T Nation

Two Months In...

from a 6 month rest. this is the heaviest ive been at 160lbs 5’7 23 years old.
I use total body workouts rather than split routine.
I basically only use 6 exercises

weight pull ups
deads
squats
rows
bench
overhead

in between, or once a week ill do power/hang cleans

i dont focus on the “aesthetics” just yet. my diet is horrendous, but ive managed to pack on 10 lbs in the past month… most of it in my belly lol

squats
225lbs for 8
deads
365lbs max (attempted one month ago)
weighted pull ups
90lbs + bodyweight = 250lbs for 8
bench press
245lbs max… weakest lift

well if your diet is as horrendous as you claim, which i think it is judging by how much bf you’re carrying, you’d better make a change in that area like YESTERDAY if you plan to make any sort of progress whatsoever. we are exactly the same height and weight so i think you’ll see you have your work cut out for you. i followed the PN system by dr. John Berardi and went from 14% bf to 9% in less than 6 months. it’s worth looking into my friend.

here’s an article about his plan to get you started:

Definately gotta clean that diet up…

[quote]1morerep wrote:
well if your diet is as horrendous as you claim, which i think it is judging by how much bf you’re carrying, you’d better make a change in that area like YESTERDAY if you plan to make any sort of progress whatsoever. we are exactly the same height and weight so i think you’ll see you have your work cut out for you. i followed the PN system by dr. John Berardi and went from 14% bf to 9% in less than 6 months. it’s worth looking into my friend. [/quote]

yes absolutely, i have a long way to go… but i dont think ill start cutting until march… which gives me about 3 months before summer starts up.
i dont have much mass either but frankly, i am a hard gainer. no it is not an excuse, just wanna let ya know that i used to wrestle at 119lbs my senior year in high school. i believe i was at 6% bf then. i used an electronic bf calculator and it came up as 11%. hellllllzz no im not 11%. im guesstimating 15 - 17%.

but im still too scrawney to be cutting just yet. i kinda wanted that fat to aid in muscle growth.

my real question is, which part of my body do you think needs more attention… in mass?

btw, is that you in the picture?

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
btw, is that you in the picture?[/quote]

yes that’s me in my avitar. and it’s way too early to start specifying what areas need more work. before you go there you need to take a solid year or 2 to just develop an overall foundation of size which you haven’t really even scratched the surface in doing yet. you need work from head to toe. i’m not trying to be discouraging…just being objectively honest. i’d work on dropping the excess bf THEN start working on a clean bulk. and i doubt you’re a hard gainer either.

you’re just not training/eating correctly is my guess as to why you’re not progressing. do some research in the beginners section…find a mass building rotine and diet and stick to it with brutal consistancy for at least 6 months and keep accurate tabs on your progress. invest in a tanita body comp scale and record your progress (or lack there of) in terms of bf & lean muscle, strength gains, keep a diet log too. this will tell you if what you’re doing is working. a lot of work right?? you bet your ass it is! if it wasn’t, evereyone would have a great physique. and i know you’re also thinking “oh man 6 whole months”?? but dude…this takes YEARS. 6 months is a drop in the bucket!

yah… i dont think u need to focus on any parts u just need to focus on all of them… thing is ur exercise selection looks good and for ur weight i think ur lifts are pretty good… at least relative to what ur body looks like… and im not just talking about fat… ur lifts belie ur overall mass as well… and with numbers and exercise selection like that i suspect the problem is almost certainly ur diet.

give us a sample diet… be totally honest so we can help u… check out… nutrition and supplements for newbies by Christian Thibaudeau in the newbies section and then start reading nutrition articles by John Berardi

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
yah… i dont think u need to focus on any parts u just need to focus on all of them… thing is ur exercise selection looks good and for ur weight i think ur lifts are pretty good… at least relative to what ur body looks like… and im not just talking about fat… ur lifts belie ur overall mass as well… and with numbers and exercise selection like that i suspect the problem is almost certainly ur diet.

give us a sample diet… be totally honest so we can help u… check out… nutrition and supplements for newbies by Christian Thibaudeau in the newbies section and then start reading nutrition articles by John Berardi[/quote]

holy crap… are you really going to make me do this :
Ill only do it to slap myself in the face… maybe it’ll wake me up.

Lifting Day

11pm 2 big bites from 7 11. extra chili and cheese

2pm grilled chicken caesar wrap

5pm strawberry fields protein shake from Bally’s

8pm - 10pm lift

11pm 2 scoops Metabolic Drive

12am rice meat and veggies. 1 fish oil.

