Tylenol Causes Liver Damage

http://www.newstarget.com/019555.html

Healthy adults who took the maximum dose of Tylenol for two weeks were found to have liver damage, according to a study appearing in the latest issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Researchers instructed 106 study participants to take 4 grams of Tylenol (eight extra-strength tablets) a day for two weeks, with some taking only Tylenol, and some taking Tylenol combined with an opioid painkiller. The rest of the participants were given a placebo.

Nearly 40 percent of the participants taking Tylenol or the Tylenol/opioid combination displayed abnormal liver test results that indicated liver damage, while those taking the placebo showed no damage.

The study’s co-author, Dr. Neil Kaplowitz of the University of Southern California said, “I would urge the public not to exceed 4 grams a day. This is a drug that has a rather narrow safety window.” Kaplowitz added that heavy drinkers should not exceed 2 grams a day.

Tylenol maker McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals said it had conducted its own research that tracked high-dose Tylenol users over longer periods than the Kaplowitz study, and found that its product did not lead to liver disease.

Kaplowitz and co-author Dr. Paul Watkins of the University of North Carolina were hired by Purdue Pharma, which makes the prescription painkiller OxyContin, to see why people testing a drug containing acetaminophen and the opiate hydrocodone were having abnormal liver tests. Contrary to the researchers’ theories, they found that acetaminophen was the culprit.

Acetaminophen is Americans’ over-the-counter painkiller of choice. Acetaminophen overdose is also the leading cause of acute liver failure.

My mom who died last August of liver failure took a lot of Tylenol due to the headaches she got from being an alcoholic. I assume that was also a factor in her liver being in the state it was (aside from all the vodka).

Jesus fuck, the next thing they’re going to tell us is that eating too much protein will damage your liver!

I thought this was a pretty well known thing.

I’ve always avoided tylenol, since I was 9 or 10, for the very reason of potential liver damage.

I’ve been getting migraine headaches since I was six years old (it runs in my family).

I took massive tylenol between the ages of 6 - 10ish until I found I had liver problems already.

I’ve taken Motrin since then, but found out a while back that because it gets absorbed through your stomach that it can cause ulcers.

The only solution that I’ve found so far for myself that is not medication based…“cardio”! Found this out through the years though (21 now). I still migraines during finals though (and when I’m around smokers).

-ton

I think people should always assume there is going to be unwanted side effects of any drug in addition to side effects they may be warned of. I think it is wise not to take any drug frivelously(sp?) and to use drugs only out of desperation. First trying changes in sleep, diet, exercise, air quality, life style, etc.

I was just this week withheld from a research study at my university because blood tests showed my liver enzymes being higher than what they considered alright for the study. I haven’t drank any alcohol in over a month, but I did try an ECA stack before my workout the night before.

I used Excedrin for the aspirin, which also contains 250 mg acetaminophen. I think this one stack may have been enough to raise my levels over the limits. If one dose at one/sixteenth the levels used in the study raises the level of enzymes, I can definitely believe 4 grams a day would do serious damage.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:

I’ve always avoided tylenol, since I was 9 or 10, for the very reason of potential liver damage.[/quote]

However, it seems that in spite of warnings on packaging, people assume that anything that is over the counter is simply “good for them”. It should make peoploe wonder about the actions of the FDA consider their witch hunt for things like Ephedrine when many OTC products produced substantially more deaths annually.

Yes, most people should know this already. It is a little scary that some don’t and are taking Tylenol by the handfull daily. This is what Tom Prince blamed for his condition and many people wrote it off as false due to his other drug usage.

The truth is, many of those guys are taking regular pain meds with some even hooked on them.

[quote]TestosterTon wrote:
I’ve taken Motrin since then, but found out a while back that because it gets absorbed through your stomach that it can cause ulcers.
[/quote]

Always take ibuprofen with/after food to avoid this problem. The capsules are also preferable to avoid ulceration.

Wow, guys. I thought this was common knowledge.

[quote]AgentOrange wrote:
Jesus fuck, the next thing they’re going to tell us is that eating too much protein will damage your liver![/quote]

1. Don’t use Jesus’s name like that please.

2. It’s know it causes problems with your liver, there has been many highschool (packed) suicides using Tylenol as the poison of choice.

Seen it before.
Just one of the many drugs that cause health problems and disease.
Don’t bother telling the FDA(who has the special job of making sure drugs are safe)whose main and only interest is making money and not your health.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
itsthetimman wrote:

I’ve always avoided tylenol, since I was 9 or 10, for the very reason of potential liver damage.

