Two Stupid Food Questions

I hope Cy Willson doesn’t see this thread; his head just might explode.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
I hope Cy Willson doesn’t see this thread; his head just might explode.
[/quote]

LOL I’d love to see his reaction.

Cthulhu, you still haven’t told us what else aside from fat is actually in your magically low fat flax oil.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Flaxseed oil may be an oil you can’t cook with,but it’s still a low fat oil. So,maybe you need to look up that word in the dictionary and read a bit more.
Thanks,Poe.[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge ALL oils, including Flax, contain fourteen grams of fat per tablespoon.

I hate all you T-Nation smartarses. I once bought a low-fat oil; in fact, it was a no-fat oil as it had 0g of fat in it and was really transparent.

Sure, my chicken breasts came out as if they had been boiled, but I’ll sacrifice some taste and texture to avoid the fats in the oils any day.

I only got to use one bottle, after that I couldn’t find this stuff anywhere; I heard the company went bust. It was called norom-o2h-STI Oil, if anyone has any lying around, PM me and we might agree on a price.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I’m pretty sure all oils have the same fat content.[/quote]

Do some research. You’ll find the whole topic of Fats extreme in its spectrum.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Flaxseed oil may be an oil you can’t cook with,but it’s still a low fat oil. So,maybe you need to look up that word in the dictionary and read a bit more.
Thanks,Poe.

To the best of my knowledge ALL oils, including Flax, contain fourteen grams of fat per tablespoon.[/quote]

To this poster all all other ‘unsure’ posters, this is a wake-up call to research the topic of Fats.
No, no, no… that’s not even remotely the best knowledge! For staters read the food labels of various oils from now on. Do research on fat contents of each oil. They vary as do the gms of fat in each oil…ie, saturated/unsaturated fat ratios-cholesterol–EFAs.

Furthermore why would someone pay 3-4 times for flaxseed oil when you destroy the very thing [abundant omega 3] that makes it expensive by heating it! Just cook with less oil like olive oil[low heat] or briefly with peanut oil at higher heat… just use less oil.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
I hate all you T-Nation smartarses. I once bought a low-fat oil; in fact, it was a no-fat oil as it had 0g of fat in it and was really transparent.

Sure, my chicken breasts came out as if they had been boiled, but I’ll sacrifice some taste and texture to avoid the fats in the oils any day.

I only got to use one bottle, after that I couldn’t find this stuff anywhere; I heard the company went bust. It was called norom-o2h-STI Oil, if anyone has any lying around, PM me and we might agree on a price.[/quote]

Avoiding fats in oils!!? I’m interested to find out what was actually in that fat-less oil / seriously- car lubricant oil has no fat! I wonder why the company went bust…
Most importantly though,

Your body NEEDS a certain amount of various fats to carry out very important body functions - including saturated fat and even cholesterol[ research monounsaturated /poly unsaturated fats / saturated fats/ MCTs etc,.]. Its only the excesses of such properties that are a danger.
So in fact you need to listen to the T-Nation smartarses a bit more.

No, it’s not. Oil IS fat. Pure and simple. Flax oil is 100% fat just like any other oil.

But another poster was right - coconut oil actually has fewer calories per gram than other oils (about 6 or 7 vs. 9), because of the medium-chain (rather than long-chain) triglycerides.

[quote]Vegilles wrote:
Testy1 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Thanks,Poe.

To the best of my knowledge ALL oils, including Flax, contain fourteen grams of fat per tablespoon.

To this poster all all other ‘unsure’ posters, this is a wake-up call to research the topic of Fats.
No, no, no… that’s not even remotely the best knowledge! For staters read the food labels of various oils from now on. Do research on fat contents of each oil. They vary as do the gms of fat in each oil…ie, saturated/unsaturated fat ratios-cholesterol–EFAs.

Furthermore why would someone pay 3-4 times for flaxseed oil when you destroy the very thing [abundant omega 3] that makes it expensive by heating it! Just cook with less oil like olive oil[low heat] or briefly with peanut oil at higher heat… just use less oil.

[/quote]

Vegilles, your post made me realize that maybe, when Cthulu said he was looking for an oil that’s low in fat, he meant specifically saturated fat.

Yes, different oils have different ratios of saturated vs. monounsaturated vs. polyunsaturated fat. But it’s all still fat. And it’s all still more or less the same number of calories. So for cutting purposes, it’s somewhat redundant.

Actually, for cutting, coconut oil is the best, since it is slightly lower in calories, and it is actually thermogenic. Virgin coconut oil actually has many other health benefits too.

