Strongman training for Tactical Games (TX_iron)

Nice work man! Think you’ll be posting again more often?

Thanks man! I’m going to try. I’d been bottling up my posts to the point where they become a chore, so smaller & more frequent bits seem to be the most pragmatic. Especially now with conjugate, I’m going to need to stay on top of it all or I’ll just forget.

1 Like

Nice. I haven’t trained a whole lot in the last month either, but it’s a busy time of the year! I hope you take your instructor up on the offer. It’s like a cheat code working with high level guys all the time. Bad habits get hammered out so fast and you’ll start picking up on the important details that you just don’t get when you’re always rolling with white belts and even blues. All of the big strong goon stuff that “worked” on low-level guys went right into the trash can for me, and now I feel like I’m playing a much more efficient and much more effective game.

Congrats on the strongman performance. Amazing stuff especially at your size!

It really is a busy time of year, We’ve been gone for a few weeks on vacation ourselves. I definitely plan on it. My wife is starting school again next week, so the option of weekend training (previously unavailable) will help with our schedules.

Thanks man. More than anything, I was really able to identify some weak points. Next time, I’m coming in hot and heavy!

1/2/19
Arms
Did all manner of curls and extensions. I’d say 100-200 reps each. I’m loving triceps work with bands and chains; I tend to have a lot of pain at the start of tricep isolations, and accommodating resistance solves the issue.

I’m giving IF a go, with an 8/16 approach. Still trying to gain, so I’m going to really pack-in the calories during those eight hours. I’ve been undereating, so am starting MyFitnessPal for accountability. 3,370 caps, 210g protein. I’m also taking creatine again.

1.4.19 MAX EFFORT LOWER

Main work:

50lb kettlebell swings – 3,3…

high bar back squats – 45x3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 275x3, 300x2, 315x1 (clean & fast)

ab wheel – 3,3…

rope slams – 10, 10…

Supplemental

Sally-up squats – 155, 135, 115 (kept having to bump the weight down; I’m humbled)

Assistance

Double Tabata (16 rounds, 20 seconds on/10 seconds to change exercise):

Back extensions

Left leg Bulgarian split squats

Right leg Bulgarian split squats

Toes-to-bar

Accessory

Calf raises superset 1 ½ leg press

——————

1.6.19 MAX EFFORT UPPER

Main work

Grenade pull-ups: BWx3, +10x3, +25x3, +35x3, +45x3

Strict press: 45x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x2 (Missed 3rd rep at nose level)

Hanging wipers: 10, 10…

Supplemental

EMOM 10 minutes, 3 reps strict press with 125 (80%)

Assistance

Double Tabata:

Low incline DB bench with 50s

Right arm DB row with 70lbs

Left Arm DB row with 70lbs

Side-to-side sit-ups

Accessory

Double Tabata:

Banded triceps (red & blue)

50lb ez bar curls

Lopsided lateral raises (15, 12 alternating)

Band face-pulls (blue)

————
NOTES
Taking a lot from @Alpha/Brian Alshrue here, His style of training really resonates with me. Calories are around 4K

1 Like

1-8-19
Dynamic Effort Lower/Strongman

*Everything done with 180lb sandbag
A1) 6x2 sandbag to shoulder
A2) 3 grenade toes to bar

B1) 5x3 sandbag triple extensions
B2) 5 an wheel

C) sandbag carries 5x50’

Double Tabata:
Pull-throughs
Rope upright rows
Dual rope climb
Sit-ups

Notes:
First time doing bag work with lifters. I love it.

1 Like

1-12-19
DE upper
A1)10x2 emom press from pins at nose level, 115+ref&blue band

A2) 3 grenade pull-ups

Double tabata:
Neutral grip incline 115
Left dB row 85
Right dB row 85
Side to side sit-ups

10 minutes amrap:
5 dips + 30lbs chain
5 chins +30lb chain
Totaled 6 rounds, never took chain off.

Double tabata
Red &blue band push downs
Neutral dB curls 20s
Laterals 12s
Wood chops

Finisher:
Cable row drop sets
Incline push-ups
More wood chops
Plate raises 25lbs

Notes: did this workout fasted. loving these intensity techniques! I can tell my conditioning is improving, and weight is climbing. 180 this morning.

1 Like

1-14-19

ME upper
main
Dual rope climb
Floor press: 95x3, 145x3, 195x3, 245x2, 265x1
Wood chops 5/side

assistance
Floor press: 10x3 @ 215, 195 (about set 7)
Dual DB row: 85s x 3

Dips, pull-a-parts, curls

NOTES
I did the 10x3 a bit too heavy, I need to keep the weight at 80% of the last successful 2-3 rep set, versus basing it off of a single. The second rep was slow, and I should have closed it there. The heavy floor press is lower than my last pr, but I’m chalking it up to no bouncing and the rope climbs.

Did health screening today, 180lbs, 11% body fat

2 Likes

1-16-19
ME lower

Main
Kettle bell swings 55lbs x3
Snatch grip deads: 135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 365x3, 385x1
10 toes to bar

Supplemental
EMOM 10x3 @ 300lbs (80% of 365)

Assistance
2x tabata (all 135lbs):
Deep front squats
Good mornings with pins to deadlift height
Barbell rows
Rest

finisher
Sally-up high bar squats with 115 (40%) , 2 pauses in the song

cherry on top
3 rounds:
Grenade toes to bar
Kettlebell swings

NOTES
This was a brutal workout. During the sally up squats I had to pause to keep from vomiting. Had I been training alone, I’d probably just have let the cards fall where they may. BUT there was a young girl about five feet in front of me, facing me. I figured I’d spare her the pain and me the embarrassment.

