Two Day/Week New Template Question

“The lift that is being emphasized should be full attention and this is when PR’S are achieved, Joker sets done and volume work done.”

My question is for the second lift of the day can I base the % selection on how i feel that day after the main work ?

In your book you give 3 options but today I was feeling a little beat up so I went below the recommended %'s and did 45%x3 55%x3 and 65%x3 , is this okay? and would it be okay to stick with depending on the volume work of the main lift?

Im referring to the new two day a week template in the beyond book.
ex:
Bench 5/3/1
Press 65%x3 75%3 85x3
accessory work

The point of 2days a week template is just that. You do 531 and the percentages for both exercises. NOt sure what else to say…if two 5/3/1 exercises in one training session are two much do 3 days. or spread out over a week or into the next week. or try DOnt DO JAck…

Example from a post last year is with an accessory for each day. Wendler already commented on this template and said it was good but didnt need the accessory. Focus more on supplemental work.

Workout A:

• Overhead Press 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Deadlifts 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Pull-ups x 50 total reps

Workout B:

• Squat 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Bench 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Rows x 50 total reps

Again, The DONT DO JACK SHIT template is great for 2 days per week.
Good Luck

Reconbyfire, he isn’t doing all four lifts 5/3/1, he is doing only two main lifts 531 and the other lifts as accessories.

Bench 531 / Press accessory
Squat 531 / Deadlift accessory and alternate the 531 exercise the next week
It takes 6 weeks for one complete cycle instead of 3

But I agree with reconbyfire’s intent - OP, your template is easier than the one he mentioned, unless you are doing supplemental work after your 531 on your bench in your example or something, there is no way you shouldn’t be hitting 85% for 3 on press. Work on your recovery and eating, not making a difficult endeavor easier (meaning if you have a bad day, fine; but don’t pursue an option to give yourself an easy out when you should be pushing yourself).

[quote]bartmann wrote:
Reconbyfire, he isn’t doing all four lifts 5/3/1, he is doing only two main lifts 531 and the other lifts as accessories.

Bench 531 / Press accessory
Squat 531 / Deadlift accessory and alternate the 531 exercise the next week
It takes 6 weeks for one complete cycle instead of 3

But I agree with reconbyfire’s intent - OP, your template is easier than the one he mentioned, unless you are doing supplemental work after your 531 on your bench in your example or something, there is no way you shouldn’t be hitting 85% for 3 on press. Work on your recovery and eating, not making a difficult endeavor easier (meaning if you have a bad day, fine; but don’t pursue an option to give yourself an easy out when you should be pushing yourself).[/quote]

I see now that the post was edited to include the example. Just looked at my PDF. However, I stand with a ‘Do it as written’ attitude and watch the extra crap(supplemental and accessory)if you cant make the lift %'s.

Also what Bartmann said…eat, sleep, and whatever tickles your fancy.

[quote]Cdodd07 wrote:
“The lift that is being emphasized should be full attention and this is when PR’S are achieved, Joker sets done and volume work done.”

My question is for the second lift of the day can I base the % selection on how i feel that day after the main work ?

In your book you give 3 options but today I was feeling a little beat up so I went below the recommended %'s and did 45%x3 55%x3 and 65%x3 , is this okay? and would it be okay to stick with depending on the volume work of the main lift?

Im referring to the new two day a week template in the beyond book.
ex:
Bench 5/3/1
Press 65%x3 75%3 85x3
accessory work
[/quote]

Let me know the page number.

Page 59.

Would it be okay to use FSL percentages for the opposite lift on a 2x week template vs the other 3 percentage options in the book?

bench 5/3/1
Press 65% 3x5

squat 5/3/1
deadlift 65% 3x5

?

Dude, if you’re wanting to lift two days a week. Just lift two days a week. If you want to do an upper/lower split, and do only one main lift, give it a shot. see how it works for you. Hammer a big variation for reps of the opposite lift. Finish with abs and some upper back work. Hit up some vanity if you want. Just lift. You don’t need anybody’s approval to do something in the gym.

Yes, that is fine - you can use higher volume though.