T Nation

UCLA vs USC

Looks like UCLA will pull the upset.

This should get the debates going again!

I just posted a “USC lost” type thread after the game ended. Damn T-Nation’s forum delay!

Amazing play by McNeal to seal it.

Florida is going to get screwed. Hopefully a lot of voters will change their minds after tonight (assuming Florida wins) and put them ahead of Michigan.

I am just glad UCLA won so it messes the BCS even more. A Michigan/OSU rematch may not solve anything. So I am hoping this UCLA win pushes the desicion-makers closer towards a playoff system. Even if UF goes ahead of Michigan then that screws Michigan. C’mon people who make the “playoff or no playoff” choice, get your heads outta your a$$.

Danny

SC should have never been in the top five, or the top 10, for that matter.

When will people learn that PAC-10 Football is not even close to being a top tier conference?

I don’t know how many possible scenarios need to play out before someone at the NCAA/BCS gets the clue that we need a playoff system in I-A ball.

It’s good to be a Michigan Wolverine! It’s good to be…

It’s good for everyone else too. This would be the best Championship game with the closest-matched teams out there.

I jumped up and yelled on that pick. Come on Florida, daddy loves you.

anne arbor is a whore

[quote]rainjack wrote:
SC should have never been in the top five, or the top 10, for that matter.

[/quote]

They are the most over rated team over the last few years. (Not counting ND)

By my count they have one recent national championship yet people wanted to hand them a “three-peat” last year.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
anne arbor is a whore[/quote]

Haha

The only bad thing about the playoff system is schools wouldn’t make as much money since the BCS bowl games would be gone.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
SC should have never been in the top five, or the top 10, for that matter.

When will people learn that PAC-10 Football is not even close to being a top tier conference?

I don’t know how many possible scenarios need to play out before someone at the NCAA/BCS gets the clue that we need a playoff system in I-A ball. [/quote]

I have to disagree in that USC is still a pretty good team. But they wouldn’t last as long if they gotten beaten up every week by other really good teams coughSECcough.

Everything else is dead on.

Hook:

The BCS Bowls would still be there.

The idea is to:

  1. Alternate which Bowl would be the host for the Championship game (which is already being done).

  2. Make the OTHER bowls host to various rounds of the playoff.

If “March Madness” has taught us anything, it’s that a playoff only enhances interest (and overall money). Too many schools and Conferences (especially the SEC) are really getting fed up with the “Computers and Politics”. Let the guys prove who is best on the field.

Mufasa

It’s going to be terrible if Florida wins big. (I say this as a Florida fan)

Michigan’s one loss is to the best team in the country and it’s close, Florida’s one loss was to a good team and was close. Florida had a tougher schedule, but both schedules were really up there as far as difficulty goes.

The fact that either Florida or Michigan is not going to play for the title is complete and utter bullshit.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Hook:

The BCS Bowls would still be there.

The idea is to:

  1. Alternate which Bowl would be the host for the Championship game (which is already being done).

  2. Make the OTHER bowls host to various rounds of the playoff.

If “March Madness” has taught us anything, it’s that a playoff only enhances interest (and overall money). Too many schools and Conferences (especially the SEC) are really getting fed up with the “Computers and Politics”. Let the guys prove who is best on the field.

Mufasa [/quote]

Quit trying to make sense, Mufasa. If history has taught us anything with respect to the D-1 football gods, it is that they hae no clue how to use the logical side of their brain.

I live near a D-II school that made the playoffs this year, and it has sent the entire city into a WTA&M Buffalo frenzy. I have alose been around the Texas Tech fans when they got an invite to the Independence Bowl - no one gave a shit.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
I have to disagree in that USC is still a pretty good team. But they wouldn’t last as long if they gotten beaten up every week by other really good teams coughSECcough.

Everything else is dead on.[/quote]

If USC is in the SEC, Big 10, or Big 12 - they would not be a top 10 - 15 team.

