Type 2A Resting in Heavy Lifts

CT, looking to see if you can offer any advice.

I am a type 2a. Have used many training splits but, always go back to a p/p/l split using some form of double progression and extender or superset for arms.

I have always liked to keep rest shorter however this is an issue when lifting in the 3-6 rep range as it effects the next set. Especially after having added jumps/throws pre session, these are amazing gets me damm near jittery.

What are some good ways to add heavy lifting while keeping rest short?

Use the 1-6 protocol…

The sets of 1 potentiate for the sets of 6… the key is to go heavy enough on the sets of 1 to potentiate and make the sets of 6 feel lighter but not so heavy that it is draining. The bonus here is that you can rest 3 minutes between sets of 6, having a set of 1 midway through that rest period. The set of 1 will not impair recovery but will make you do something before the dreaded 2 minutes mark.

Something like…

Set 1: 90% x 1
Rest 90 sec
Set 2: 77.5% x 6
Rest 90 sec
Set 3: 90% x 1
Rest 90 sec
Set 4: 80% x 6
Rest 90 sec
Set 5: 90% x 1
Rest 90 sec
Set 6: 82.5% x 6
Rest 90 sec
Set 7: 90% x 1
Rest 90 sec
Set 8: 85% x 6

Note that I use percentages just for illustration purposes.

You can also use a regressive rep scheme for the even sets:

Set 1: 90% x 1
Rest 90 sec
Set 2: Heavy set of 6
Rest 90 sec
Set 3: 90% x 1
Rest 90 sec
Set 4: Heavy set of 5
Rest 90 sec
Set 5: 90% x 1
Rest 90 sec
Set 6: Heavy set of 4
Rest 90 sec
Set 7: 90% x 1
Rest 90 sec
Set 8: Heavy set of 3 (likely using the same weight as the singles)

The “work sets” are the even sets. The odd sets help you stay activated, allow you to practice your form and make the work sets feel lighter. They do have a training effect, after all they are done with a heavy weight, but should not be anywhere close to a grind or cause fatigue.

3 Likes

That looks awesome will try it today.

** Did not want to start a new thread to ask so, in your experience with 2A’s that hit everything 2x a week would it be better to have a heavy day and a lighter day or have a heavy and a lighter lift in each session?

Both will work honestly. You can change it up every 3 weeks.

1 Like

Thanks.

Have tried this for a couple sessions now and it works great. The 1 rep set really wakes/sets me up for set of 6.

**A question regarding activation sets. Can they have a negative impact on training? I get really amped up when doing pre-session activation and am wondering if they can have the effect of too much caffeine/stimulants.

**In regard to carbohydrate intake you note around a 30% intake is best for 2A would you put a cap on total carbs when overall calorie intake is on the higher side?

Yes they can. Overactivation of the CNS can make it harder to enter a “rest and recover” state post training, delaying recovery. It can also deplete CNS ressources (mostly neurotransmitters) which could lead to issues down the road.

That was just for illustration purposes. I find that for 2A with diet, as with training, variation works best. Changing fats/carbs ratios every 3-4 weeks would seem to be the best approach for them.