Two Newbie Questions

At the risk of sounding totally fucking stupid: when guys post here that they bench 200 or 400 or whatever, does that mean that they are lifting a total of 200 or whatever pounds, i.e, that each side of the bar bell has 100 lbs on it, or is the weight of the barbell factored into it? Let me ask this another way: I bench with two 50 lb plates on either side of the bar bell. So am I benching 100 lbs?

Another question: I’m tall – 6’3". My sense is that some exercises, chin ups and dips especially, are simply harder. And it seems that shorter and mid-range guys seem to bulk up more quickly – they seem more beefy and compact. Of course every now and again this theory is blown away when I see a tall, really built guy at the gym. But for you more experienced/serious lifters: am I right that bulking up is harder for taller men?

I just started lifting about a year and a half ago, and now am doing it with a bit more focus – and really like The New Rules of Lifting (thoughts? Good program? I like it’s holistic approach and focus on functional exercise. I’m 48, have two kids and a busy job, so am limited in how much I can put into my lifting program, but am determined to be fit. I work out 6 days/week, alternating between running 45 minutes and lifting days. I could probably do more intense workouts, but I’ve got so much other stuff to do that it’s hard.

Thanks bros.

They are referencing total poundage for instance 135 would be a 45 lb bar and a 45 lb plate on each side. It takes more power for a guy with longer bones (if the 2 guys weigh the same) to do chins and dips. Power is a function of force and distance so if u r covering more distance it takes more power.

It depends. If I am doing barbell bench press using the bar and a 45 on each side I would write down 135. If I am doing dumbbell bench press using 45 lbs dumbbells I write down 45 since my arm was only pushing 45 lbs. I guess I use the weight that is applied to the joint or exercise. If I am doing lunges with a 45 lb dumbbell in each hand I write down 90 since my leg was pushing 90 lbs during the exercise.

I hope this makes sense.

[quote]wasBr0k3n wrote:
They are referencing total poundage for instance 135 would be a 45 lb bar and a 45 lb plate on each side. It takes more power for a guy with longer bones (if the 2 guys weigh the same) to do chins and dips. Power is a function of force and distance so if u r covering more distance it takes more power. [/quote]

Actually I’m not sure thats 100% right. I think it has more to do with arm length for dips and chins. Range of motion for both of those isn’t height based but rather based on the arm. For example chins done from a dead hang wouldn’t matter how tall you were because you are hanging at arms length. Now taller guys probably have longer arms but that isn’t always the case.

Mostly though body mechanics are a very small part of someones training. If you have everything else dialed in then its a tiny part of the whole. If you don’t have the other parts dialed in then you have bigger fish to fry than body mechanics you can’t change anyway.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

[quote]wasBr0k3n wrote:
They are referencing total poundage for instance 135 would be a 45 lb bar and a 45 lb plate on each side. It takes more power for a guy with longer bones (if the 2 guys weigh the same) to do chins and dips. Power is a function of force and distance so if u r covering more distance it takes more power. [/quote]

Actually I’m not sure thats 100% right. I think it has more to do with arm length for dips and chins. Range of motion for both of those isn’t height based but rather based on the arm. For example chins done from a dead hang wouldn’t matter how tall you were because you are hanging at arms length. Now taller guys probably have longer arms but that isn’t always the case.

Mostly though body mechanics are a very small part of someones training. If you have everything else dialed in then its a tiny part of the whole. If you don’t have the other parts dialed in then you have bigger fish to fry than body mechanics you can’t change anyway.[/quote]

Says the guy with short arms :slight_smile:

Any BB exercise is bar plus plates. DB is whatever the DB is. In commercial gyms, they are typically pre-loaded so they are whatever is stamped on it.

Like Joe says, it’s more a function of limb length than height. I’m not especially tall but I have long arms. My bench isn’t the best but it’s an advantage for deadlift. You learn the mechanics of your own body, exploit your advantages and work the hell out of the disadvantages.

[quote]walkersc wrote:
At the risk of sounding totally fucking stupid: when guys post here that they bench 200 or 400 or whatever, does that mean that they are lifting a total of 200 or whatever pounds, i.e, that each side of the bar bell has 100 lbs on it, or is the weight of the barbell factored into it? Let me ask this another way: I bench with two 50 lb plates on either side of the bar bell. So am I benching 100 lbs?

Another question: I’m tall – 6’3". My sense is that some exercises, chin ups and dips especially, are simply harder. And it seems that shorter and mid-range guys seem to bulk up more quickly – they seem more beefy and compact. Of course every now and again this theory is blown away when I see a tall, really built guy at the gym. But for you more experienced/serious lifters: am I right that bulking up is harder for taller men?

I just started lifting about a year and a half ago, and now am doing it with a bit more focus – and really like The New Rules of Lifting (thoughts? Good program? I like it’s holistic approach and focus on functional exercise. I’m 48, have two kids and a busy job, so am limited in how much I can put into my lifting program, but am determined to be fit. I work out 6 days/week, alternating between running 45 minutes and lifting days. I could probably do more intense workouts, but I’ve got so much other stuff to do that it’s hard.

Thanks bros.[/quote]

I’m closing in on 35 so i figured i would post here to get a head start. :slight_smile:

If you want to put on some muscle you should drop long duration running. Add some high intensity stuff - sprints for example and/or light walking.

Personally, i would weight train more often instead.

[quote]canada wrote:

[quote]walkersc wrote:

Thanks bros.[/quote]

I’m closing in on 35 so i figured i would post here to get a head start. :slight_smile:

If you want to put on some muscle you should drop long duration running. Add some high intensity stuff - sprints for example and/or light walking.

Personally, i would weight train more often instead.[/quote]

I’ve read about the long-duration running counteracting muscle building – but I guess my question is: is running at an even pace for 45 minutes 3X week long-duration running? Certainly marathon training would counteract muscle gains made by lifting…but does my lower intensity running as well? All things even, I’d prefer to run and lift. But if I’d bulk up if I stopped running…I might stop and focus on weights.

Try it, eat and workout 4-7x a week. NROL is a decent system for overall fitness but i hardly consider it an optimal mass program.

I feel CT’s HPmass will make changes to your body faster then most anything. Lots of systems work but probably not so fast.

I’m a big fan of High Frequency.

Thinking a little more starting strength might be a better choice for a beginner if your strength numbers are relatively low.

There’s a few articles on T-Nation about SS. Its pretty simple.