1 Like

1-17-19
Repitition Upper

300 push-ups (10 EMOM for 30 minutes).

——————
1-20-19
Strongman Conditioning

Donned a 30lb weight vest, then picked up a heavyish stone and walked for 1,000 feet. After that, I picked up a lighter stone and walked back. Several drops lol. Marked it up on google earth.

I listened to thib’s recent blog about strongman medleys, and how the lactic acid build-up triggered from longer duration work is very anabolic. So I figured I’d play around with it.

3 Likes

1-21-19

ME Upper
5 grenade pull-ups
Neutral grip strict press: 25x10, 75x3, 95x3, 125x3,145x3, 155x3
10 hanging wipers

EMOM 10x3 @ 125 (80% of 3rm)

Chins, machine chest press, banded push-down

NOTES: I felt like shit during this workout; stomach was in knots. I pretty much just wafted through the assistance stuff waiting for my wife to finish.

1 Like

1-23-19
ME lower

3 kB swings
Paused front squat: 45x3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 245x3, 275x1
5 abs wheel

EMOM 10x3 @ 195 (80% of 245)

Lying hamstring curls: rest pause drop set

NOTES
I’m competing again Saturday at an unaffiliated local show in the under 200lb division. I have no idea what the weights are but they’re supposed to be pretty light. The events are:

• Tire flip & deadlift ladder
  • Circus DB
  • Farmer walks
  • Truck push
  • Sandbag over bar
1 Like

1-24-19
repitition upper

I’ve done around 100 dips today and some token pulling work. Just trying to keep it easy as a quasi-Deload for the comp Saturday

1-26-19
strongman competition

Went out to an unaffiliated comp at the Navy base. It was a ton of fun and because of all the volunteers ran smooth as possible. Competed under 200.

FARMERS 195/hand
I moved fairly quick, but I thought it was 165 for whatever reason so I was a bit shocked on the pick.

TRUCK PUSH
Man I had a lot of Trouble getting it going. Half because I just need a lot of work here, and half because I was pushing with smooth shoes on a wet track. I need some rock climbing shoes.

DUMBELL OVERHEAD 75lbs/60s
No idea how many times I repped this, but it was a lot. Went with the push jerk method and switched arms for the last 10 reps or so.

TIRE FLIP/DEADLIFT MEDLEY
Light tire x 5, 185, 225, 275,315, 385. Crushed this one lol. It was raining so they threw towels over the bar an whipped them off when the competitors got to each station. This event was my favorite and fun as hell!

95lb SANDBAG OVER 42” YOKE
It was a rep-fest, so I just made my movements as efficient as possible and snagged 1st.

SUDDEN DEATH TIEBREAKER
315lb FRAME HOLD FOR TIME

My performance with the sandbag brought me to a tie for 1st. We each took turns holding the frame for as long as possible, a drop cost you 10 seconds off your time I went first, and got 58 seconds. The other guy got 67 for the win. I’ve never done a tie breaker before, and the energy and excitement in the room was thick. It was an awesome experience!

EDIT: changed my log title since I haven’t trained bjj in a bit. Still hoping to get it going again at some point.

4 Likes

1-27-19
ME upper

MAIN
28• incline (clean-width grip)/ 5-10 chins:
45x5,
95x5,
135x5
155x3
185x3
205x3
215x3
225x3 (lifetime PR)

DYNAMIC
Emom 10x3 @ 175 (80% of 225)

ASSISTANCE
2x Tabata

• YTW
  • plate curls
  • decline halos
  • push-ups

NOTES
Did this workout fasted. Just when I was questioning the program, I set a huge PR while fasting of all things, and on top of competing yesterday (maybe the CNS was primed?). Also had a six pack last night.

2 Likes

1-30-19
ME lower

3 KB swings / Paused RDLs / sit-ups
45x5
135x5
225x5
315x3
365x3
415x3
435x3

Basically no assistance, coming down with something.

1-31-19
Rep upper, am training

Bench / chins
185x12, 10, 7

Seated dB press
Cable rows
Curls

NOTES
Hands are smoked, those chins felt awful.

I’m not crazy about max effort deadlift variations. I always end up Hurt and my pull never moves. In evaluating my goals and the process, I think I need to just go what I know works for me: frequent submax work. Also based on the last comp, heavy overhead in training doesn’t drive my pressing either.

Based on this realization, I’m going to return to 531. I have 6 weeks until vacation in Mexico, and have been itching to try this: 100 Rep Challenge

1 Like

Those 531 challenges all seem solid. I was travelling for work in October and modified a 531 program I was doing and it actually wound up looking similar to this. 2 days of barbell work and 2 days of assistance work in the hotel gyms. Not a bad way to train.

1 Like

Glad to hear you had some success with this style man. It seems to be a really convenient way to train. With a lot of 4-6 day programs, for me at least, it’s not often training 6 days/week that’s the hard part, it’s going to the gym all of those days lol.

I’m looking for the morning routine to stick though to free up my afternoon and evenings, another reason I wanted to switch back to submax.

1 Like

I feel ya man. I mentioned in my log that it’s an approach I may use this summer with lifting to make more time for other fun stuff I like to do. My summers are short here so I don’t want to spend more time in the basement clanging weights than necessary haha.

Morning workouts are a goal I’d like to achieve with consistency. I think years of a 4-5am wake up time ruined me once I got a taste of sleeping in.

1 Like