T Nation

Type III AC Separation and Skull Crushers

In 2009 I suffered a type III AC Separation in my left shoulder. Never had surgery, I just let it heal on its own. It has never bothered me, but I have the signature bump most people get, and my shoulder clicks/pops when doing certain movements. There has never been pain associated with the clicks and pops, so I just ignored it.

Anyway, this morning I was going through my regular workout for the day, and got to skull crushers (full extension over the head). On my 3rd and final set, on the 4th rep, as I started up with the weight, I felt something tweak in my left shoulder. Nothing painful, it just felt “odd”. It’s hard to describe, but it was like my tricep flexed 10 times harder than normal, and I felt it from my mid-tricep up to my lower neck. Again, hard to describe.

I got up, and nothing seemed to hurt, so I kept going with my workout. For the rest of my workout though, my shoulder which used to click and pop for almost every thing, didn’t do it once. I found that odd, so I started testing my ROM with it, and it was just as good as it has always been, but not a single click or pop to be heard. I went upstairs and before I said anything to her, my wife commented that my bump looked smaller. I looked in the mirror, and sure enough, it was noticeable, but not nearly as much.

2 hours later, still no soreness or tightness, still full ROM with no clicks or pops, and the bump is still less noticeable than before this morning.

My question is, what the hell did I do to my shoulder? I find it very hard to believe that this isn’t going to end up biting me in the ass eventually, hehe.

Sounds like you did some kind of self-manipulation and got the joint to seat better. Keep an eye on it and see if you notice anything funny.

Maybe ya done good… it probably healed slightly out of place and you managed to move it back into place. You may have broken up some scar tissue in the process.

Rob

This morning when I woke up, all I felt was a dull, very mild soreness on the back of my shoulder. It almost feels like a bruise. Other than that, no problems whatsoever.

I’m inclined to agree with both of you, that somehow it “popped” back into place, or something similar. It just made me nervous when it happened because normally when something like that happens to me, it ends up bad, but such is my luck :slight_smile: