T Nation

U.S. Forces Killed UK Reporter

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/10/13/lloyd.inquest/index.html

Yes it is too bad this guy lost his life but I think this is a prime example as to why reporters should not be in a war zone to get today’s big story.

War is Hell. Sounds like he was a little too foreward in the line of fire. I give the guy credit for having the balls to be there. Unfortunately, that bullet should have been in an insurgents head instead of a reporter’s back.

It is a risky occupation. I respect the courage of these guys but when they are killed they have themselves to blame.

He got shot three years ago during a gun battle and as he was being evacuated in a private vehicle apparently the vehicle was fired on by US forces and he was killed.

I don’t know if they thought the enemy was fleeing the fight in the vehicle or what.

Unfortunately some jackasses will try to use this to run down the US and the soldiers risking their lives.

[quote]trailrash wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/10/13/lloyd.inquest/index.html

Yes it is too bad this guy lost his life but I think this is a prime example as to why reporters should not be in a war zone to get today’s big story. [/quote]

That would be fine if this was truly an accident…however, the controversy is that many seem to believe it wasn’t. As long as there is war and a story to cover, there will be journalists attempting to get a story from it.

Yes, the reporter standing in a hurricane to give the story about it is putting themselves at risk and I doubt any of them are unaware of it. However, if someone comes up and stabs them while in the hurricane, we can’t blame the reporter for it.

That’s what happens when you get a camera with the hopes of uncovering crooked or unlawfull troops. Soldiers don’t take kindly to snitches, or potential snitches.

Let me head-off all the anti-war folks before they populate this thread with their idiot/hate-speech:

While the U.S. military is incompetent, the real fault for the man’s death lies with George W. Bush. He RUSHED TO WAR looking for NON-EXISTENT WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. We all know that the war is really about OIL. Therefore we say to you Mr. Bush, “No more blood for oil!” We also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Bush is liar. We know that BUSH LIED, KIDS DIED. So let me slip that in here, right now.

We also know that Bush is dumb and stupid and he looks like an ape. He is often depicted as BEING a little monkey by the totally non-biased polical cartoonists across this nation which is quickly becoming a fascist state under Bushilter’s evil regime for oil and glorification of Fox News.

After Bush reinstitutes the draft and more KIDS DIE, he will declare martial law and will never leave office. If you don’t belive it, read the PROTOCOLS OF THE ELDERS OF ZION, Volume II. It’s all in there.

In closing I’d like to say that BUSH KNEW, WHEN CLINTON LIED NO ONE DIED, and BUSHITLER.

I find it tough to make throw out an opinion on stuff like this because I’ve never been in the situation those soldiers are in.

I mean, somebody is literally trying to kill them, you know, put an end to their life, every minute of every day. How many people on here can say they know what that feels like? I know I can’t.

I kind of have the feeling that if I was put into a combat situation with people trying to end my life, I’d be shooting everything that moves.

Kind of like if I get jumped by 4 guys on the street, my concepts of ‘fighting fair’ go out the window pretty damn quick…

This is an unfortunate outcome of war being used as political ammunition against America. Many libs love to villify American servicemen and this is no different, other than it is British libs jumping on this (for now).

As for a war crime, that’s BS. Since this was an unmarked civilian vehicle allegedly being used for non-standard casualty evacuation, which may or may not have had armed enemy in it while fleeing the scene of a firefight (retreating), it still presented a legal target.

It’s too bad this reporter was killed, but that does not constitute a war crime.

We should hear what Hillary or Nancy Pelosi will say about this.

Great Post.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
It is a risky occupation. I respect the courage of these guys but when they are killed they have themselves to blame.

He got shot three years ago during a gun battle and as he was being evacuated in a private vehicle apparently the vehicle was fired on by US forces and he was killed.

I don’t know if they thought the enemy was fleeing the fight in the vehicle or what.

Unfortunately some jackasses will try to use this to run down the US and the soldiers risking their lives.[/quote]

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
I find it tough to make throw out an opinion on stuff like this because I’ve never been in the situation those soldiers are in.

I mean, somebody is literally trying to kill them, you know, put an end to their life, every minute of every day. How many people on here can say they know what that feels like? I know I can’t.

I kind of have the feeling that if I was put into a combat situation with people trying to end my life, I’d be shooting everything that moves.

