, but his performance also showed how covering up can let you survive and stay in the fight. A lesson a bunch of other fighters migh want to learn.

I will wait to see what Reem does against Bigfoot Silva. Reem looked less than god like when he fought Werdum. I can see Cain landing some straight punches and pushing takedowns/conditioning if things don’t go well for Overeem. Also, I don’t think Allistair has the takedown defense of even a gassed JDS. What he does have is the best striking in the HW division. Hell, he may actually have the most proven striking in all of MMA with his K-1 GP win.

[quote]
Dos was utter crap last night. That hands down bullshit is a joke and fucked him up big time.[/quote]
What is this madness? Are you saying that combining the low hand position of boxers who fight off the back foot(Mayweather, Ali, etc) with the immobility of a cover then counter fighter(“Comeback” era Foreman) is a bad thing?

Regards,

Robert A

Saw it now, good fights.
Big belt-drama!
And pretty gory card actually. Maybe too gory, I like to watch some UFC gr0n with my girl here and now and she had to shield her eyes way too much this time.

So that was Dorea.
Yeah, he’s an idiot (ah, the comfy chair of internet-expertmanship).

“Use the jab, you got to keep your hands up, use the jab”
Really?
After the first round, the pace was set- brutally.
After the second round, the champ’s brain was about as lively as a sloth zombie.
Yeah, the jab should have worked just beautifully.

Alistair against any of these two will be interesting.

Versus Cain he’ll have to be strong form the start.
Cain will never repeat the mistake he made in his first loss- starting too cautious.
And I somehow doubt Reem will get a second wind in the third.
He’ll either pulverize Cain with his devastating counterhooks or from a clinch setup with knees and fists.
If not, the champ will rape-break him.
Pretty even, if not with a slight advantage for the horsefed Overmeat.

Versus DosSantos is even more interesting in my opinion. I have to give the former champ the edge.
I agree, Overeem has an overlooked arsenal of nasty tricks. I just think that Overeem still has a slow rythm nowadays and against these, DosSantos’ hands really shine.

Must check if Bigfoot fight is not a rumour before I comment on that.

@Sento
Can Lesnar’s power be compared to Overeem?
Cain won the moment he made it his fight. After Brock realized it won’t be over quick and he has to defend against a permanent takedown threat, it was over.
Overeem can and will counter a botched takedown viciously.
(Which, btw is not an option for the former brazilian champ. His TDD is great because he relies on a springy retreat.)
Of course, against Cain, the threat of being overwhelmed is ever present.

Have to see the prelims tomorrow.

Overeem’s TDD is underrated, i dont get why people act like his ground game is a weakness. Check out his ADCC videos on youtube, back when he was a LHW. He has no doubt improved since then and is the biggest, strongest guy in the division to boot. Hes also generally had pretty good TDD, we havent seen it in action much since moving to HW, but a lot of that has to do with people having a hard time closing the distance and avoiding his clinch.

I firmly believe that if Cain gets clinched with Overeem, his night is over.

Also yeah, the hands down shit pisses me off so bad. When Chuck fought Rampage for the second time i got a real bad feeling as soon as the fight started because of the way he was holding his hands, and i got that same feeling last night when JDS came out with his hands down.

There is one person in MMA that can do that and get away with it seemingly anytime, so if your name isnt Anderson Silva, get your fuckin hands up.