However, it seems that in spite of warnings on packaging, people assume that anything that is over the counter is simply “good for them”. It should make peoploe wonder about the actions of the FDA consider their witch hunt for things like Ephedrine when many OTC products produced substantially more deaths annually.

Yes, most people should know this already. It is a little scary that some don’t and are taking Tylenol by the handfull daily. This is what Tom Prince blamed for his condition and many people wrote it off as false due to his other drug usage.

The truth is, many of those guys are taking regular pain meds with some even hooked on them.[/quote]

who is tom prince?

oh and btw, many years ago when i was i my early 20s, i got a bad case of mono- and was taking tons of tylenol for aches and pains and fever. nearly wiped my liver out! i got jaundiced, and had liver enzymes checks, and they were WAY up. scary.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:

who is tom prince?

oh and btw, many years ago when i was i my early 20s, i got a bad case of mono- and was taking tons of tylenol for aches and pains and fever. nearly wiped my liver out! i got jaundiced, and had liver enzymes checks, and they were WAY up. scary.[/quote]

Tom Prince is an ex-pro bodybuilder whose kidneys failed in 2003. he claimed that his doctors told him it was due to his use of pain meds. I didn’t believe it until he went into detail about the literal handfulls of Tylenol, Oxy, and random other drugs he was taking all day long.

I really don’t see what the problem is. Tylenol is fairly safe. If it is abused, it can lead to problems. Chronic use constitutes abuse. Those who really need to use a substance habitually are few. There are people with debilitating conditions who might need to. That is there cross to bear. I don’t think Vioxx should’ve been taken off the market. Some people need it. As long as the risks are clear. Whether it’s prescription or OTC, these are not innocuous substances we are putting in our bodies. There are few that aren’t potentially going to lead to other complications with habitual use.

heavythrower wrote:

who is tom prince?

oh and btw, many years ago when i was i my early 20s, i got a bad case of mono- and was taking tons of tylenol for aches and pains and fever. nearly wiped my liver out! i got jaundiced, and had liver enzymes checks, and they were WAY up. scary.

Tom Prince is an ex-pro bodybuilder whose kidneys failed in 2003. he claimed that his doctors told him it was due to his use of pain meds. I didn’t believe it until he went into detail about the literal handfulls of Tylenol, Oxy, and random other drugs he was taking all day long.[/quote]

It was probably both legal and illegal drug and steroid use. That’s a lot of stress to be putting on your liver and kidneys.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Professor X wrote:
heavythrower wrote:

who is tom prince?

Tom Prince is an ex-pro bodybuilder whose kidneys failed in 2003. he claimed that his doctors told him it was due to his use of pain meds. I didn’t believe it until he went into detail about the literal handfulls of Tylenol, Oxy, and random other drugs he was taking all day long.

It was probably both legal and illegal drug and steroid use. That’s a lot of stress to be putting on your liver and kidneys.[/quote]

True. It was obviously a combination of EVERYTHING, however, when the news first came out, the blame was only put on pain medication. He may not have been that far off considering how much he was taking. What you wrote above about “abuse” may be true, but many people actually believe that things like this are simply “safe” and they can take as much as they wish. that doesn’t mean we ban pain meds. It simply means we need to get rid of all the stupid people.

jsbrook wrote:
Professor X wrote:
heavythrower wrote:

who is tom prince?

It was probably both legal and illegal drug and steroid use. That’s a lot of stress to be putting on your liver and kidneys.

True. It was obviously a combination of EVERYTHING, however, when the news first came out, the blame was only put on pain medication. He may not have been that far off considering how much he was taking. What you wrote above about “abuse” may be true, but many people actually believe that things like this are simply “safe” and they can take as much as they wish. that doesn’t mean we ban pain meds. It simply means we need to get rid of all the stupid people.[/quote]

Agreed. Not much chance of it happening though. It’d be nice-we’d have a lot more empty space.

while this isnt new, and while the study was short term, these results
are fairly common. but longer than than the study indicates that your body
adjust to the meds you take, the liver
panel will show normal levels

True. It was obviously a combination of EVERYTHING, however, when the news first came out, the blame was only put on pain medication.[/quote]

The part I underlined can’t be emphasized enough.

The blame part reminds me of the college wrestler(s?) that died and the news blamed it on creatine. Then as a side note they also mentioned that the guys were:

1. In a sauna
  2. Wearing sweatsuits
  3. Exercising
    All to get down to another weight class.

Yeah, creatine! That’s what killed 'em!