UFC 146 JDS v Mir

2 days to go.

I would have preferred Reem to fight and we know why he won’t… but Mir will do.

What are your picks, ladies and gents?

Hardy, Miller, Barboza, Elkins, Struve, Nelson, Velasquez, Dos Santos.

Dan Hardy inspired my mohawk, and his fight against Lytle was awesome so he gets the nod, this one should be good.
Its reaaaally hard to pick against Varner. He is a great fighter.
Picked Elkins based on UFC experience.
I have no clue who is going to win the Miocic/del Rosario fight. Should be a good one though.
I love Big Country.
This title fight should be one for the ages. Future HOF for sure. I have been looking forward to this match up for a long long time. It is definitely a hard fight to pick, but given what I’ve seen JDS is a motherfucking beast. I will be surprised if this one goes past the third round.

-Zep

Got an odd feeling that Mir will actually take it. Not the same guy that got his ass handed to him by Lesnar.
On paper Dos Santos should win, I know, but just got this feeling.

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
Got an odd feeling that Mir will actually take it. Not the same guy that got his ass handed to him by Lesnar.
On paper Dos Santos should win, I know, but just got this feeling.[/quote]
The only thing working to Mir’s advantage is that JDS was preparing to fight Overeem and hasn’t been training submission defense as much as he might have if he’s known who was going to fight Mir. Still, barring intervention from Steven Seagal I have to go with JDS too.

Friggin Dos Santos by brutal KO

Frank Mir is taking this !

[quote]humble wrote:
Friggin Dos Santos by brutal KO[/quote]

My pick as well.

I dont understand where the love for Mir is coming from all the sudden. It seems like there is a good amount of people picking him that I talk to about the fight and I just dont see it. If he does I only see it as a squek out sub that he fell into.

Okay here are my picks for tomorrow’s card:

JDS

Velasquez

Barboza

Big Country

I like Struve but I think it’ll be Johnson’s night.

Hardy has been soso recently so my money is on Ludwig

Dos Santos and Velasquez are so obvious picks and on the paper the fight is basically good as done but these things are never fought on paper… Mir mostly relying on his BJJ and probably not good enough takedowns to take down JDS, his lacking standup defense should make for an easy night for JDS. But as Junior himself is so eager to point out in every interview, in 265 everyone hits pretty hard so you never know whats going to happen… I believe it’ll be over in 2 rounds, probably in favor of JDS but my money is on Mir. Same goes for Velasquez - Bigfoot, Velasquez having a solid wrestling base should stop Bigfoot from taking him down and pounding on his face with those fists the size of Cains face. Standing Velasquez’s far superior handspeed should lead him to easy TKO win, but you never know when one guy has such a huge weight advantage on the other, if he can grab a hold of Cain who knows what might happen? Cain has been caught standing before as well so who knows, and counting Bigfoot out would be retarded. Actually I kinda think this is going to go to the judges and be much closer than most people would think, can’t pick the winner.

I’m rooting for Nelson, he is like Zach Galifianakis of MMA, same kind of humor and they pretty much look the same. I don’t recall Herman ever really shining in the UFC, neither has Nelson as of late but atleast he will stand there until the 15 minutes are up, should make for a good fight or an entertaining beatdown.

Interesting to see what Struve will bring this time, has he finally learned to jab? Barboza is always a blast to watch and Hardy - Ludwig has the potential to be great.

The beautiful thing is that anything can happen. All are great fighters. This is a great card and I am very, very excited to watch all the big boys throw down for a change instead of little guys like Faber talk shit due to his chronic SMS.

I like that all are in the same weight class too. It makes it very easy for the fans to see and compare fighters.

-Zep

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
[/quote]

Hardy pretty much has to win this fight. I don’t see him being in the UFC much longer if he doesn’t put up a W soon. The only way I can see him losing and getting re-signed would be if his fight gets fight of the night honors.

-Zep

The card on FX is better then the PPV CARD

[quote]yoitspmart wrote:
The card on FX is better then the PPV CARD[/quote]

I can see how you could make that argument. Even the facebook fights are pretty good fights.

I got Brown, Teixeira (could go with Kingsbury as well, this one is 50/50 for me), and Volkmann (this is a weird fight for me, I feel this one is pretty close too.)

-Zep

I don’t have any real “picks” for this card. I haven’t even really looked at the match ups.

[quote]punchedbear wrote:

[quote]humble wrote:
Friggin Dos Santos by brutal KO[/quote]

My pick as well.

I dont understand where the love for Mir is coming from all the sudden. It seems like there is a good amount of people picking him that I talk to about the fight and I just dont see it. If he does I only see it as a squek out sub that he fell into. [/quote]

I am “hoping” that this happens.

I just like JDS. He seems like an almost painfully nice guy.

That said, I have no idea what his ground game or ability to deal with low kicks are like. So Mir could be the one to “expose” something. I just hope not.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

JDS

Velasquez

Barboza

Big Country

[/quote]

Never pick Struve.

He is a tall fighter that does every thing in his power not to make reach an advantage. If he just kept a good guard, stuffed takedowns, and threw straight punches he would have a much different record. It isn’t like Tim Sylvia didn’t right the book on how an awkward, but tall, fighter should fight.

Struve will never be a safe pick until he opts to bring some brains to go with his “heart” and “courage”. The fucking guy needs to see the wizard.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

JDS

Velasquez

Barboza

Big Country

[/quote]

Never pick Struve.

He is a tall fighter that does every thing in his power not to make reach an advantage. If he just kept a good guard, stuffed takedowns, and threw straight punches he would have a much different record. It isn’t like Tim Sylvia didn’t right the book on how an awkward, but tall, fighter should fight.

Struve will never be a safe pick until he opts to bring some brains to go with his “heart” and “courage”. The fucking guy needs to see the wizard.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

Haha awesome points. I like this.

-Zep

JDS

Velasquez

Herman

Del Rosario

Johnson

Outside JDS/Mir…Miocic vs. del Rosario intrigues me the most. Two upcoming HW strikers. Del Rosario was WBC Muay Thai champ…and was on a tear before accident. Will be interesting.

Oh…and shout out to Daniel Pineda from 4OZ Fight Club. TX boy on the rise.

Pretty much everything has been said.

DosSantos will oblooderate (yeah this word exists) Mir’s face.
Against someone who has a nice springy base with great hand- and footspeed, Mir’s hands and takedowns will be so exposed it will make the naked emperor look decent enough to attend Queen Elisabeth II. on her sunday walk to Westminster Abbey.

Cain V. will have an interesting bout with the monstrous Silva.
I see gnp, I see Cain victorious, I see Bigfoot redeeming his ppv-worth by clobbering someone with less wolverine DNA for the next two UFCs.

Roy Nelson vs Herman…no frigging idea besides awesome matchup.
probably Nelson.

Stipe vs Shane…again no frigging idea besides awesome matchup although it’s for different reasons.
Both are newcomer strikers with little love for the ground. Who’s the better newcomer dark warhorse?

Struve vs Lavar - Robert said it best. If S. doesn’t learn to use reach, he can only hope to pull out a bunny from his magic guard.
I say Lavar cause three weeks after destroying Berry he is still on fire.

Great fights so far. I am enjoying these a lot. The Hardy fight was nuts, and I am very happy to see Varner back in full swing.

-Zep