T Nation

Typical Day of Eating with Pics; Suggestions Appreciated

Just wanted to share a typical day of eats for my clean bulk. Comments and advice appreciated.

Breakfast @ 9:00

Foods: Scrambled eggs (2 whole + 4 whites), 1 cup mixed veggies (broccoli, peppers, onions), 1 cup oats, 1/2 cup blueberries, cup of black coffee
650 calories: 90g carb/ 45g protein/ 15g fat
Supps: 1 Opti-Men, 1 Fish oil, 2 kre-alkalyn

Lunch @ 12:30

Foods: ~6oz chicken breast, 3 cups spinach, 15 almonds, cucumber slices, balsamic vinegar and olive oil
400 calories: 10g carb/ 45g protein/ 18g fat

PreWorkout @ 3:00

Foods: 2/3 cup oats, 1 scoop ON whey, black coffee
320 calories: 40g carb/ 30g protein/ 5g fat

Workout 3:30-4:30

PostWorkout @ 4:45

Foods: 1.5 large bananas, 1.5 scoops ON whey, 1.5 cup skim milk
450 calories: 60g carb/ 50g protein/ 2g fat

Dinner @ 7:00

Foods: 8oz chicken breast, 3 cups broccoli, 1/2 cup black beans, balsamic vinegar and olive oil, green tea
500 calories: 43g carb/ 55g protein/ 14g fat
Supps: 1 Opti-men, 1 fish oil

Prebed @ 10:00

Foods: 2 tbsp Natty PB, 1 scoop ON casein, 4oz greek yogurt
350 calories: 10g carb/ 40g protein/ 16g fat

Totals
~2700 calories: 255g carbs/ 260g protein/ 70g fat
aiming for 40/40/20 split on a clean bulk

Training is lifting 5 days a week, 1 day of 20 min HIIT, 1 day off

Been clean bulking since May
-Started at 125lb and now at about 135lb

Off to a good start. How long did it take to put on those ten pounds?

My only advice might be to try upping your carbs to accelerate your gains. You don't want your body wasting energy breaking down dietary protein to burn for fuel rather than turning it into muscle.

But if you're making consistent progress and this is working for you, keep going.

Nice work man. Congrats on the gains. The pics were really nicely done. Great post.

How much water are you drinking daily?

The only criticism is that you might be too meticulous with your planning, but otherwise it sounds great! After a while I'd recommend trying a few changes, and maybe even just eat 'til content and use the mirror for your gauge. Your body doesn't necessarily need the same amount of each macro on a daily basis.

Thanks for the pic compliments man!

I typically have about a gallon of water a day as well as my coffee, cup of tea, and milk in my shake. Not sure if it's relevant but I pee like a horse haha. I'm usually going every 1-2 hours during the day a 2-3 times at night.

I do know what you mean about being too meticulous though. I don't want to fall into the "live to eat" category instead of "eating to live", but I actually really enjoy cooking and eating the foods I do. It's also just easier for me to eat pretty much the same thing every day as long as I don't get bored of it. Makes me be sure I hit my macros and keeps the grocery bills lower.

If I don't start to notice gains a little faster though I'll probably up the carbs a bit or just add in 2 cups of milk throughout the day to my oats.

My only suggestion would be to try the paleo diet for a while, but otherwise keep up the good work!

What is your height OP?

Looks good to me, just make sure to adjust your total caloric intake every 2 weeks or so based on how quickly (or slowly) you're putting on weight relative to your goal.

Could you give me the clifs version of the paleo diet, and why would you recommend it for me?

Also I'm just under 5'10'' or 175cm for those using metric. I weighed in at 129lbs after peeing this morning and was 134lbs before bed last night.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/paleo_diet_cookbook

It improves health and digestion. I don't know that you need it for those reasons. it was just a tip. it works for most that seem to try it, and you seem to be fairly regimented so you could probably pull it off.

5'10" and 134 pounds is very skinny. I'd up the cals right now. Any reason why you wouldn't, or that you'd be hesitant? I don't think you have a need to clean bulk at your current weight. Your body will most likely easily put on mostly muscle rather than fat if your food choices are good.

This is why I asked.