Tykraus7's Rippetoe's Log

Well I’m not a beginner, perse. I’ve been lifting on and off for a few years, seriously for about a year. I’m doing this because I’m disappointed in my strength levels. I started yesterday, which was Saturday. I know it was a weird day to start on but it doesn’t really matter.

Saturday

Squat 225 3x5
Bench 205 3x5
Deadlift 245 1x5
Chins 1x8 with a 10 lb weight.

Everything felt too easy but I didn’t want to start out too high and stall early.

Today’s workout went pretty well…

Squats - 235 for 3x5
Military press - 90 3x5
rows - 125 3x5
chins - body weight 9 reps then 8 reps
weighted abs on a decline: go down, hold 5 seconds at parallel then go back up…10 reps

Another good work out today…

Squat - 245 3x5
Bench - 215 3x5
Deadlift - 260 1x5
Dips - body weight 2x12
abs - 15 1x15

I can’t believe I haven’t seen your log before …

I’m in the same situation as you. I lifted consistently HIT style all last year with sub-par results. Decided to go the strength route. In fact, our stats are fairly identical. Except I have 40 lbs on you.

I’m on my fifth week of Rippetoe. Getting pretty good results … I’m increasing each workout. My log is “The Dude’s Rippetoe Log” in the Beginner section.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
I can’t believe I haven’t seen your log before …

I’m in the same situation as you. I lifted consistently HIT style all last year with sub-par results. Decided to go the strength route. In fact, our stats are fairly identical. Except I have 40 lbs on you.

I’m on my fifth week of Rippetoe. Getting pretty good results … I’m increasing each workout. My log is “The Dude’s Rippetoe Log” in the Beginner section.[/quote]

Wow still increasing after 5 weeks? That is encouraging for someone who has some experience. I am just trying to get as strong as I possibly can because I know with that strength comes size.

[quote]tykraus7 wrote:
Wow still increasing after 5 weeks? That is encouraging for someone who has some experience. I am just trying to get as strong as I possibly can because I know with that strength comes size.

[/quote]

And that’s exactly why I chose Rippetoe. I have never trained for strength, but I know size is sure to follow.

Another work out done today.

Squats - 255 3x5
Standing Military Press - 95 3x5
Bent over Row - 135 3x5
Chinups - body weight set of 11 then set of 8
Abs - 20 1x11

Still progressing by 10lbs on the squat each time and the bar speed hasn’t slowed down so I’m pumped about that.

Workout for 2/19

Squats - 265 3x5
Bench - 225 3x5
Deadlift - 280 1x5
Dips - bodyweight 2x12
Abs - 20 1x15

Surprised that my squat is still going up by 10 each workout even though I’ve been squatting for a wfew months. Deadlift went up by 20 pounds this week and I will add 20 pounds again.

Do you have a dip belt, because I don’t. So to get around that minor detail I added another set of dips. Last week I did 3x12, so today I plan on doing as many dips in a row as possible. Just a suggestion.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Do you have a dip belt, because I don’t. So to get around that minor detail I added another set of dips. Last week I did 3x12, so today I plan on doing as many dips in a row as possible. Just a suggestion.[/quote]

Yeah I used to do dips with a belt and 2 45lb plates for about 8 reps each set but I didn’t know if we were supposed to add weight for dips/chins in order to prevent progress on the other lifts.

Progressing with dips and chins should only help your other lifts. If you can keep going than by all means do it.

Today’s squats were a beast. My legs were sore from my soccer game last night. I still put up the weight and will still continue increasing by 10 lbs but it will be getting hard soon.

Squats - 275 3x5
Military Press - 100 3x5
Rows - 145 3x5
Chin-ups - body weight set of 12 then set of 8.
Abs - 25 1x13

I don’t like that you’re squatting as much as me :slight_smile: Of course I front squat. Anybody can back squat. lol Good progress.

I didn’t work out yesterday because I was snowboarding with the family so I moved it to today instead.

Squats - 285 3x5
Bench - 235 3x5
Deadlift - 300 1x5
Dips - 45 2x12
DB curls - 40 2x8
Abs - 25 1x15

Today I hit 300 on the deadlift for the first time in my life and will be squatting 300 next week which is going to be awesome as well.

Today’s workout went pretty well. Still progressing by the same amounts.

Squat - 295 3x5
Military press - 105 3x5
Row - 155 3x5
Chins - bodyweight set of 12 then set of 7
abs - 30 1x13

Chins probably decreased because I’m gaining weight.

I take 2 servings of Surge to make sure that I recover since I’m not a beginner. One serving during workout and then one right after.

Well it’s finally time to decrease the progression on squats and bench press to 5 pounds eacch workout. I completed all the reps but the bar speed did slow down a bit.

Squats - 305 3x5
Bench - 245 3x5
Deadlift - 315 1x5
Dips - 55 2x12
Abs - 30 1x15

I finally hit 3 plates for deadlift!! I will be squatting 3 plates next week so that is a huge accomplishment for me.

I got sick over the weekend so I missed one weekend. I started up again today and still progressed on my lifts

Squats - 310 3x5
Bench - 250 3x5
Deadlift - 325 1x5
Dips - 65 2x12
DB curls - 45 2x8
Abs - 35 1x15

By the way guys today I started the Velocity Diet, sort of. I’m using the same macro breakdowns and such but instead of using Metabolic Drive I’m using 1 scoop of Grow! whey and 1 scoop of ON 100% Casein which ends up having the same exact amount of protein as a Metabolic Drive shake.

Wake up: 2 HRX
1 Shake with 1 scoop Whey, 1 scoop Casein, 5 standard fish oil capsules.

Squats are getting real tough now. I have 5 Casein/whey shakes a day, 2 of them containing 2 teaspoons of powdered fiber and one of them containing 2 tablespoons of organic peanut butter. I take 2 HRX in the morning and 2 in the afternoon

Squats - 315 3x5
Standing Military press - 110 3x5
Rows - 160 3x5
Chin ups - 11 then 5…I went slow on the eccentric and hung for a little bit to ensure the full range of motion…
Abs - 40 1x12

Squatted 3 plates for the first time today so that is another milestone

Congrats man! Good to see you’re still making progress.

Do HRX work that well? It’s been a while since I’ve taken any stimulants.