T Nation

U2 One of the Greatest Rock Bands?

In my opinion yes. I love the hard Slayer type stuff when I need maximum testosterone fuel, but the majority of time I love U2 and U2 style music, think Coldplay.

I recently saw U2 live and was totally and thoroughly blown away. They sounded on the top of their game. The songs from the new album sounded better live which for me is hard to believe.

One, Bad, New Years Day, among many other classics were played to a perfection and power that you can only get from a live performance.

The energy from the crowd was off the scale as well. Hands down the best concert I have ever been to. The last great performance to this level I saw was the Smashing Pumpkins when they headlined Lallapalooza (sp?) in 94.

They’re often called the breatest or biggest band in the world, but like anything having to do with taste, its all about what you like. But in terms of popularity, radio play, longevity and record sales, they are definitely one of today’s great bands. Definitely not 1-hit wonders.

[quote]Elkhntr1 wrote:

I recently saw U2 live and was totally and thoroughly blown away. They sounded on the top of their game. The songs from the new album sounded better live which for me is hard to believe.

[/quote]

Did the Kings of Leon open up for this recent show? If so what did you think? I have loved them guys since they came out a couple of years ago.

I am not a huge U2 fan, but I can’t argue that they are not one of the greatest bands ever. They seem to be really good people too, as far as all their charitable donations and all.

I gotta agree with you Elk. I was one of the few, the very few, to see U2 live at Redrocks in 1983 when they filmed Under a Blood Red Sky. It was the week after my high school graduation, the first week in June, and it was fraeking freezing. Redrocks was less than half full, but to this day, just about any Colorado U2 fan will tell you he was there.

I recently bought the DVD “Go Home”. I highly reccomend it. You have to read the insert, because it explains the mood of the concert. It was filmed a week after Bono’s fathers funeral, so songs like Kite and One were highly emotional. There are other sidebars, but all in all, it is a must have for any fan. No doubt U2 is one of the greatest bands of all time. But who else? I’ll say The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Clash…others?

I used to like their old stuff. But I agree with Sonny, I think it is personal preference. Bono just annoys me anymore with all of his political BS which is probably one reason why all of their new stuff annoys me. I recently read a quote on U2 from Henry Rollins. I thought it was kind of funny. Im not knocking your band here Elk, Like I said it is just personal preference. I have heard they put on a great show and they obviously have some serious longevity.

Henry Rollins on…

The chameleons of pop, U2:

“Here’s a band who cannot go out and play their early songs with a straight face. They can’t go out and play ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday,’ because that was a different pose. That was when bubble-butt had the big white flag…Now shithead is wearing a gold lam? suit, slicked-back hair and mirror shades, and he’s coming at you from K-Mart… They are the Pat Boone, they are the Death Star, they are the death of music.”

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

I certainly agree that everybody has their preferences. I have simply always liked U2 and the music they play… ya know. you can’t deny what brings pleasure to your ears and their music does it for me.

I realy don’t pay attention to Bono’s political escapades, I just dig the music.

Big&40, I’m gonna have to check that DVD out talk to you about it later.

Joebob, we were having some beers in LoDo (Denver) when the Kings of Leon played so I missed them. I have heard mixed reviews on them though and wish I would have got a chance to see them. I’ll try to download some of their music tonight.

[quote]doogie wrote:
/http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst/
[/quote]

Wow, that was harsh!!

“Well thats just nitpicking” (Spinal Tap)

U2 one of the greatest rock bands?

Never.

I am not a huge fan of U2’s recent stuff but they are one of the greatest bands of all time. If I was only allowed 10 CD’s to listen to for the rest of my life Actung Baby would be on the list. I understand what Rollins is saying but War came out in 1983, so of course when they get a little older and world wise their music is going to reflect that. Plus the The Sweetest Thing is one of the best songs ever written.

[quote]Joebob wrote:

Did the Kings of Leon open up for this recent show? If so what did you think? I have loved them guys since they came out a couple of years ago.
[/quote]

They did open for U2 at the Seattle show a few weeks back and sounded good. For the last song of their set, Eddie Vedder came out and sang with them. Everyone was blown away.

Please…

Rolling Stones.

[quote]doogie wrote:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst[/quote]

The guy who wrote that needs to relax and get laid…chill out bro.

[quote]40&Big wrote:
I gotta agree with you Elk. I was one of the few, the very few, to see U2 live at Redrocks in 1983 when they filmed Under a Blood Red Sky. It was the week after my high school graduation, the first week in June, and it was fraeking freezing. Redrocks was less than half full, but to this day, just about any Colorado U2 fan will tell you he was there.

I recently bought the DVD “Go Home”. I highly reccomend it. You have to read the insert, because it explains the mood of the concert. It was filmed a week after Bono’s fathers funeral, so songs like Kite and One were highly emotional. There are other sidebars, but all in all, it is a must have for any fan. No doubt U2 is one of the greatest bands of all time. But who else? I’ll say The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Clash…others? [/quote]

I think the Clash are horribly overrated, but anyway, I’d throw in
AC/DC and Metallica.

I really liked their early stuff like the stuff they did at the 1983 Red Rocks concert.

All of their other stuff is just so-so. I’d listen to it, but I wouldn’t buy it.

But then again - I have everthing .38 Special ever recorded, so I come from a totally different place, musically.

I don’t even count U2 as a rock band. The Stones, Lead Zepp, and groups like that, THAT is rock. U2 is more like a pop band.

[quote]Massif wrote:
I don’t even count U2 as a rock band. The Stones, Lead Zepp, and groups like that, THAT is rock. U2 is more like a pop band.[/quote]

Exactly.

As many others have said… U2 also abuses their fan base.

Of any band they abuse their popularity to release songs that, to me, just don’t make sense. The whole song Elevation just doesn’t make sense.

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Please…

Rolling Stones. [/quote]

Tri, I hear you. The Stones have been among my favorites for years as well. Everything from the Spider and the fly to Emotional rescue and beyond. As well as Hendrix, The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who, but for my taste U2 is right up there with em.

Hold on Loosely RJ, Hold on Loosely…

I’m going to have to side with the Liberal. U2 is a great band, fantastic band.

The Edge has accomplished some very unique sounds which, even though they vary from album to album, they are difinitively his.

GAINER