Kind of like if I get jumped by 4 guys on the street, my concepts of ‘fighting fair’ go out the window pretty damn quick…[/quote]

War has never been pretty and ‘fair’. The issues we have now simply weren’t issues during the Civil war, during WWI/II, or even in Desert Storm. They have reporters now who can give reports by video phone making the constant coverage of all events a recent issue. I have no doubt our men and women over there are handling this better than anyone who ever fought in any war before now. I also have no doubt that every fart is being recorded and reported on causing us to have to answer for the smallest mistake in combat. I am not sure that is fair at all…I only know that if it becomes public, we can’t act as if we should sweep it back under the rug.

Either accept growing technology on all fronts, or put an end to it.

Chances are, you were taped by at least 10 different cameras on the way to work this morning from ATM’s to traffic cameras. Isn’t that a bit much?

Shouldn’t we be concerned on ALL levels?

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
Let me head-off all the anti-war folks before they populate this thread with their idiot/hate-speech:

While the U.S. military is incompetent, the real fault for the man’s death lies with George W. Bush. He RUSHED TO WAR looking for NON-EXISTENT WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. We all know that the war is really about OIL. Therefore we say to you Mr. Bush, “No more blood for oil!” We also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Bush is liar. We know that BUSH LIED, KIDS DIED. So let me slip that in here, right now.

We also know that Bush is dumb and stupid and he looks like an ape. He is often depicted as BEING a little monkey by the totally non-biased polical cartoonists across this nation which is quickly becoming a fascist state under Bushilter’s evil regime for oil and glorification of Fox News.

After Bush reinstitutes the draft and more KIDS DIE, he will declare martial law and will never leave office. If you don’t belive it, read the PROTOCOLS OF THE ELDERS OF ZION, Volume II. It’s all in there.

In closing I’d like to say that BUSH KNEW, WHEN CLINTON LIED NO ONE DIED, and BUSHITLER.[/quote]

Dude, you are such a dork.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
I find it tough to make throw out an opinion on stuff like this because I’ve never been in the situation those soldiers are in.

I mean, somebody is literally trying to kill them, you know, put an end to their life, every minute of every day. How many people on here can say they know what that feels like? I know I can’t.

I kind of have the feeling that if I was put into a combat situation with people trying to end my life, I’d be shooting everything that moves.

Kind of like if I get jumped by 4 guys on the street, my concepts of ‘fighting fair’ go out the window pretty damn quick…[/quote]

Good point…

[quote]Patrick Williams wrote:

We should hear what Hillary or Nancy Pelosi will say about this.[/quote]

Hillary is probably smart enough to keep her mouth shut. Pelosi isn’t quite so bright.

Exactly, it will always be VERY easy to criticize from the safety of your home, especially when a lot of the people doing the criticizing have never been in a tactical situation.

Don’t mistake my statement as a get out of jail free card for those that commit criminal acts, at any level. All I ask is to simply analyze the entire situation before one makes criticisms of a tactical situation in which they have no real life experience.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
I find it tough to make throw out an opinion on stuff like this because I’ve never been in the situation those soldiers are in.

I mean, somebody is literally trying to kill them, you know, put an end to their life, every minute of every day. How many people on here can say they know what that feels like? I know I can’t.

I kind of have the feeling that if I was put into a combat situation with people trying to end my life, I’d be shooting everything that moves.

Kind of like if I get jumped by 4 guys on the street, my concepts of ‘fighting fair’ go out the window pretty damn quick…[/quote]

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
Let me head-off all the anti-war folks before they populate this thread with their idiot/hate-speech:

While the U.S. military is incompetent, the real fault for the man’s death lies with George W. Bush. He RUSHED TO WAR looking for NON-EXISTENT WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. We all know that the war is really about OIL. Therefore we say to you Mr. Bush, “No more blood for oil!” We also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Bush is liar. We know that BUSH LIED, KIDS DIED. So let me slip that in here, right now.

We also know that Bush is dumb and stupid and he looks like an ape. He is often depicted as BEING a little monkey by the totally non-biased polical cartoonists across this nation which is quickly becoming a fascist state under Bushilter’s evil regime for oil and glorification of Fox News.

After Bush reinstitutes the draft and more KIDS DIE, he will declare martial law and will never leave office. If you don’t belive it, read the PROTOCOLS OF THE ELDERS OF ZION, Volume II. It’s all in there.

