T Nation

U-Rows/Shoulder Press - Antagonist?

I have started pairing upright rows with shoulder press as my antagonist pair.

Any thoughts if this is to much exposure to the shoulder, and would be better to pair pullups/shoulder press?

Both the upright row and shoulder press involve scapular elevation and humeral flexion/abduction; they aren’t antagonistic at all.

Pullups would be a better choice.
Prone lower trap raises would be good as well.

[quote]CRisenhoover wrote:
I have started pairing upright rows with shoulder press as my antagonist pair.

Any thoughts if this is to much exposure to the shoulder, and would be better to pair pullups/shoulder press?[/quote]

It really sucks when somebody as smart as Eric beats you to an answer, and writes it more eloquently than you would.

thanks for the response and great answer!

follow question - what would be the appropriate antagonist exercise for U-rows?

Great Q, I’ve always wondered the same thing.

Glad to have ppl around here with answers. hehe

Eric;

What are prone lower trap raises ?

Brian

[quote]CRisenhoover wrote:
follow question - what would be the appropriate antagonist exercise for U-rows?[/quote]

Push-ups / dips on a pull-up bar rofl. You know. Altough the ROM cam be pretty limited. Anyhoo, I found this to be a little better (and harder) than regular push-ups lol

[quote]Black Thorn wrote:
CRisenhoover wrote:
follow question - what would be the appropriate antagonist exercise for U-rows?

Push-ups / dips on a pull-up bar rofl. You know. Altough the ROM cam be pretty limited. Anyhoo, I found this to be a little better (and harder) than regular push-ups lol[/quote]

The exact opposite to an upright row would be dips with your body perpendicular to the bar (rather than parallel). I’m going to try this next time I do dips, to see if it’s even possible.

What about really ugly tricep pushdowns with a cable machine(gasp!)and a straight bar, just using the same path, only pushing the opposite direction than U-rows.

[quote]bound wrote:
What about really ugly tricep pushdowns with a cable machine(gasp!)and a straight bar, just using the same path, only pushing the opposite direction than U-rows.[/quote]

This sounds better than my idea.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
bound wrote:
What about really ugly tricep pushdowns with a cable machine(gasp!)and a straight bar, just using the same path, only pushing the opposite direction than U-rows.

This sounds better than my idea.[/quote]

But wy not use a pull-up bar? It’s so much cooler to do this on a pull-up bar. And it works the abs :smiley: