Strongman training for Tactical Games (TX_iron)

Haha, I feel you nan. Same for us and winters. We’ve got like two months of cool weather before it’s in the hundreds with clouds of mosquitos. I’m curious to see how that Alshrue program works for you.

I’ve never really had to wake up super early besides high school (7:30 am classes, apparently they hate proper development but eh). But a lot of folks I hold in high regard are early risers, and I’d like to become more productive.

Plus, last week I came home after a long day. I left to go train with my dog wanting to hang with me, no dinner started, and wife on the way home. I felt a bit selfish and would have much rather hung out with my family. I figure in the am, I’m not sacrificing quality time with the exception of some time in the late evenings.

————————
2-2-19
Strongman conditioning
110lb kettlebell swings 3x10
Leg press 3x10
Ham curls 3x10
Rope shrug 3x10

————————
2-4-19
AM Workout

531 100 rep challenge (link above)
Front squats / mobility drills
45x5
95x5
135x5
165x5
190x5
205x10 CAPPED (273 est)

10 SLDL / 10 hanging leg raises (x3), leg raises (x2)

NOTES
4 big lifts Training Max (2/2/2019):

Deadlift 385
Push press 180
Front squats 255
Bench 220

I chose these four because I feel they’ll have the best carryover, while staying as true as possible to the movement patterns of 531. Also because I can toggle in the 531 strongman programs when I want without having to mess with my main lifts.

I’m not as strong in the mornings, those hanging leg raises were actually rough, got a crazy stretch/pump in the late and triceps. In an out in about 45 minutes.

2 Likes

2-5-19
AM

week 1/6 Lower 100

50 Bulgarian each leg.
I cranked out about twenty then had to take some breaks at the top. I’m super undertrained on these, and the burn was real.

100 laying leg curls with 10lb ankle weights
I did one leg then the other. The real pump was in my anterior tibialis, but the hams felt it too.

100 sit-ups
10x10 resting briefly at the top. Undertrained here too, and the Adonis belt pump was great afterwards.

This workout took longer that I though it would actually, over 30 minutes. I’m thinking it’s exactly what I need right now though.

1 Like

2-7-19
AM Workout
Week 1/6 Upper Strength

Bench / Mobility work (lots of PVC dislocates and hanging from the pull-up bars)
45x5
95x5
145x5
165x5
185x13 (265)

Neutral press / Landmine row
5 x 10 @ 115 / 105

NOTES
I should have hovered around the 50% recommended for the 5x10 work, there was abit too much grind with 115.

——————
2-8-19

Upper 100
25lbs Plate raise: 10x10
45lb Barbell curls: 10x10
135lb Snatch-grip shrugs: 10x10

Notes: 100 reps through wasn’t in the cards, so I opted for 10x10 with as little rest as needed to be sure the next 10 reps would go down.

I tried the Kirk rows and hated them. Besides feeling awkward, they pulled in the wrong places so situating the bar a bit higher was pragmatic. I ended up doing a fair big of jump-shrugging toward the end.

Next time around I’m going to shoot for the 100 reps in less sets across all of the exercises. Next week 1x12 & 8x11, then 13x4 & 12 x4 etc.(Stealing the idea straight from Deepwater). Apparently I really suck/am weak for really high reps.

Skipped 2nd the conditioning day. Days just got away from me a bit this weekend.

——————

2-11-19

Week 2/6 Lower strength
Deadlift
135x5
245x5
285x5
325x5

SLDL / Leg raises
5x10 @ 135

NOTES
Totally phoned-in this one. I felt a nasty pop in my serratus around the second set of deadlifts so I figured I’d just do the required work. I also took preworkout this am and hated it, I felt super itchy and unfocused. I’ve been going with only aminos (no caffeine, no food).

Weighed in at 188 this morning on the gym scale, so that’s pretty positive.

I’m going to switch the days around for this week. I’ll be out of town Wednesday-Sunday & won’t have convenient access to a gym (Wife is pretty irked that I’m traveling on V-Day, work be damned). So tomorrow I’ll do the upper strength, then Wed AM I’ll do the upper 100. I can do the conditioning and lower 100 wherever so It’ll work out perfectly.

1 Like

Week 2/6 Upper Strength
Push Press (180):
125x5, 145x5, 160x5?
Bench 135 5x10 / BB Row 135 5x10

Upper 100
12x1, 8x11 of 25lb plate raises, 45lb barbell curls & 135lb snatch-grip jump shrugs

Conditioning
Walked This course holding a 60lb bag of concrete. .85mile/1.3k

Week 3/6 Lower Strength + week 2 lower 100
Front Squat (255 TM)
185x5
205x5
230x8, RPE 7 (est. 291)

SLDL 185 5x10 / Leg Raises

Lower 100

I did the Bulgarians, then 65 sit-ups and stopped there. I had some work I needed to finish and our neighbors were making us dinner. Going to tack-it on at the end. The finish line just keeps getting further away, haha, but fortunately it’ll be a deload week anyway in which I usually don’t go to the gym at all.

NOTES

Time got away from me a bit this weekend. I went out of town for a jam-packed conference and just couldn’t muster the motivation to squeeze training in. So far I owe for two missed conditioning sessions which I’ll tack on at the end of the challenge. Those front squats got progressively deeper as the set went on. I stay tight, but I think I partially rest in the hole.

I’m really enjoying having the training maxes at 85% or below. The reps feel crisp and it’s not overwhelming. I just do better with sub-max training I suppose.

SIDE NOTE
I’m really sore

2 Likes

Did you do that non-stop with no put-downs? That’s a lot of work done…

Yes sir, no put downs. It’s wasn’t quite competition legal though as I shouldered it a couple of times to give the biceps a break. Luckily it’s pretty flat terrain.

1-21-19
Conditioning
7 rounds of Dan John’s one kettlebell workout while I got ready for work:

15 swings (35lb)
5 squats (35lb)
3 push-ups

—————
1-22-19
Upper strength
Bench / hangs & dislocates
45x3
95x3
135x3
155x3
175x3
200x10, RPE 8 (266 est)

Neutral strict press / barbell rows
5x10 85lbs / 5x10 135lbs

NOTES
Woke up at 183 this am. Weight is sliding back a tad but I’m okay with it as the Mexico vacation is only one month away.

1 Like

1-24-19
Conditioning
2 mile run/walk with my pup

Upper 100
4x13, 4x12 of:

• 25lb plate raises
  • 50lb EZ curls
  • 135lb snatch grip jump shrugs

Conditioning
Helped a friend move a big gun safe, so I’m counting it!

————
1-25-15
Lower Strength 4/6
Deadlift
135x3
225x3
265x3
305x3
345x3

NOTES
I was wholly unmotivated to workout this morning. That plus nature calling and a fatigued low back from Sunday gave me great excuses to put in the absolute minimum amount of effort possible and while still saying I lifted.

1 Like

Lol that sounds fun

1 Like

Thank goodness for headphones. I was staying with my folks for the weekend after a conference and it was the only suitable training implement in my dad’s garage.

Oddly enough, I opted to do this because 100 reps of split squats, leg curls and sit-ups sounded worse at the time.

1 Like

3-26-19
lower 100

Same deal, 50 Bulgarians, 100 sit-ups and 100 leg curls. In other news, I am so damned bored of this routine already.

I’m thinking of just switching to three week cycles after this. I know “programs” are the way to go, but I lose interest quick and don’t end up attacking the program with the intensity I need to. Plus with competing, I can just build-build-build and throw in a contest prep cycle 3-6 weeks out or whatever.

EDIT
Once the wether gets hot this log will live up to it’s name, as I’ll be paddle boarding, skimboarding and body surfing.

In addition, this year I’d like to try:

• spearfishing
  • kiteboarding
  • get scuba certified
1 Like

3-1-19
Conditioning

Dropped in on a 2-hour rugby practice with a local league. I know/still know virtually nothing about gameplay, and had to watch a video beforehand because I’ve never seen a rugby game.

The people we’re super helpful and it was a lot of fun even though I’m bruised-up. Easily the hardest conditioning session I’ve had in a long time.

2 Likes

Strength upper 4/6
Push press
Ramp to 160x7

Bench / rows
135 x 5 x 10

Strength Lower 5/6
Front squats
105x5
135x5
195x5
215x3
245x5

SLDL/!leg raises
135 / dip station 5x10

NOTES
I could’ve pushed the plus sets a lot harder, but I’m calling these once my bar speed slows down. I’m trying to focus on quality reps here.

2 Likes

3-5-19
Conditioning
Went to rugby practice again. It’s just non-stop action; total kick in the lungs. I do think I tweaked a groin muscle though, I need to get more serious about my mobility.

Speaking of which, i have been missing bjj. I’d like to go roll again soon.

LIFE UPDATE
Wife and I just closed on our first home yesterday!

6 Likes

Hey man! Glad to see you made a log again. Congrats on the house! Life PR’s are great lol.

2 Likes

Thanks man! I like that, life PRs. I’m going to have to steal it. I’ve been checking other logs man, you’ve been doing some impressive work for sure

1 Like

Congrats on the house man. I miss BJJ as well. Competed like 10 years ago and still miss it. Simply haven’t made it a priority to get back.

2 Likes

Congrats man!

1 Like

Thanks man! It all happened pretty fast but I’m so excited. move-in is Saturday.

I bet the moves would come back quick since you were competitive with it. I’d say I’m probably rusty, but truthfully there was little to rust.

2 Likes

Thanks bro!
I’m having fantasies about landscaping… thirties are hitting me hard haha.

2 Likes