T Nation

Two Day a Week Strength + Conditioning

Hello,

After re reading 5/3/1 and assessing my levels of strenght, conditioning and flexibility I have decided on the following plan:

• Strength training: 2 days a week
  • Cardio + flexibility: 4 days a week

As you can see I´m putting an emphasis on cardio and flexibility as I really suck at them. Cardio will be 45 min (to start with) at a heart beat of 130-140 bpm and 20 minutes of stretching. I will foam roll after strength workouts.

I would like to know if the strength workouts I have devised would allow me to increase in strength, training two days a week and if there are any changes you would make:

Workout 1:

Squat: 5/3/1
Weighted Chinup: 5/3/1
Bench press: 3 sets of 6-8 reps
Superset: Dumbell row/Dumbell Military press 2-3 sets of 10 reps
Some ab or hyperextension exercises for high reps

Workout 2:

Deadlift: 5/3/1
Bench press: 5/3/1
Chinup 3 sets of 5 reps
Split squat: 3 sets of 6-8 reps
Some ab or hyperextension exercises for high reps

I would thank any constructive input,

Thank you in advance for your help

I do this:

2 strength sessions a week and 3-4 cardio sessions a week.

Session A
Front squat 531 + fsl
Bench 531 + fsl
Rows 50reps
Curls 50reps (optional)

Session B
Deadlift 531 + fsl
Press 531+fsl
Chins 50reps
Pushups 50reps (optional)

Cardio is trailrunning, training bike, crawling. Just do what you like and let it build up over time.

And have you been able to gain strength? Any pointers?

Im adding the low rep weighted pullups because I want to gain strength in that exercise, as doing 50 reps bw doesnt seem to cut it for me.

As for leg training, doing just the 5/3/1 + fsl is enough to gain strength? I added the split squats to at least have the same volume as on a three day split...

There are numerous 2 day/week templates out there that have been proven to work - because we tested them out. Check them out as they, for the most part, include conditioning work. If you are doing 45 minutes of slow cardio stuff I really wouldn't consider this "conditioning" unless you are/were a sedentary, morbidly obese person.

So you are welcome to train more if you want. Also, I have about 5 different weighted pull-up routines that work better. So do them.