Two Questions

Hi CT

1. I was wondering why curling a lot of wait does no transfer over to carrying heavy boxes up in the stairs or doing any movement that resembles a weight carried in front of your body?

2. I have long limbs and a short torso and even during stuff leg deads or klokov style deads I never feel deadlifts in my lower back mostly hams and glutes. Is this common?

Thank you

I’ve read articles by strongman athletes who said that they did heavy curls to help with tire flips.

#2 you should feel your hams and glutes more with a stiff leg or Romanian style dead lift. you may also be weak in those areas or have bad form if you never feel it in your lower back at all. Guy at the gym the other day was doing them and he was literally straight up and down and never used his back any. Looked like he was trying to do squats with the bar in a hang position and kept his back at 90° from the floor. One of the trainers caught it and stopped him and showed the correct form. This is just a guess. May or May not be what your doing.

#1 curling is a stationary movement. You don’t walk while your doing them. I would think the only thing curls would do is help you lift the box to the holding position. Probably be beneficial to do farmers carries to strengthen the muscles your using or do like the strong man comps where you hold a heavy object in front of you and walk for a certain distance. This is just what I think. I could be wrong on both though.

For the box thing. First we must consider that many different muscles are involved in carrying boxes. And I believe that those who are efficient at carrying boxes are able to divide the load among the most muscles.

If someone does a lot of direct biceps work and significantly strengthens them, make them bigger and improve the capacity to recruit fast-twitch fibers then he will tend to use the biceps a lot more during box carries… the biceps will contract/tense much harder and as a result they will fatigue faster.

One of my former athlete, a very solid football player with a 500lbs+ bench press and who was over 300lbs of solid mass had twin babies… he could hold them maybe 5 minutes in his arms and has to stop because his arms fatigue… but his wife can hold them forever despite being less than 1/2 his size and 1/5th of his strength.

That having seen said, if biceps mass is build while doing a lot of loaded carries, there will be a better transfer.

Thanks CT !

Your answer is interesting. I have thought about this before and in certain sports or situations the body requires a continued output of strength and tension. For example in wrestling you have to keep grappling and pinning someone down or in football you have to keep pushing one long push or blocking that must be maintained. Often the way we train for strength maybe 1 to 5 reps and aim for an explosive concentric thus is their a lot of transfer over or do you add a lot of isometrics?

How do you train for constant output or one long continuous rep?

I recall Klokov realized this and at the end of a set of 5 push presses, behind the neck presses or military presses he will finish the last rep by turning it into an overhead squat.

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
I recall Klokov realized this and at the end of a set of 5 push presses, behind the neck presses or military presses he will finish the last rep by turning it into an overhead squat.[/quote]

That is a strategy I use often when training Crossfit athlete. A good complex we use to build overhead strength is:

5 muscle snatches
5 Behind the neck press (or slight push press)
5 overhead squat

We also do a lot of overhead carries