Twice-a-Day Training Critique

I’m looking for some intelligent input regarding my first two-a-day training split. My goal is to gain roughly half a pound of lean mass each week using this program for the next 6 weeks or so. I’m slightly concerned about my body’s capacity for recovery, and was a little unsure about the volume I’ve included in this program. I’ve read articles and threads including tips for twice a day training, but needed some confirmation. My A.M. session will be at 11:00, and the P.M. session at 9:30. My exercise selection is somewhat limited as I’m using a home gym, which has been sufficient thus far. The program is as follows:

Day 1: Chest/Triceps/Calves
Day 2: Back/Shoulders/Forearms
Day 3: OFF
Day 4: Quads/Hams/Abs
Day 5: OFF

1AM
Incline Bench 8x5
Dips (Weighted) 8x5
Weighted Hops 5x15
1PM
Flat Dumbell Flye 4x12
Decline Dumbell Extension 4x12
Weighted Calf Raises 4x8

2AM
Wide-Grip Pullups 8x5
Seated Military Press 6x5
Behind-back Barbell Shrug 8x5
Barbell Wrist Curls 8x5
2PM
Dumbell Rows 4x12
Single-arm Dumbell Shrugs 4x12
Rear Deltoid Raise 4x12
Reverse Preacher Curl 4x12
Thor’s Hammer 4x10

3AM
Front Squat 8x5
Hamstring Curl 5x8
Weighted Situp 8x8
3PM
Quad Extension 4x12
Ab Wheel 4x6

Again, I’m most concerned about my sets and rep ranges. I’m trying to keep a reasonable daily energy expenditure while keeping in mind that the strain on CNS may be lessened with ample time between sessions. I’m curious about how others have responded/recovered with twice-a-day programs and I appreciate any criticism you guys can give.

You should simply keep compounds/low reps in the AM and higher reps in the PM…so the above LOOKS fine, but why no bicep work? Also, can you only train 3 days per week?

I would do this:

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Off
Day 3: Arms/Delts
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Repeat

or similar. I personally LOVE hitting the torso in one session(Chest/Back).

Keep 4-6 hours between sessions(ideally)

You will have to ensure you are taking in supps that ensure a HIGH immune system…glutamine etc.

2g/lb protein a day and energy nutrients dependant on your goal.

GJ

[quote]CCCannon wrote:
I’m looking for some intelligent input regarding my first two-a-day training split. My goal is to gain roughly half a pound of lean mass each week using this program for the next 6 weeks or so. I’m slightly concerned about my body’s capacity for recovery, and was a little unsure about the volume I’ve included in this program. I’ve read articles and threads including tips for twice a day training, but needed some confirmation. My A.M. session will be at 11:00, and the P.M. session at 9:30. My exercise selection is somewhat limited as I’m using a home gym, which has been sufficient thus far. The program is as follows:

1AM
Incline Bench 8x5
Dips (Weighted) 8x5
Weighted Hops 5x15
1PM
Flat Dumbell Flye 4x12
Weighted Calf Raises 4x8

2AM
Wide-Grip Pullups 8x5
Barbell Wrist Curls 8x5
2PM
Dumbell Rows 4x12
Rear Deltoid Raise 4x12
Thor’s Hammer 4x10

3AM
Front Squat 8x5
Hamstring Curl 5x8
Weighted Situp 8x8
3PM
Quad Extension 4x12
Ab Wheel 4x6

Again, I’m most concerned about my sets and rep ranges. I’m trying to keep a reasonable daily energy expenditure while keeping in mind that the strain on CNS may be lessened with ample time between sessions. I’m curious about how others have responded/recovered with twice-a-day programs and I appreciate any criticism you guys can give.
[/quote]

Why weighted hops?

[quote]Gymjunkie wrote:
You should simply keep compounds/low reps in the AM and higher reps in the PM…so the above LOOKS fine, but why no bicep work? Also, can you only train 3 days per week?

I would do this:

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Off
Day 3: Arms/Delts
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Repeat

or similar. I personally LOVE hitting the torso in one session(Chest/Back).

Keep 4-6 hours between sessions(ideally)

You will have to ensure you are taking in supps that ensure a HIGH immune system…glutamine etc.

2g/lb protein a day and energy nutrients dependant on your goal.

GJ[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I had planned to repeat the 5 day program as you suggested. So for an example, if day 1 is on a Monday, the next day 1 will be on Saturday, and so on. I’m omitting biceps to allow for physique balancing. I’ve been told my arms represent an overwhelming percent of my torso, so I’m content with allowing back and forearm work to cover that. As far as I can tell, the diet and supplement regime are sufficient.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
CCCannon wrote:

1AM
Incline Bench 8x5
Dips (Weighted) 8x5
Weighted Hops 5x15
1PM
Flat Dumbell Flye 4x12
Weighted Calf Raises 4x8

2AM
Wide-Grip Pullups 8x5
Barbell Wrist Curls 8x5
2PM
Dumbell Rows 4x12
Rear Deltoid Raise 4x12
Thor’s Hammer 4x10

3AM
Front Squat 8x5
Hamstring Curl 5x8
Weighted Situp 8x8
3PM
Quad Extension 4x12
Ab Wheel 4x6

Why weighted hops?
[/quote]

Well, since I’m using only a home gym, I’m somewhat limited in my calf exercise selection. I haven’t been seeing much calf development with standing, weighted calf raises, so I wanted to incorporate something new. I think I picked it up from a recent article that suggested it was an accurate emulation of athletes who tend to have advanced calf development (jumping/sprinting). I figured it was worth a shot.