Strongman training for Tactical Games (TX_iron)

Sunday - Recovery

14 minute ice bath using the swim Hof breathing method and jamming doom metal.

About walk with the little family to a local downtown brewery (4 miles round trip)

Later on the menu is some mobility work and a date with the massage gun.

WEEK WRAP UP
I’ve got to say, this has probably been one of the most enjoyable weeks of training I’ve had in a while. I love training, want to be strong, look good, be in shape and have a lot of flexibility in regard to how I train, and this fit the bill well.

I also like how the set-up has my two hardest days spaced far apart (legs & full). It’s easy to start the week right knowing you get to go bro and hit chest, then back and by the time Legs come around you’re already back in the routine, and then demand tapers down toward the end of the week, cumulating in somewhat of a play day on Saturday. And who doesn’t like chilling on sundays lol.

All that being said, right knee has really been giving me some grief, and I imagine the high rep squats are the culprit.

3 Likes

Me too man, me too. Only 2 (?) Sessions to go.

1 Like

Four lol. But the light is at the end of the tunnel

1 Like

Monday - Chest
PM

I followed the Growth factor protocol in the article below,
Main set was:

Axle bench
30 x 5
120 x 5

170 x 5 + red mini bands
170 x 5
170 x 5 + slingshot

180 x 5 + red mini bands
180 x 5
180 x 5 + slingshot

170 x 4 + red mini bands
170 x 4
170 x 4 + slingshot

NOTES
nothing special, but bench just felt a little off in regard to positioning. Oh well, for a decent chest pump from this.

I gave out after like 10 dips there at the end

The Workout

Exercise Sets Reps Rest
Heavy Work: Bench Press
A1 Bench Press, added band resistance 3 5 10 sec.
A2 Bench Press 3 5 10 sec.
A3 Bench Press, slingshot 2-3 min.
Complex 1: Press Medley
B1 Incline Dumbbell Press, reverse-grip 3 6-8
B2 Incline Dumbbell Press, normal-grip 3 Max
B3 Push-Up, elevated feet 3 Max
B4 Dumbbell Press, reverse-grip 3 Max
B5 Dumbbell Press, normal-grip 3 Max
B6 Push-Up 3 Max 3 min.
Complex 2: Kettlebell Flyes and Presses
C1 Kettlebell Flye, low 3 5-7
C2 Kettlebell Flyes, regular 3 5-7
C3 Kettlebell Press 3 5-7 90-120 sec.
Complex 3: Squeeze Press & Flye Combo
D1 Squeeze Press 3 5-7
D2 Dumbbell Flye, regular 3 5-7
D3 Dumbbell Flye, high 3 5-7 90-120 sec.
Bodyweight Finisher
1 Like

I’ve seen the shoulder version of this, never seen the chest one. Might have to give it a try once I’m back to more sensible programming.

1 Like

Man he’s actually got a few others as well. Seems like a joint-friendlier Route to size:

1 Like

Back one sounds like something I need to look into. My back is definitely a weak link. Thanks man.

1 Like

Tuesday - Back

TRX Chin/lever hybrids
10 x 10 (volume PR)

NOTES
Ran the massage gun over pecs in between sets. The pump was so fierce, I tore a new stretch mark

3 Likes

Alright, point taken, I’ll go do some rows.

3 Likes

Haha. I’m pretty proud of that new stretchmark - my back May be my one redeeming feature. I feel like carries and loading have done the most for me, really.

Wednesday - Legs
AM

SSB squats / x walks / band leg curls
65/bar x 5
154 x 2
198 x 2
246 x 1
289 x 1
335 x 0
80kg x 50

NOTES
Damn, that was tough.

5 Likes

I literally just pulled up at the gym to do this workout and came to check this log for inspiration.

Fucking awesome work man.

1 Like

Thanks my man! You’re going to kill it! I Dare you to get 51

EDIT
I’ve been walking really funny for days

1 Like

Since I’m at it:

Thursday- Shoulders
High volume throughout the day of:

Giant set 1 (outside)
25lb bells

• 10 strict clean & press
  • 10 presses
  • 10 cheat lateral raises
  • 10 rear felt flys

Giant set 2 (inside)

• Increasing tension band pull aparts (grab wide for ten, move the hands in a little for another 10… up to 50 total)
  • one arm kb lateral swings, 35lb Bell
  • one arm kb clean and press

FridayMyday - arms
Buffet of:

• DB curls
  • DB squeeze “skull crushers” (the only SC that doesn’t make my elbows bleed - sort of a neutral, very close grip BTN press)
  • triceps emphasis dips
  • curl/lever hybrids
  • band stuff

NOTES
feeling fresh still minus the leg soreness. Tomorrow is either going to be sled work or more stone work.

I’m neglecting abs and conditioning, so I’ll need to bring that back into rotation. I am in excellent condition right now, but complacency is a bitch that’s going to creep up and bite me like a rattler in a sand dune.

2 Likes

Saturday - Full
Just did some DB man makers with a 45lb vest on. Short on time

Sunday - rest/recovery
I didn’t really rest, or recover. Ranch party.

Monday - Chest
AM
Timer set for 20 minutes, all rest pause:

45lb vest dips
10-8-4-2-1

Dips
8-4-2-1

Incline push-ups
8-4-2-1

Semi-incline push-ups
8-4-2-1

Push-ups
8-4-2-1

Finished off with DB squeeze prayers, standing crossbody flys and deep stretch dips

CARDIO
3 mile 45lb weight best walk with the dog

3 Likes

Tuesday - Back
AM

Arm-over-arm Sled pulls
400’ in 18:24

NOTES
On hour 35 of my fast. Definitely felt the tank a little more empty this morning.

I guess it’s been a long time since I’ve done arm-over-arm with a shipping rope. My hands are shredded right now, and covered in blisters/weakness bubbles, but my lats have a pretty nice pump going on.

1 Like

What the hell, man.

1 Like

Haha. I had a little too much sauce and junk food this weekend and have been planning on doing this long fast about once per quarter, so I felt like this was the right time. I’m shooting for about 60 hours, Which should make leg day a pretty crappy experience tomorrow.

1 Like

Wednesday - Legs
AM

SSB (EliteFTS SS Yoke) squats
65 x 3
155 x 3
190 x 3
215 x 3
245 x 3
205 x 5
230 x 3
255 x 8 (est fatigued max of 322)
175 x 5
205 x 5
230 x 10

NOTES
Broke my fast at 0600 at 58 hours, and trained at 0700. I decided to try out Spinal Tap with a conservative training max of 270.

Last night some crazy symptoms began popping up: insomnia, hyperactivity, gut distress and very strange vivid dreams. I did my best to remedy with melatonin (sleep) and psyllium husk + salt and potassium, but what my body really wanted was food. I weighed in at a whopping 175.5lbs before bed, down from 180.

I’m actually pretty pleased that my fatigued max is within the ballpark of my non-fatigued max for the SSB! Going to work in assistance throughout the day like I always do (I just don’t log it).

3 Likes

I’ve done like 36 hrs but never 60. Man that’s some staying power. Hope you drank plenty of water

2 Likes

Ooh, I was riding the struggle bus last night for sure. I’d say about a gallon of water a day, but I also drank quite a bit of black coffee, tea and toward the end there pickle juice, olive juice, picked jalapeño juice - my body was just screaming for sodium.

I also took my daily vitamin regimen which includes Alpha Male, creatine, magnesium, ashwaganda and 5-HTP.

Treated myself to a Whataburger breakfast burger meal before the gym this morning as a celebration:

3 Likes