Type Ib - Pin Press Alternative?

On Day 4 of the sample Neurotype Ib (Acetylcholine) workout, can alternatives be used for bench press from pins?

Also, I just watched the introduction video of Type 1b and it says that these people are explosive and do not do well on lifting from pins, pause lifting, etc. I am wondering, if that’s the case, what is the rationale behind using lifting from pins in a type 1b workout.

Yes, the articles were written before I fully developed the system. My material is now 100% correct. So the videos are more precise. I’m also finishing an online certification on the topic

Thank you for your response. As you said in an article, most people fall in between two neurotypes, and after watching your videos I realised that I am somewhere between Type 1b and Type 2a. I love doing strength work in the 3-5 rep range for a lot of sets without burning out by grinding reps over 90%. But I also like doing bodybuilding work as assistance, albeit in the mid rep range not with high reps. The reason is I get better results if the weight is heavy enough for me to feel muscular tension; with very high reps I just feel the lactic acid without applying force, which I hate. I can also stick to a workout for 4-6 weeks, and don’t need variation as much as a pure Type 2a does. So based on your latest videos and your response above, I slightly altered the sample Type 1b program. I would greatly appreciate if you could give me your opinion.

Day 1
Activation & preparation as outlined

A. Bench Press
3 gradually heavier preparation sets
2, 5/4/3 waves
90 seconds rest between sets

B1. Dumbbell Row
4 work sets of 4-6 reps

Alternate with B2
30-45 seconds rest

B2. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
4 work sets of 4-6 reps
75-90 seconds rest

C1. Dips
3 sets of 6-8 reps

Alternate with C2
30-45 seconds rest

C2. Neutral-Grip Pull-Up
3 sets of 6-8 reps
75-90 seconds rest

Day 2

A. Back Squat
3 gradually heavier preparation sets
2, 5/4/3 waves
90 seconds rest between sets

B1. Romanian Deadlift
5 work sets of 4-6 reps (extra set for cutting back the last 3 sets on day 4; below)

B2. Leg Press
5 work sets of 4-6 reps (extra set for cutting back the last 3 sets on day 4; below)
75-90 seconds rest

C1. Glute-Ham Raise
3 sets of 6-8 reps

C2. Farmer’s Walk
3 sets of 20-30 seconds
75-90 seconds rest

Day 3
Neural Charge

Day 4

A. Bench Press
Ramp up to 3RM in 6-8 sets
75-90 seconds rest

B. Bench Press
90-95% of 3RM
3 sets of clusters for 5-6 reps, 10 seconds rest between reps
90-120 seconds rest

C. Bench Press
80-85% of 3RM
3 sets of max reps / rest 15 seconds / max reps

I removed the 3 sets in “D.” because my strength drops drastically after C. due to fatigue, which forces me decrease the weight too much. Both you and Poliquin have said that it is better do drop volume than intensity.

Instead;

D.1 Barbell Curls 4-5 x 8-10
D.2 Tricep Pushdown 4-5 x 8-10
(Type 2a work)

Day 5
A. Safety Bar Squat
Ramp up to 3RM in 6-8 sets
75-90 seconds rest

B. Safety Bar Squat
90-95% of 3RM
3 sets of clusters for 5-6 reps, 10 seconds rest between reps
90-120 seconds rest

C. Safety Bar Squat
80-85% of 3RM
3 sets of max reps / rest 15 seconds / max reps

Removed D. because of the same reason I mentioned above

Instead;

D. Prowler work

Day 6
Preparation: Band Pull-Apart, 3 sets of 8-10 reps

A. Neutral-Grip Pull-Up
3 preparation sets
2, 5/4/3 waves
75-90 seconds rest

B. Seated Cable Row
4 rest/pause sets (4-6 reps, rest 15 seconds, 2-3 additional reps)
90-120 seconds rest

C. Chest Supported Row
4 sets of 4-6 reps holding peak contraction 2 seconds per rep
75-90 seconds rest

D1. Overhead Dumbbell Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps

D2. Bent-Over Lateral Raise
3 sets of 6-8 reps holding peak contraction 2 seconds

Day 7
Off

No, you are only one neurotype but you can take characteristics when under stress. You are more likely a 2A whihc is a chameleon

Okay, then, is what I wrote above useful for a type 2a or would I be better off doing something else? I mean, I get that everything works for a Type 2a for a short period of time and that a workout needs both a neurological component and a muscular one. But are the parameters of this workout okay for these purposes?

This is from my upcoming online certification program… it’s a sample 2A template. DON’T ASK ME TO POST TEMPLATES FOR OTHER TYPES, I WON’T… It’s not that I don’t want to help, but I can’t shoot myself in the foot either!

And for an idea about splits.

1 Like

This is amazing, I could not ask for more. Thank you very much for your help.

Glad I could help

Even though I really want to, I will not. Where will this information be available? Will it be free to the public via thibarmy or tnation? I am a type 1A and still looking to find the template/program that hits the right groove.

For the moment it will only be included in my online certification program

1 Like

Any hopes for a future article? Something like a broad template or principles that we can implement on our own? What you’ve posted for 2A is gold.

You could always get certified!

1 Like

I certainly would if I had the time and money :smile:

1 Like