Type 1 Diabetic on Low Carb Diet

I used to have trouble with morning glucose levels, however, I worked it out with some experimentation.

Humalin N to the rescue. Inject it roughly 12 hours before you plan on waking up. It will peak just as gluscose is released by your liver in the am. It takes some experience, but I consistantly wake up with normal glucose levels now. The dose will depend on the person.

See now that just sounds dangerous. Insulin peaking as you wake up? I’ve gone through times of consistent morning lows, and would rather have to deal with being high for a little while than the bullshit that lows do to me…

Have any of you type I diabetics ever experimented with…

R-ALA
Cinnamon
or
Fenugreek?

Let me know if you have. Fenugreek, in particular, is high interest to me in this situation - I have read that it stimulates regneration of the pancreatic beta cells, and seems to have benefits for both types in the literature.

ok so quick question for all u type 1 diabetics. Today, I woke up with a low blood sugar of 45. I had three eggs on one piece of toast with a piece of provolone cheese on top. Altogether about 25g protein, 20g carbs, and 17 g fat.

I took no insulin for this meal seeing that I was low and had very little carbs and not a huge amount of protein. Then, a little over an hour later, my BG was 400. I realize there could be various reasons for this, but im interested to see what the experts have to say.

This is really starting to piss me off, so any input is appreciated.

This is life as a type 1 man. We were talking about the dawn phenomenon just a few posts above. Your body is going to produce glucose every morning as soon as you wake up, no matter what. Generally for me if I wake up at 80, wait 30 minutes-1 hour without eating or taking any insulin, and will be above 200.

Since you took no insulin at the beginning of the morning, and ate some food, your body was already going to release glucose and then you made it worse by eating.

Oh yea and it’s been pissing me off for 20 years so you are not alone!

This is a great thread. I have a 7 year old boy Type 1 Diabetic. I’m already pretty knowledgeable about nutrition and managing Type 1 diabetes but not even close to where you guys are. I’m inspired to learn a lot more now.

Excellent thread.

Just a word of caution then, the dawn phenomenon seems to get worse as you have diabetes for longer and longer. So a 7 year old might not get that much of it, but then again when I was 7 I took different insulins than I do now so maybe he does get it a lot if he does what I do and takes lantus in the evening and no other long-acting insulins?