[quote]Vegilles wrote:
Miserere wrote:

I only got to use one bottle, after that I couldn’t find this stuff anywhere; I heard the company went bust. It was called norom-o2h-STI Oil, if anyone has any lying around, PM me and we might agree on a price.

Avoiding fats in oils!!? I’m interested to find out what was actually in that fat-less oil / seriously- car lubricant oil has no fat! I wonder why the company went bust…
Most importantly though,

Your body NEEDS a certain amount of various fats to carry out very important body functions - including saturated fat and even cholesterol[ research monounsaturated /poly unsaturated fats / saturated fats/ MCTs etc,.]. Its only the excesses of such properties that are a danger.
So in fact you need to listen to the T-Nation smartarses a bit more.

[/quote]

You know that Miserere was being facetious, right? Look at the name of that “company”. Notice any subliminal messages?

Seriously, if the response of “My flax only has 1g fat” was not the funniest shit I’ve read on here in a long time… I just don’t know what is.

[quote]magnetnerd wrote:

You know that Miserere was being facetious, right?
[/quote]

Nope, I didn’t lol.Flew right by me- seeing as alot of other ‘unsure’ posts were dead serious.

Just a note on misleading tricks played by food companies.

Companies will play with serving sizes and then round down fat or other nutrient grams, so that they can legally claim “no fat” or some other such bullshit.

As for the original question, I’d go with coconut oil, as it is quite stable when heated compared to some other more commonly used oils.

[quote]Vegilles wrote:
magnetnerd wrote:

Nope, I didn’t lol.Flew right by me- seeing as alot of other ‘unsure’ posts were dead serious.
[/quote]

What “unsure” post are you talking about.

If you are talking ratios of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated I agree with you.

If you are saying some magical fats have less overall fat per tablespoon, please provide some data to back up your assertion.

Here is a link you may find useful.

http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=40&id=189

Lifted from this link “In fact, all edible food oils contain about 120 calories per tablespoon.”

[quote]magnetnerd wrote:
You know that Miserere was being facetious, right? Look at the name of that “company”. Notice any subliminal messages?
[/quote]

I’m glad someone got it! :slight_smile:

I was just trying to get the point across that oil is fat, and fat is oil, and you can’t stray far from 9cals of fat per 1g of oil.

[quote] Miserere
01/14/06
10:14 AM
England

[quote]magnetnerd wrote:
You know that Miserere was being facetious, right? Look at the name of that “company”. Notice any subliminal messages?[/quote]

I’m glad someone got it! :-)[/quote]

I’m glad someone got it and told me :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
Vegilles wrote:
magnetnerd wrote:

Nope, I didn’t lol.Flew right by me- seeing as alot of other ‘unsure’ posts were dead serious.[/quote]

Posts of Whitefish and it seemed yours/but now I see your point you meant. [sorry]

Yes, but moreover ratios of unsaturated fats to saturated fats in oil. And like I mentioned we need saturated fats not in excess of its proper amount.

[quote]If you are saying some magical fats have less overall fat per tablespoon, please provide some data to back up your assertion.

Here is a link you may find useful.[/quote]

I have enough ‘fat’ links to make my head explode. But thanks though.

We’re talking different things; I never did mention calories, but those facts which you point out are obviously correct.

I can’t recall the name of the product but Procter and Gamble invented a “synthetic” fat with no calories. It’s in some chips and snacks and stuff. Maybe the “no-fat” oil that you’re taking about.

But, the fact is it’s not really oil. It’s some synthetic (probably a plant polymer) to act like a fat for browning and texture in products.

My gut feeling is I wouldn’t recommend it. Get some good quality fats from a variety of sources. There are plenty of resources here for that.

Otherwise, all oils are all fat. May be different types of fat, but all fat.

[quote]Vegilles wrote:
Miserere wrote:

Avoiding fats in oils!!? I’m interested to find out what was actually in that fat-less oil / seriously- car lubricant oil has no fat!

[/quote]

Sorry dude, you’re wrong again. Dietary fats are defined as such based on the carbon hydrogen structure of the molecule. I assure you that that the carbon hydrogen structure of a motor oil could be defined as a fat.

[quote]rmetz wrote:
I can’t recall the name of the product but Procter and Gamble invented a “synthetic” fat with no calories.[/quote]

Olestra. That’s the product I was thinking of when I said that I’m not sure whether there is a “low-fat oil”. At the time I didn’t know the structure of Olestra. Not that I really cared. I like fat. I like the taste. Olestra has no calories or nutritive value. Olestra is indigestible.

I can’t imagine why anyone would want a “low fat oil”. Besides, olestra may cause intestinal cramps, loose stools and anal leakage. Loose stool? I’ll take real fat any day.