T Nation

Typical Values Of Formulas? Accuracy?

I have a question,I would try the searh function,but don’t know where to start-I’m not sure what to put in the box!

I have a feeling this is either going to be seen as a very intelligent question…or a very stupid question.

It is possible I haven’t thought this through or am missing something,but here goes-

I always used to buy all the ingredients I want for my protein shakes/MRP’s seperately from myprotein.co.uk in bulk and put together my own custom formulas,for various reasons.

But they are now selling a couple of complete formulas which interest me,with some good ingredients,and it would be easier for me to budget if I started buying one of these,also less hassle than storing several large tubs (space is an issue!) and mixing.

But,When I mix MY formula,I know EXACTLY what is in each serving,as I add it and mix it myself,scoop by scoop.

But here is my question-
How can a company tell me how much of what is in each serving?

You see advertised for all companies formulas ‘each serving contains…’ for example-15g Casein protein,10g Whey Isolate Protein,10g Whole egg powder,6g Soy Protein,4g Creatine,3g HMB.

Given the above example,how do they know my scoop contains the above ingredients in that exact proportion? how do they know I haven’t scooped up 25g of casein,5g of whey,8g of creatine,7g of HMB,etc…
Are all of the particles assimilated into each other by some process?

Or is it a mathematical probability that assures a fairly consistent portion?
If so,what are the odds of getting a scoop that is way off?

Further compounding the issue,companies selling all sort of supplements and foods often use the term ‘typical values’ when listing quatities,which does suggest an element of chance!

I think it is unlikely that there is substantial scoop-to-scoop variation within a jug of protein powder. Once physically mixed, and the manufacturing process involves a very thorough mixing, it’s fairly hard for particularly for fine, somewhat sticky powders to separate back out again.

It would be sort of like wondering if you took a mix of $1, $5, $10, $20, and $100 bills and shook them up thoroughly inside a large container, then immediately packed them down moderately and kept them in a small container, that after a while the $100 bills would work their way to one section, the $5 bills to another, etc.

They just don’t have physical properties that will cause them to separate out like that.

Neither do the protein powders and generally not added supplements like HMB.

However, if you did have a coarse-grained ingredient or one that was unusually dense or light then such a thing might happen. In that event, all that would be needed would be occasional shaking of the jug before taking out a scoop.

On your exact way of putting the question, as to whether it’s a mathematical probability, yes, as in rather that it’s extremely improbable that entropy (randomness) would spontaneously decrease without some type of energy driving it. Powders separating back out would represent a reduction in entropy. This has no significant probability of occuring unless there is an energy which drives the process. Generally speaking with these powders there is no such factor.

unless you get those exact proportions in each and every scoop…you’ll never make any gains. and you’ll probably die. hope that helps