Tyler Grips Versus Fat Gripz

Hey Guys whats up been reading the forums for a while. Def the most informative I’ve found…

Ive heard the (para)phrase ‘youre only as strong as your weakest’ muscle

well for me I feel my forearms are severely lacking

im trying to find out if anyone has tried both and has a preference. i mean sure they follow the same concept however the conical shape of the tyler grip makes a difference - but in what way?

if youre used to training with a standard bar would it not be better to follow suit and get the fat grips?

or are the tyler grips more advantageous due to the conical narrowing?

Many thanks

= )

how tall are you / how much do you weigh?

lifting stats?

Im 6" 190

dead 275 squat 225 and bench is pretty poor atm - i use 2 65lb dumb bells

have read is should strengthen forearms as it would help with bench etc

tri’s are OK - i dip bw+20lbs

thanks

I may be biased as I have Tyler Grips & before that EZ Grips but basically they do the same thing - increase the bar diameter to fatigue your forearms, which they do pretty damn well.

Get either or both based on your preference budget - you really can’t go wrong as long as you can work your grip in the context of shoring up/fixing your weaknesses in various lift(s).

IMO the Tyler Grip works well in that the conical shape is a little more ergonomic in terms of following the shape of the way the hand closes (narrower towards the thumb & index finger)

I’ve let other guys at the gym use my pair of Tyler Grips for deads & other gripping work & they rave about them but are too cheap to buy a pair lol but whatever. In any case, you’d be ahead to grab a pair if you can. Always good to have more tools in the toolbox as long as you use them.

sorry for semihijacking your thread but i just ordered some tyler grips actually and was wondering how i should incorporate them in my workouts. Should i use them all the time or only when i want to focus on my grip and forearms because wont that cause my lifts to decrease?

Recently tried both. No comparison. Fat Gripz are far superior.

[quote]particle1 wrote:
Hey Guys whats up been reading the forums for a while. Def the most informative I’ve found…

Ive heard the (para)phrase ‘youre only as strong as your weakest’ muscle

well for me I feel my forearms are severely lacking

im trying to find out if anyone has tried both and has a preference. i mean sure they follow the same concept however the conical shape of the tyler grip makes a difference - but in what way?

if youre used to training with a standard bar would it not be better to follow suit and get the fat grips?

or are the tyler grips more advantageous due to the conical narrowing?

Many thanks

= )[/quote]

They are both great products, I like the Fatgripz because they maintain a thick bar shape (a little more secure when I bench heavy)

Great… now my interest is piqued from the feedback I am looking into getting Fat Grips as well…

jck524 - it’s up to you - there is a decrease in amount lifted overall when using thick grips but it’s a personal preference. I’d try to use them in all my lifts if I could but variety and cycling is good too

I dunno…Hammer curls or reverse curls have always done the job for me…I don’t really like fat bars, but then I have always disliked changing equipment/gyms… at first anyway.

[quote]particle1 wrote:
Im 6" 190

thanks[/quote]

I think you just need to get stronger in every way at this point.

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
particle1 wrote:
Im 6" 190

thanks

I think you just need to get stronger in every way at this point.
[/quote]

oh no doubt i am not stopping what i have started - i would just like to enhance the progression if possible

hmm decisions decision - might have to get the fat gripz - even though they are ergonomic i am not sure if they mimic a ‘real world’ environment as much

cheers = )

So I got the fat gripz in the end - they arrived yesterday

i tried them out last night but when i put them on the dumbbells or barbells there is quite a significant gap where they seperate

is this how they should be?

thanks

[quote]particle1 wrote:

i tried them out last night but when i put them on the dumbbells or barbells there is quite a significant gap where they seperate

thanks
[/quote]

That’s how my Tyler Grips are. It just depends on the thickness of the original barbell or dumbbell.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
particle1 wrote:

thanks

That’s how my Tyler Grips are. It just depends on the thickness of the original barbell or dumbbell.[/quote]

alright sounds good

i only worked legs and shoulders wed and i can still feel it in my forearms today

looking forward to arms tonight!!

[quote]particle1 wrote:

thanks
[/quote]

??? What size handle barbell/dumbbells are you using? In my gym the grips do close a bit, almost touching. It’s only a problem when I actually start a lift from the ground & the opening is near the top (in the palm of my hand - irritating) & I end up gripping HARDER to keep the grip affixed to the bar… in retrospect might be a good thing.

Got them today. LOVE IT. Poundage on curls, rows and reps on pullups are all reduced by about 30% when using these.

[quote]jaybvee wrote:
??? What size handle barbell/dumbbells are you using? In my gym the grips do close a bit, almost touching. It’s only a problem when I actually start a lift from the ground & the opening is near the top (in the palm of my hand - irritating) & I end up gripping HARDER to keep the grip affixed to the bar… in retrospect might be a good thing.

[/quote]

totally agree - having to grip harder is def beneficial

just got back from doing arms - as LUEshi mentioned, dropped about 30%, but can feel it already lol

= )

I really like my Tyler Grips, but the Fat Gripz look quite enticing.

FYI from having both the Tyler Grips & the Fat Gripz the Tyler Grips may be more suitable for guys with smaller hands - the Fat Gripz are a beast in terms of circumference & a guy who asked to try them (with small hands) could barely close them around the Fat Gripz.

Just a FYI if you are planning on getting either for doing grip work.

Doing DLs with either of them is epic if you try DL’ing your normal poundages.