Type of Hypertrophy Produced by 20 Rep

[quote]brownab wrote:
DGC13 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Hey dude,

How much weight do ya reckon you’ll be starting this program with?

Not sure if you mean body weight or 10RM, but…
BW: 185lbs 8-9%BF
10RM: 190-210lbs (not sure cuz i havent been that high in reps for awhile)

why do u ask? is this prog geared more toward those with a 10RM of say 315? if so, IYO, what would be a minimum 10RM to start?

My guess is he’s asking because for a person who squats roughly bodyweight for sets of ten to be worrying about what type of hypertrophy a program will elicit is asinine. Also, unless your 7’4", at 185 with a squat of 250-275 your not as strong as you can possibly be at that weight or anywhere near it.
[/quote]

I am 5’11" and have been a pussy focusing on my upper body for a very longtime…I have tiny legs. so YES…i very well could be at my max strength for the size of my legs. could explain why i have been stuck there for a month. how is it asinine to want the most effective, efficient method possible regardless of size? there is a diff between the 2 types of mass you know…i can explain it if you’d like

you guys are pretty harsh…just dont answer if you wanna slam me down

[quote]OBoile wrote:
DGC13 wrote:
pf wrote:
DGC13 wrote:
I just finished a solid strength phase and got my strength deficit to only 8%.

WTF does that mean

In a nutshell your strength deficit is the % diff between your absolute (potential) strength and your actual strength. tells you where u stand in regards to your training…low % means you’re using most of the motor units and its time to move on to a mass phase…

So how exactly do you know your “absolute” strength?[/quote]

Eastern bloc guys calculated it in a lab using EMS. For more practical purposes, they found that a 6 second controlled eccentric movement correlates very well with this ABS strength. compare that to your 1RM and you have your strength deficit

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
You are splitting pubes.

Stop fucking splitting pubes.

Just fucking squat.[/quote]

Damn Mike, could you please just get to the point !!

Man I really have no idea what your babbling about… Squat whether it be with high reps or low reps just squat… I f you want mass go with some higher reps if you want power go with lower heavier reps and keep moving heavier and heavier wieght. There is absolutely no need to turn this into rocket science its simple…

1.Get under the bar in the squat rack.
2.Unrack Weight and Tighten Core.
3.SQUAT
4.Rack Weight.
5.Rest.
6.Repeat.

[quote]brownab wrote:
DGC13 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Hey dude,

why do u ask? is this prog geared more toward those with a 10RM of say 315? if so, IYO, what would be a minimum 10RM to start?

My guess is he’s asking because for a person who squats roughly bodyweight for sets of ten to be worrying about what type of hypertrophy a program will elicit is asinine. Also, unless your 7’4", at 185 with a squat of 250-275 your not as strong as you can possibly be at that weight or anywhere near it.
[/quote]

Spot on.

Looks like TypeIIb reregistration with a new username.

[quote]pf wrote:
DGC13 wrote:
I just finished a solid strength phase and got my strength deficit to only 8%.

WTF does that mean[/quote]

I did the 20 reps last winter and just checked my log. In a little under 6 weeks probably, I added 30 lbs to my 1RM, which was low to start with and I was doing sets of 20 at weights I was doing 5x5 sets across w/ before I started the program.

I added between 8-15lbs of bodyweight and felt much, much stronger at the end of the program.

I would be interested in seeing what happened if I did a 5x5 or something similar w/ the amount of food I was taking in though.

[quote]DGC13 wrote:
brownab wrote:
DGC13 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Hey dude,

I am 5’11" and have been a pussy focusing on my upper body for a very longtime…I have tiny legs. so YES…i very well could be at my max strength for the size of my legs. could explain why i have been stuck there for a month. how is it asinine to want the most effective, efficient method possible regardless of size? there is a diff between the 2 types of mass you know…i can explain it if you’d like

you guys are pretty harsh…just dont answer if you wanna slam me down[/quote]

“Just fucking squat.” This is the best advice of the thread. This program will cause both sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy, the extent of both (especially the former) will depend on you diet (hence the advice that you eat a lot.) There’s your answer. Happy?
I love reading T-Nation and I have read many books on training (I have many leather-bound books and my den smells of mahogany,) but tomorrow afternoon I’m going to close my book, turn off my computer, strap my cock on, put the bar on my back, and bend my fucking knees.

Instead of focusing on the “type of hypertrophy produced by 20 rep squats” why don’t you worry about getting your squat technique flawless. I would be heavily willing to wager that you probably have at least one form-related issue if you’re squatting around 250-275, and have been training long enough to be talking about sarcomeric vs. sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and percentages of strength defecit. Posting a video of your squat form would be REALLY helpful.

While I agree with the “just fucking squat” mentality here, I don’t even know if you should be “just fucking squatting” - maybe I’d say “just fucking single-leg box squat and do glute bridges.”

Instead of overanalyzing trivial points about sarcomeric hypertrophy, why don’t you analyze why you suck at the squat? Then fix it. I guarantee the reason you suck at the squat has NOTHING to do with sarcomeric hypertrophy or 20 rep squats.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitHybridStrongman_100Backsquats200lbs.wmv

Some people don’t care about types of hypertrophy and strength deficits. Some people just squat.

What type of answer are you expecting here? Unless a study has been done, it is impossible to tell you with certainly.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing… Oh also, sarcoplasmic hypertrophy can facilitate myofibrillar hypertrophy, so so long as you’re doing some heavy low rep work (along with the 20rep program), you will continue to head in the right direction.

Seriously though, I would focus less on analyzing every little aspect of your training and just focus on staying motivated, keeping your diet straight, and resting your body in between sessions.

[quote]malonetd wrote:

Some people don’t care about types of hypertrophy and strength deficits. Some people just squat.[/quote]

That was positively fucking sick.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitHybridStrongman_100Backsquats200lbs.wmv

Some people don’t care about types of hypertrophy and strength deficits. Some people just squat.[/quote]

That is really pretty impressive. I did my bodyweight 28 times, and just couldn’t breathe anymore. (Granted, this was after a hard ass set of squats.) Damn near didn’t make the bar back into the rack.

[quote]DGC13 wrote:

Eastern bloc guys calculated it in a lab using EMS. For more practical purposes, they found that a 6 second controlled eccentric movement correlates very well with this ABS strength. compare that to your 1RM and you have your strength deficit[/quote]

What a fucking waste of time.

Testicular hypertrophy.

[quote]Oroborus wrote:
Testicular hypertrophy.[/quote]

The most important kind of all!

i h3ar dat this makes u such a beast, that your quads explode to 55" thus making ur legs totally useless for any athletic or functional purpose.

itz a real easy program tho, u just put up some light weight for 20 reps while daydreaming, eat abit of food, and ur legs get jacked real fast its not even fair, and just become way to big. I wouldnt bother with it its probably going too be so easy for you, you will not quit midway through the 1st session and totally breeze through it.

/sarcasm

/sarcasm sarcasm is old hat.

Crossfit Hybrid training creates beasts.

So what is a strength deficit anyway?

I did 220 for 35 on Sunday to show some people it is not that hard. I weigh like 170. I only stopped because I was sweating and it was getting in my eyes. And I was getting thirsty.

Do I care about sarcomeres and neural adaptations? Do I even care about maximal hypertrophy?
No, I just like to squat.

I reckon no squat you do will ever be bad, and all will be good.

Next time I will do 50.