Those conferences know what a defense looks like. USC only sees a defense 2-3 games a year.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
It’s going to be terrible if Florida wins big. (I say this as a Florida fan)

Michigan’s one loss is to the best team in the country and it’s close, Florida’s one loss was to a good team and was close. Florida had a tougher schedule, but both schedules were really up there as far as difficulty goes.

The fact that either Florida or Michigan is not going to play for the title is complete and utter bullshit.[/quote]

The reason I am leaning towards Florida right now is that Michigan lost in a game both teams knew was for the conference championship and the winner would go to the national championship. That is like losing a playoff game.

Florida lost a regular season game and just won their conference championship. That has to count for something.

It pains me to say it but I think Florida should get the nod (although I may change my mind).

They really need a playoff.

While I’m not completely against a playoff, I don’t really see the problem here. It’s almost like there was a playoff in place this year. USC knew if it won it was going to Championship. They lost and were eliminated. It’s been this way for the last couple weeks.

Notre Dame knew it had to beat USC to have a shot. They lost. Michigan had to beat OSU. They lost. Arkansas had to win out, They lost – twice. Rutgers had to win out to stay in contention(no matter how slim). They lost – twice. Florida had to beat FSU and Arkansas to stay in contention. They won. They did what was needed in a playoff situation. Florida should go to the title game.

Of course everything I just said is thrown out if we are forced to watch a rematch.

GO BADGERS

I think that there are now two VERY vocal Coaches pushing for a Playoff System (Weiss at ND and Myer at Florida).

There is also a strong, disgruntled Conference (the SEC).

ND will make it’s yearly money under any system; so this is not a “money” issue for Weiss.

Will all of this make a difference? I think so, in that it will open up the discussion, more than it ever has been, after the end of the Bowl Season.

Mufasa

[quote]malonetd wrote:
While I’m not completely against a playoff, I don’t really see the problem here. It’s almost like there was a playoff in place this year. USC knew if it won it was going to Championship. They lost and were eliminated. It’s been this way for the last couple weeks.

Notre Dame knew it had to beat USC to have a shot. They lost. Michigan had to beat OSU. They lost. Arkansas had to win out, They lost – twice. Rutgers had to win out to stay in contention(no matter how slim). They lost – twice. Florida had to beat FSU and Arkansas to stay in contention. They won. They did what was needed in a playoff situation. Florida should go to the title game.

Of course everything I just said is thrown out if we are forced to watch a rematch.

GO BADGERS[/quote]

Division I football is the only collegiate sport that is not decided on the field/court/ice/gym etc.

Being a national champion should be arrived at objectively - not subjectively.

Playoffs end the guessing, and takes the power away from the pen wielding press and less than objective coaches.

How many times has the #1 team in basketball been sent home without a trophy in the NCAA basketball tourney? More than I can remember.

If a playoff system is good enough for all of the other sports - what is keeping football from joining them and decding a real champion? What they are doing now is a joke.

I’m not philosophically opposed to a playoff, but the love of all things holy they need to cap it at 4 teams.

To apply RJ’s example of the NCAA basketball tournament, already this season, the men’s #1 team has lost twice.

There has also been a top 5 matchup already (#1 Florida vs. #4 Kansas).

AND NO ONE CARED A WHIT.

Seriously, two Top 5 National Title contenders played on a neutral court, and it might as well have been an exhibition game for all it mattered.

College football is the ONLY sport where a champion has to play like a champion from day one. They can’t take a couple of games off like in the NFL. They can’t take a month off like in College BBall. They can’t take half the damn season off like in the NBA or MLB. They’ve got to be ready to rumble from the opening kick in September to the final gun in January. No excuses.

I love that! A four team playoff would still hurt this setup (this year, a two-loss LSU team would likely make the final four), but the damage to the regular season would be minimized.

An eight-team playoff would be worse, but a 16-team playoff would pretty much render all of September irrelevant.

And remember, all the teams that we’re talking about getting “screwed” or “left out” LOST A GAME!

Lose a game, and you lose any right to bitch about where you end up. Rather than complain about getting left out, Michigan and Florida should’ve just balled up and won all their games like Ohio State did.