T Nation

Two Years In, Increasing 1RM?

I feel like I am still new two years into resistance training. I started with 5x5 outgrew it, swtiched to 5/3/1 for a year, had some joint issues, now am doing apre 10rm. My question is do you think my 1rm will increase using this program? I do 2 warm up sets, and 2 10rm sets to failure.

My body is really feeling good using 10rm max weight instead of 5rm or 3rm weight. I am gaining size, am a lot more hungry and feeling stronger. I train 4 days a week with each day being a large exercise (squat, bench, deadlift, military press) and a some accessory work. I am ready to look like I mean business.

Is it optimal for strength? Eh, maybe not. Push(and pull) as fast as possible on your reps – this will help build strength more.

That said – imagine your 1RM bench is 225. After some months of training, you get your 2 sets of 10 up to 215. Don’t you think your 1RM would have gone up drastically?

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
Is it optimal for strength? Eh, maybe not. Push(and pull) as fast as possible on your reps – this will help build strength more.

That said – imagine your 1RM bench is 225. After some months of training, you get your 2 sets of 10 up to 215. Don’t you think your 1RM would have gone up drastically?[/quote]

Exactly. While it may not be the best way to increase the 1RM, getting stronger means getting stronger. Kind of the same philosophy with 5/3/1. Getting stronger at any rep range will mean an increased 1RM, within reason of course.

that makes sense. I like the 10rm max because a little size cant hurt and I feel like my joints are happier. I am going to beast up tomorrow. it takes a long time to get really strong. years not months in my case. can I get a witness? when I started training I two years ago I did not know I would stay with it like I have and I did not now how fricken hard it was to grind barbells week in week out, when you are tired, on vacation. I love it. it has become a lifestyle. trt is helping too.