Two Week to Squat Max

Alright guys, I need your help.

I’m a long time gym rat. Still in reasonable shape, but I haven’t been training heavy for a while. After a recent long night of poker in the pub, a couple of my mates challenged me to a max squat competition. These guys all out weigh me, but they all got chicken pins and I don’t thing any of them but one has ever squatted twice their body weight.

In any event, we are going for a 1 rep max competition in two weeks time. I need to know how I can best increase my 1 rep max in this time. My current one rep max is around twice my body weight.

Thanks guys and I will post photos of the competition and outcome.

Junior

Try the Smolov squat program!

The intro microcycle might do the trick.

I did it over four days, squatting day 1,2 and 4. Took day 5 off and then planned to work on 85% changing volume depending how I felt. It went a lot better than expected. Day 6 I managed 2 triples but I did 5 easy reps @ 85% on day 8!

5 squat-workouts in 8 days!

That’s the best advice I have, it’s hard but it works.

Good luck

Claes

Really with two weeks and not used to squatting. IMO you dont have much time to build new strength BUT you do have some time to get used to the heavy loads again. In short Id say get under a heavy load and often.

Dont go crazy on the volume this is one instance that frequency would be a great choice every w/o do a few start nailing solid singles and doubles. start at 75-80% and every w/o move up a bit get used to the loads again.

Maybe even some supermax hold just unracking heavy weights above and beyond what you can squat get that load on you 125-150%. and re rack. Just get mentally prepared dont beat your self up with two weeks you want to be fresh the day of.

best of luck,
Phill

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve decided to give the Smolov micro-cycle a try. I did day 1 today. As I’m sitting here typing this, I can feel my quads and hams tightening.

I learned two things:

1. I’ve been cheating on my squats - not going to full parallel.

2. I need to learn to be comfortable with near max loads again (i.e. I’ve become a pussy).

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it really 3 days in a row during week 1. I’m just hoping to be able to walk tomorrow (and day 1 definitely eased me into the program)?

2. Is there any more information on the other parts of the program (i.e. the jumps, lunges and stretches that Smolov recommends)?

Thanks in advance,

Junior