Two a Days

Stop me if this sounds retarded, but-

Recently as I was spacing out, a few different concepts were pinging around in my head. Some of it was stuff that I read here, others were just stuff that I’d heard about or observed for myself.

1. The (probably apocryphal) “sumo wrestlers have the highest muscle mass to bodyfat ratio”

2. Dan John’s One Lift a Day and programs where you set a limit for reps and try to beat it

3. Weight training is a learned skill that needs to be practiced repeatedly to get any good at it

4. Some wrestler/bodybuilder I heard about who did nothing but lay around, eat and do squats, presses, bench and stuff for his arms all day and got hyoooge

5. I like pie

So anyway, after a while, the following occurred to me;

If someone were to take two compound lifts and pair them according to opposing muscle groups (bench press/row, narrow stance Oly squat/sumo deadlift, curl/tri extension), THEN set a rep goal based on load (e.g. 10RM = 100 reps, 5RM = 50 or whatever) and give the person an hour to achieve x number of reps per exercise, what would be the result?

Does this strike anyone as a viable split? Just two “money” exercises, basically supersetted (albeit with whatever rest periods necessary) for an hour? Rotate exercises so it doesn’t beat the joints up too much, eat eat eat and every time you get the TOTAL reps, increase the load 5-10 pounds?

Something like this, maybe;

MON: Squat/deadlift variation
TUES: Bench/row
THUR: Squat/DL
FRI: OH press/vertical pull variation
SUN: Arms

WEEK 1: 10RM
WEEK 3: 5RM
WEEK 5: 2RM
WEEK 6: 8RM

Deload for a week or two with light straight sets after.

The idea is attractive to me, but I wanted to get some input as to whether this is could actually succeed before I tried it.

Succeed in what way?
BTW point one is complete bollocks, think about it.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Succeed in what way?
BTW point one is complete bollocks, think about it.[/quote]

Actually point one is possible if you think about it. How much do organs, skeletal frame, water, etc weigh? A 160 pound olympic lifter with 6 pct. bodyfat may have much more lean mass than body fat when compared to a sumo wrestler, but we are talking about the ratio of muscle mass to weight. When someone weighs 500-600 pounds, the mass that is neither fat nor muscle is a much smaller fraction of their total weight, bringing up their ratio of muscle mass to bodyweight despite a relatively high body fat pct… not saying it’s true, but it’s not out of the question.

And even if sumo wrestlers do have the highest percentage of muscle to bodyfat…is that a worthy goal then?

When Dante said that, he said the highest TOTAL amount of lean bodymass. There was no ratio involved. Sumo wrestlers are fucking fat, it should be obvious point one is not true.

yeah sumo carry more muscle but their still very fat, best muscle to body fat would be pro bodybuilder.

It can obviously work if you keep the volume high for each exercise, which is what you plan to do. I would even drop the arm day, and maybe just tack on a few sets to the end of one of the upper days. The squat/dead pairing is also questionable. I would do something like squats and GHR or leg curls on one day, then deads and sissy squats or leg extensions on the other. Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is more along the lines of what Poliquin recommends for GVT.

Be a viable program that will actually make a person bigger & stronger.

I know. Remember, I was half-asleep at the time I thought of this.

What he said. Obviously some of this is second and third-hand, which is why it came out a bit garbled.

Probably something along the lines of front squats/RDLs would be better. I just thought Oly squats and sumo deads as I didn’t want to hammer hamstrings and glutes too hard in one session. I think with the amount of volume being performed, even in later weeks you can switch exercises virtually every session and still do quite well.

Probably. Not really familiar with it.

Either way, I say give it a shot and keep us posted. I like this style of training (i.e. upper/lower split with big compounds).

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
… but we are talking about the ratio of muscle mass to weight. quote]

No,

1. The (probably apocryphal) “sumo wrestlers have the highest muscle mass to bodyfat ratio” i.e not muscle mass to weight.

I think I will. Plan to get my numbers up beforehand, though.

I’ll post another topic when I start.

Another good idea would be to pair say squats/pull-ups or row, deadlift/bench or OH press, but you obviously couldn’t do this everyday though. Maybe 3 times a week or every second day, so you’d have one week with 3 workouts followed by a week with 4 workouts. The reason I say this is because I’ve tried doing squats and deads in the same workout, and by the end my lower back was fried and I couldn’t keep a good arch in my back. Anyway, just my two cents.

You could do 2 a days for the 2 lift a day program if you did isolation exercises. Stupid but it would work.

I’ll have to give a try and see. I do squats, deads and good mornings all in the same session twice a week, but my bodytype could best be described as “stubby”.

Not sure I understand what you mean here. Just do two isolation lifts for a given bodypart, or two DIFFERENT iso exercises?

I mean, for the arm day (something I desperately need) I had just planned something along the lines of curls/tri extensions for the whole session. Or hammer curls and dips, or whatever. Maybe do some forearm and grip stuff, too.