…have mercy…

[quote]1morerep wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:
btw, is that you in the picture?

yes that’s me in my avitar. and it’s way too early to start specifying what areas need more work. before you go there you need to take a solid year or 2 to just develop an overall foundation of size which you haven’t really even scratched the surface in doing yet. you need work from head to toe. i’m not trying to be discouraging…just being objectively honest. i’d work on dropping the excess bf THEN start working on a clean bulk. and i doubt you’re a hard gainer either.

you’re just not training/eating correctly is my guess as to why you’re not progressing. do some research in the beginners section…find a mass building rotine and diet and stick to it with brutal consistancy for at least 6 months and keep accurate tabs on your progress. invest in a tanita body comp scale and record your progress (or lack there of) in terms of bf & lean muscle, strength gains, keep a diet log too. this will tell you if what you’re doing is working. a lot of work right?? you bet your ass it is! if it wasn’t, evereyone would have a great physique. and i know you’re also thinking “oh man 6 whole months”?? but dude…this takes YEARS. 6 months is a drop in the bucket! [/quote]

you are completely right. I need to get on this thing for another couple months. I guess the gains in strength gave me the illusion that I was actually gaining more than i originally thought.

very frankly, ive been lifting these past two months solely for strength, I just got a lil chunky on the way that made me actually think it was muscle. haha… who was i kidding.

Should i start split body training?

that’s where the body comp scale comes in handy…you can see whether the rise and fall of lbs are fat or muscle

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
HotCarl28 wrote:

give us a sample diet… be totally honest so we can help u… check out… nutrition and supplements for newbies by Christian Thibaudeau in the newbies section and then start reading nutrition articles by John Berardi

Lifting Day

8pm - 10pm lift

…have mercy…

[/quote]

that has to be the worste possible diet i have ever seen someone post. you are not going anywhere very very fast. you seriously need to start reading some material on this site.

of course your a hardgainer you dont fuckin eat anything that would make you grow; with the exception of your gut.

[quote]All2ez wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:
HotCarl28 wrote:

Lifting Day

8pm - 10pm lift

…have mercy…

that has to be the worste possible diet i have ever seen someone post. you are not going anywhere very very fast. you seriously need to start reading some material on this site.

of course your a hardgainer you dont fuckin eat anything that would make you grow; with the exception of your gut.

[/quote]

agreed. There’s absolutely no more than 90grams(most of it from Metabolic Drive) of protein in that meal…and horrible sources of protein to boot. The diet is a must change. I’m obviously unsure of your living situation , but eggs, lean cuts of beef , chicken breasts , tuna are a must. No workout will work up to its potential unless you get the food intake to go along with it.

Man, the only thing i have yet to see on this forum is someone who’s diet consists of mt.Dew and cigarettes posting in rate my physique… but i’m sure it’ll happen one of these days.
Anyways , i hope to see your nutrition change completly in the next few weeks and post back in another six months.

yeah so i think its ur diet… lol

when do u wake up btw… it looks like ur prolly skipping breakfast which is a huge no-no… uve already gone 7-9 hours… (hopefully ur getting this much sleep) with no protein intake… u want to put an end to that protein fast as soon as possible… breakfast is another time that u can put a protein shake and some simple carbs… if u dont wanna do this

3-4 eggs and toast is another decent option

anyway start reading some nutrition articles like i said before to get some better ideas on nutrient timing etc…

wait a second… i just read ur profile… ur a personal trainer?

personal trainer?? please tell me you mean dog trainer…please let it be that! or perhaps a sensitivity trainer?

Would you actually be shocked?

Hell he’s at least stronger than some of the weedy motherfuckers at my first gym who were dubbed personal trainers.

How are you a PT???@!

i am. unfortunately i dont/cant practice what i preach. i hate to use excuses but i am a full time student, i take care of a little brother at home with no parents, i have to cook clean and work full time. right now im taking a break after getting back from work and doing 3 loads of laundry… finishing up dishes in between. its 9pm and i finally got some dinner cooking on the stove… this is only because i came home early from work because of the bad weather.

this is what my IDEAL bulk diet would look like.

Breakfast 6am - 7am
1 whole egg
5 egg whites
two toasts
3 turkey sausage links
2 glasses of OJ
3 fish oil

Snack 9am - 10am
an apple with handful of sunflower seed kernels

Lunch 12pm - 1pm
half of oven roasted chicken
side of spinach and potatoes

Pre Workout 3pm
Metabolic Drive bar
or a banana and an apple or orange

Post Workout 5pm
2 - 3 scoops Metabolic Drive
1 whole banana
1/2 cup blue/raspberries

Dinner 8pm
8 - 10 oz sirloin steak
side of sauteed green beans
and steamed broccoli

Before Bed
3 ZMA

This is definitely possible, but I dont think it can be done everyday. At times I get 3 - 4 clients in a row where I cant find time to sit and enjoy a meal. Yes i can spread them out but i have to get home in time to study/homework, clean, and fix up dinner for myself and the lil bro.

good news is ill be getting a car really soon so ill have some kind of leverage.

[quote]1morerep wrote:
personal trainer?? please tell me you mean dog trainer…please let it be that! or perhaps a sensitivity trainer? [/quote]

Ok, 1morerep, that was your best line yet…LOL!