Tyramine and Grow!

My girlfriend is currently taking a profilactic medication for people who have been exposed to tuberculosis called Isonaizid (she works in hospitals, and some sick bastard must have coughed on her). With this medication, she is to avoid foods containing high amounts of histamine and tyramine.

Upon searching for what foods she should avoid, I came across a couple of lists that mentioned “protein extracts”. Being the T-Vixen in training that she is, she likes to consume LC Grow!, so I have been trying to figure out if protein powders, and specifically Grow!, would contain an appreciable amount of tyramine. Thus far, I have not been able to get a solid answer from anyone.

From what I understand, tyramine is simply an amino acid that can be found in many aged meats, aged cheeses, or other protein sources that have been cured, dried, or aged. I guess tyrosine is converted to tyramine in the aging process, or something to that effect. With this in mind, I wouldn’t think that protein powder would be a problem (since it isn’t really “aged”), but I keep seeing “protein extracts” pop up on certain “tyramine-free” food lists.

Anyone have any clue on this one? Bill Roberts, are you out there?

And the award for “most esoteric question” goes to…

Esoteric, yes. Important, yes. I honestly didn’t want to post this on the forum because I figured it wouldn’t get many responses, but I don’t know where else to go for an answer (Biotest Customer Service did all they could, but could not come to a solid conclusion).

Hey buddy-I’m not sure if this helps, but the tyrosine content of casein and whey isolate is extremely low as a percentage of total amino acids (5.6% and 5.7%, respectively). Although I’m not sure of MPI’s value, I doubt it would be much different. With such a small dosage (assuming she’s not taking it in for every meal), I don’t see how it could be a problem. She’s probably getting just as much from a gulp of cottage cheese or uh, other stuff that you provide (not Grow!:)).

Dude with the INH she is taking there main concern believe it or not for tyramine containing foods are cheeses. She needs to take the INH 1-2 hours after eating to decrease GI distress. Besides tyramine, high histamine foods can cause a problem, so a friendly nutritionist, here is the standard list of foods to certainly avoid when on INH: aged cheeses, salami, mortadella, air-dried sausage, soy sauce, soy beans (all soy), miso soup, fava beans, broad beans, sauerkraut, kim chee, tap beer (sorry Patricia), yeast extracts, banana peels (ised as a flavoring agent), pizza. Limit wime and soda.

Hope this helps.

Doug Kalman

Thanks for the help, fellas.

I was aware of most of the foods on your list, Doug, but a few of them I hadn’t seen…

Eric, good point…enough said:)

I think we’ll see how she reacts to a small Grow! shake once a day and take it from there.