T Nation

Twitch reps, deadstop reps & accentuated eccentric training ...

What happened to them? We're all talking about eccentric-less training now as a way to increase mechanical load, and reduce recovery time.

But before we were discussing 3 methods that increased overload and therefore needed more recovery time -- they were effective because they were so demanding on the body.

How do we use best these methods in the same phase with eccentric-less methods?

(I know that eccentric-less neural charge workouts can help recovery and perhaps the decrease in speed that comes a few days after eccentric training, but otherwise I don't have a good way to schedule these demanding methods with the more autoregulatory and recovery-centered methods.)

I don't think the three earlier methods were about needing more recovery time, but a focus on not creating excessive fatigue (auto-regulation, and avoiding CNS fatigue). If you watch the current videos, I believe Christian keeps pointing out that eccentric-less training is a method to increase mechanical load, but not the actual need for more recovery time. They're not contrary, merely different methods. I still like to throw in occasional twitch-reps just to get myself in the proper mindset (and activated) to hit explosive reps. You have to remember that there are a hell of a lot of different training methods, and as CT experiments with something new, it doesn't necessarily mean that everything he previously discussed suddenly becomes ineffectual.

S

Of course, I assume that he hasn't disavowed any of these previously discussed methods. I just don't know how he puts them in context with the force spectrum and active recovery ones.

Accentuated eccentrics, for example, slow down rep speed in the subsequent days of training, limiting your max force point. And when CT was discussing twitch reps and exercises from a deadstop, he emphasized how easy it was to overdo them.

BTW, I was not saying that twitch reps, deadstops and accentuated eccentrics are good BECAUSE they increase recovery time, but that the increased recovery time is a side effect, and a side effect that is at odds with trying to do as much workload (ex. most number of training sessions, at least those sessions not for neural recovery) as possible without burning out.