Two Years In, Want to Compete. What Now?

Hi, I’ve been in the gym 5-6 days a week for about two years now. Although I’ve made gains (from 125 to 160lbs) and have gotten exponentially stronger, I want more. What can I do to get into contest form? Please critique. Currently taking in 2,500 calories from 4 meals throughout the day and am only using veggie protein

keep growing

Honestly, you’re very, very small. There’s no way around it. You’ve done relatively well I think for 2 years, but you still have a long way to go. I would say, at your current bodyfat, you have at least 30 more lbs to put on before really considering getting on stage.

Double your calorie intake bro

125lb to 160 in 2 years is a total win. Thats awesome.

[quote]HalifaxLion wrote:
[/quote]

yikes, bro

you’ve done well, but you’ve a way to go yet before you get on stage.

Keep on doing what you’re doing!

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Honestly, you’re very, very small. There’s no way around it. You’ve done relatively well I think for 2 years, but you still have a long way to go. I would say, at your current bodyfat, you have at least 30 more lbs to put on before really considering getting on stage.[/quote]

Thanks for your honesty. My goal is to be competing by November, as we have a comp here in OK at that time. My plan all along was to be at 185 before even thinking about getting on stage. Any thoughts on how I can improve my back?

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you’ve done well, but you’ve a way to go yet before you get on stage.

Keep on doing what you’re doing![/quote]

Thanks man. I just needed to know that I was headed in the right direction!!

[quote]Androptimusprime wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Honestly, you’re very, very small. There’s no way around it. You’ve done relatively well I think for 2 years, but you still have a long way to go. I would say, at your current bodyfat, you have at least 30 more lbs to put on before really considering getting on stage.[/quote]

Thanks for your honesty. My goal is to be competing by November, as we have a comp here in OK at that time. My plan all along was to be at 185 before even thinking about getting on stage. Any thoughts on how I can improve my back?[/quote]

What is your rate of gain right now?

If your are still 160 lbs, 25 lbs of quality weight in the time frame you have set to compete seems unlikely. You can easily gain 25 lbs but, if it is not muscle what is the point? You will just be losing it.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Thanks for your honesty. My goal is to be competing by November, as we have a comp here in OK at that time. My plan all along was to be at 185 before even thinking about getting on stage. Any thoughts on how I can improve my back?[/quote]

I don’t think you can be stage ready in that amount of time, even for a natural competition. Just being honest. Maybe a year from next November. Your rate of muscular gains over the past 2 years just doesn’t indicate to me that you’ll get there in that amount of time. Gains will be tougher over the next year than they were for the first 2.

As for your back, it’s all about rows and pull ups. I mostly stick to pull ups. My lower back has benefited greatly from heavy deadlifts as well.

How tall are you? Not that it really matters, as it’s all about the creating the illusion of size, BUT, you will get smaller when dieting, so starting out at your current physique probably isn’t giving many others following along the sense that you’re in a good place… Yet.

If your progress has been consistent the last couple of years, then by all means keep going! I trained a considerable amount of time with no inkling of ever stepping onstage before a few folks “in the know” commented to my potential. The point is you can put in a good amount more of smart, strategic size and then when you do eventually step onstage, be damn proud of what you’ve brought.

Just my three cents worth.

S

[quote]HalifaxLion wrote:
[/quote]

Lol, strong debut.

What can I do to get into contest form?
[/quote]

Jim Wendler Plazma stack + train like a maniac

You’ll either get the bug or it won’t be for you and you can leave it behind.

Given your size, I’d aim for a longish lead up and focus on getting very shredded.

Yeah, I suppose once your mail in your entry form, you need to step up and just let the chips fall where they may.

S