T Nation

Twing Lower Back Strain Deadlift

The title doesnt make sense sorry about that. I was 2 weeks away from starting my 12 week power lifting cycle, my very first power meet. I was sumo dead lifting about 445lb when on the first rep I felt a twing or snap in my lower back left side. It hurt when I walked, hurt like hell when I bent over. I was pretty much lying on my back for 2 days.

Alot of heat pad and alot of pain reliever. A week after the injury I realized that it is definitely not a muscle pull but could be a ligament or something.

( 7 days out from injury) I dead lifted yesterday 225 lb for about 5x4. light stuff and it felt okay. I am extremely disappointing because this was my first meet and I really wanted to hit some good numbers even for a newbie like myself. My plan was to hit 500lb deadlift, 400 squat, and 380 bench @ 165. Becasuse I am so afraid of re injuring my back I may attempt 400lb dead lift, 315 squat, and bench 380lb. I still would love to compete and put some numbers up even if I dont place. Pushing it any harder honestly scares the shit out of me because ive never been hurt like this before.

I think it happened because when I went down to grip the bar, I grabbed it with my left and first applied some tension to bar and then grabbed it with my right hand to start the pull. I think this may have created some sort of imbalance and rotation. Usually I always grab the bar with both hands at the same time but on this day I did something different I dont know why.

I was wondering if anyone had this type of injury and how you recovered from it, and also what are your thoughts on the numbers I should be hitting for the meet 13 weeks away. I would really appreciate the advice. Thank You

If it doesn’t cost much I would get it checked out. Otherwise I would slowly ease in to it by doing more rep work with low intensity to gauge pain instead of any high intensity work and slowly increase intensity over time. That could take weeks or months before getting back to what you’re used to - it’s hard to make that decision when you don’t know the true cause of injury. You probably shouldn’t worry about your squat and deadlift numbers for this meet. It is disappointing but being able to walk and do normal activities is a higher priority.

Changing the setup can make a difference but what matters more is getting full body tightness before initiating the lift and remaining rigid throughout the pull. Even when my position is slightly off, if my torso is locked in then it greatly reduces chances for injury. Do you jerk the weight up when pulling?

On the positive side, you probably have a strong bench so you could put up a big bench if you’re focusing only on that while prepping for the meet. Just remember this will be a learning experience. Have a goal, put in the work, compete, evaluate what worked and what didn’t, and repeat.

Find a Physio or Chiro and have them take a look. Its important to find out why this happened and sometimes they can see things that you can’t.
I had a pretty bad back strain that kept me sidelined for a few months. I had to go back to squatting just the bar for a few weeks.

No I was not jerking the weight. I am going to start squating light on Monday to see what happens. Perhaps do like 185 to gauge muscles like you said and go from there.