Two Weeks into Waterbury Method

I’ve moved on to Waterbury Method by Chad Waterbury
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=534922

Prior to this I was working through StrongLifts 5x5 program based on Starting Strength.
Here is where I left this programme.
Squat 70kg 5x5 == This is 1.0 body weight squat (I can now do 80kg)
Bench Press 55kg 5x5 == This passes the 51.75kg which is 0.75 BW
Overhead Press 35kg 5x5 == This passes the 34.5kg, 0.50 BW goal
Deadlift 105kg 1x5 == This passes the 103kg to represent 1.5 body weight

For GPP I do a 5k run or mobility work.
Wights are in kg. I’m not a big guy yet (70kg) hence the choice of Waterbury Method for strength & size.
Nutrition wise I’m trying to eat 150g protein per day. How much protein I eat has had a visible affect on size.

An overview of my nutrition is
I try to eat 5-6 times per day
30g protein per meal from meat, eggs or casien based supplement
Most carbs consumed in the morning or after workout

Here is my workout log
Day 1 (80% of 1 RM OR 6 RM) Sets/Reps Rest Weight
BB Back Squats 10x3 70s 70kg
A1 - Dips 4x6 0s BW
A2 - Bent over BB or DB Rows 4x6 60s 35kg
B1 - Skull Crushers 4x6 0s 15kg
B2 - Standing BB Curls 4x6 60s 20kg
Hanging Leg Raises 4x6 60s BW

Day 2 Cardio / GPP

Day 3 Sets/Reps Rest Weight
BB or DB Bench Press 10x3 60s 50kg
A1 - Partial DB Deadlift (Rom. DL) 4x6 0s 80kg
A2 - Standing BB Military Press 4x6 60s 25kg
B1 - Standing Calf Raise 4x6 0s 10kg
B2 - Upright Rows 4x6 60s 10 plates
Tricep Pressdowns (or Fr. Press) 4x6 60s 10 plates

Day 4 Cardio / GPP

Day 5 Sets/Reps Rest Weight
Chin-Ups 10x3 70s BW
A1 - Decline BB or DB Bench Pr. 4x6 0s 22.5kg
A2 - Standing Hammer Curls 4x6 60s 15kg
B1 - Seated Calf Raises 4x6 0s 40kg
B2 - Glute/Ham Raise or Leg Curl 4x6 60s BW
Lunges or Step-Ups 4x6 60s 12

Day 6 Cardio / GPP

Day 7 Rest Rest Rest

Day 8 Sets/Reps Rest Weight
BB Back Squats 10x3 70s 75kg
A1 - Dips 4x6 0s 5kg
A2 - Bent over BB or DB Rows 4x6 60s 40kg
B1 - Skull Crushers 4x6 0s 20kg
B2 - Standing BB Curls 4x6 60s 25kg
Hanging Leg Raises 4x6 60s 5kg

Day 9 Cardio / GPP

Day 10 Sets/Reps Rest Weight
BB or DB Bench Press 10x3 60s 55
A1 - Partial DB Deadlift (Rom. DL) 4x6 0s 85
A2 - Standing BB Military Press 4x6 60s 30kg
B1 - Standing Calf Raise 4x6 0s 15kg
B2 - Upright Rows 4x6 60s 11plates
Tricep Pressdowns (or Fr. Press) 4x6 60s 11plates

Day 11 Cardio / GPP

Day 12 Sets/Reps Rest Weight
Chin-Ups 10x3 70s 10.0
A1 - Decline BB or DB Bench Pr. 4x6 0s 25.0kg
A2 - Standing Hammer Curls 4x6 60s 17.5kg
B1 - Seated Calf Raises 4x6 0s 42.5kg
B2 - Glute/Ham Raise or Leg Curl 4x6 60s 5kg
Lunges or Step-Ups 4x6 60s 15.0kg

The problems I’m having at the moment is the weights are getting too heavy… I know this sounds stupid but I feel like I’m loosing form and not able to properly execute the movements.
I’ve problems completing some of the supersets. Going from Skull Crushers direct to Barbell Curls, I cannot complete the 6 reps, without a rest after 3 reps.

Also I find it difficult to do weighted chin-up and then do hammer curls in the same day.
I think I may be increasing the weight too much.

I am getting results, its a good program (selected in part for the equipment available at my gym).

I want to finish the remaining two weeks, I don’t like abandoning something half way through.

If anyone has suggestions on how to weights that are too heavy to complete the set. My plan is just to rest when I need to can complete the total number required.

Cheers,
Peterus

Personally I would reduce the weight a little and make sure you are getting all the required reps out. Otherwise you are not working in the correct rep range for the chosen prog and will be accumulating different fatigue.

What I mean is, Waterbury has set up a certain number of exes per session and a certain number of sets/reps per session. If you are meant to do say 4x6 and you end up with too heavy a load, you are effectively doing 8x3 and it is a slightly different workout, which maybe is not ideal for the number of exes you are doing. Not saying it won’t help you get stronger, but it is not following the chosen workout template, which presumably is your aim otherwise why do that prog?

I would aim to add between 2-2.5% more weight to your lifts each week. If you choose the right starting weight and stick to the correct rep range, you should be able to add this small amount of weight each week.

Depends what you have avaliable, but you may need to get some mini plates to be able to add smaller increments. If you try to add too large an increase then sooner rather than later you are going to plateau.

Just something I have learnt from experience.

Anyway maybe that will help you for future progs.

Hi L&E,
Thanks for the response. Yes I plan to follow the program as well as I can. I came to the same conclusion regarding adding too much weight. Its down to the dumbbell selection and my impatience for the slower progression.

Lesson learned :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback. I’m hitting the gym later and I’ve re-calculated the weights for tonight. I will be able to do the prescribed reps/sets.

Cheers
Peterus

If the jump in your DBs etc are too big an increment, you might want to invest in some of these:

If you buy a couple of small ones, you can bridge the gap between sizes of your exisiting weights. They are small enough to put in your gym bag and being magnetic stick to most weights and plates.

I don’t know where you’re based? I am in the UK and so these are the only prices I have, but it will give you an idea of the cost.

www.discount-supplements.co.uk/eshopmanufacturer/platemates/

I think they are a good investment, they can come in really handy on some lifts esp if you have fixed DBs.