In closing I’d like to say that BUSH KNEW, WHEN CLINTON LIED NO ONE DIED, and BUSHITLER.[/quote]

Shit… I should have known it would turn into this…

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
Let me head-off all the anti-war folks before they populate this thread with their idiot/hate-speech:

While the U.S. military is incompetent, the real fault for the man’s death lies with George W. Bush. He RUSHED TO WAR looking for NON-EXISTENT WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. We all know that the war is really about OIL. Therefore we say to you Mr. Bush, “No more blood for oil!” We also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Bush is liar. We know that BUSH LIED, KIDS DIED. So let me slip that in here, right now.

We also know that Bush is dumb and stupid and he looks like an ape. He is often depicted as BEING a little monkey by the totally non-biased political cartoonists across this nation which is quickly becoming a fascist state under Bushilter’s evil regime for oil and glorification of Fox News.

After Bush re-institutes the draft and more KIDS DIE, he will declare martial law and will never leave office. If you don’t believe it, read the PROTOCOLS OF THE ELDERS OF ZION, Volume II. It’s all in there.

In closing I’d like to say that BUSH KNEW, WHEN CLINTON LIED NO ONE DIED, and BUSHITLER.[/quote]
You pretty much personified the “pussification of America crowd”.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
trailrash wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/10/13/lloyd.inquest/index.html

Yes it is too bad this guy lost his life but I think this is a prime example as to why reporters should not be in a war zone to get today’s big story.

That would be fine if this was truly an accident…however, the controversy is that many seem to believe it wasn’t. As long as there is war and a story to cover, there will be journalists attempting to get a story from it.

Yes, the reporter standing in a hurricane to give the story about it is putting themselves at risk and I doubt any of them are unaware of it. However, if someone comes up and stabs them while in the hurricane, we can’t blame the reporter for it.[/quote]

I see your point and I realise what the controversy is I’m just not so sure a reporter belongs in these types of situations to begin with because things like this happen; accidents or not.

Here you have a soldier who has been dodging bullets for who knows how long, in a frame of mind I cannot possibly imagine being in and we expect them to distinguish the enemies from the innocent and make the correct decision every time. Thats a lot ot ask given the situation. It just seems that the reporters can make a tough situation tougher.

[quote]Patrick Williams wrote:
This is an unfortunate outcome of war being used as political ammunition against America. Many libs love to villify American servicemen and this is no different, other than it is British libs jumping on this (for now).

As for a war crime, that’s BS. Since this was an unmarked civilian vehicle allegedly being used for non-standard casualty evacuation, which may or may not have had armed enemy in it while fleeing the scene of a firefight (retreating), it still presented a legal target.

It’s too bad this reporter was killed, but that does not constitute a war crime.

We should hear what Hillary or Nancy Pelosi will say about this.[/quote]

“may or may not” is a “legal target” ?

[quote]lovehunter wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
Let me head-off all the anti-war folks before they populate this thread with their idiot/hate-speech:

While the U.S. military is incompetent, the real fault for the man’s death lies with George W. Bush. He RUSHED TO WAR looking for NON-EXISTENT WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. We all know that the war is really about OIL. Therefore we say to you Mr. Bush, “No more blood for oil!” We also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Bush is liar. We know that BUSH LIED, KIDS DIED. So let me slip that in here, right now.

We also know that Bush is dumb and stupid and he looks like an ape. He is often depicted as BEING a little monkey by the totally non-biased polical cartoonists across this nation which is quickly becoming a fascist state under Bushilter’s evil regime for oil and glorification of Fox News.

After Bush reinstitutes the draft and more KIDS DIE, he will declare martial law and will never leave office. If you don’t belive it, read the PROTOCOLS OF THE ELDERS OF ZION, Volume II. It’s all in there.

In closing I’d like to say that BUSH KNEW, WHEN CLINTON LIED NO ONE DIED, and BUSHITLER.

Dude, you are such a dork.
[/quote]

Unfortunately that is pretty much taken word for word from a number of the frequent posters in the Politics forum.

Not that I endorse Hack trashing a thread with their tripe, but it is funny.

[quote]swivel wrote:
Patrick Williams wrote:
This is an unfortunate outcome of war being used as political ammunition against America. Many libs love to villify American servicemen and this is no different, other than it is British libs jumping on this (for now).

As for a war crime, that’s BS. Since this was an unmarked civilian vehicle allegedly being used for non-standard casualty evacuation, which may or may not have had armed enemy in it while fleeing the scene of a firefight (retreating), it still presented a legal target.

It’s too bad this reporter was killed, but that does not constitute a war crime.

We should hear what Hillary or Nancy Pelosi will say about this.

“may or may not” is a “legal target” ?[/quote]

In the middle of a firefight it may be.

Can any military guys clarify this?