T Nation

Twice A Day, Six Days A Week

I was currently working out six days a week and so far I’ve been getting progressively good results. I haven’t hit a plateau yet because I do a lot of reading and watch my diet so I’m happy where I’m going.

I really want to start working out twice a day because it’s the fastest way to growth but the only thing I’m unsure of is a new workout. I have a guy I workout with in the P.M. so I’d rather do my heavy lifting then since I have a spot and someone to push me.

Anyways, here’ my current workout routine and I’d like to get an idea or possibly a new workout routine made for working out twice a day.

Monday: Chest, Triceps and Abs

3x6-8 Flat Dumbbell Bench Press
3x6-8 Incline Barbell Bench Press
3x6-8 Decline Dumbbell Bench Press
3x10-12 Dumbbell Butterflies
3x10-12 Cable Cross Over

4x12-16 Parallel Dips(to failure)
4x10-12 Triceps Pull Down

3x16 Captain’s Chair
3x16 Weighted Hyper Extension
3x50 Bicycle Crunch

Tuesday: Back and Biceps

4x6-8 Dead Lift
4x12-16 Pull-Ups(to failure)
4x12-16 Chin-Ups(to failure)
4x8-10 Seated Row
4x10-12 Upright Machine or Low Rows

3x8-10 Barbell Curl
3x8-10 Dumbbell Curl

Wednesday: Legs and Shoulders

4x8-10 Squats
4x8-10 Leg Press

3x8-10 Military Press
3x10-12 Dumbbell Lateral Raise
3x10-12 Rear Fly Machine
4x12-16 Barbell Shrugs

A few exercises I would like to do such as free weighted rows and triceps extension but for some reason it hurts my shoulder so I’m avoiding those because my shoulder has been irritating me for quite some time.
My weak point is my chest and my strong point is my legs so I’m working on that.

I know for twice a day training it’s best to have one workout composted of higher reps and lower weight and the other to be composed of lower reps and higher weight. Another way I’ve heard is do compound in one workout and isolated in the other.

I’m very motivated and I really push myself and I can handle this workout, I would like a direction of where to go for working out twice a day with similar intensity and amount because I want to get to be 190 by this winter. I’m 170 right now with around 10% bf and I really want to bulk up in time and have a workout that helps as much as my eating habits will.

Thanks in advance!!!

Anybody?..

well not a lot of people actually train twice a day, but you’ve already proposed the supposed rules for lifting twice a day. So just do it, not that hard.

Lower weight in the morning, heavier at night (this is my opinion because if anyone has ever tried lifting early in the morning, the weight you can lift is much lower, something about the nervous system not being fully “awake”) Cut your volume in half, and put half in the morning and half in the evening.

Enough theory, go do it, only way to see if it works.

As they say, “shut up and lift!”

Just wondering if there is a specific reason you use dumbbells for decline and flat bench press but a barbell for incline?

Also wondering how long you have been lifting for and what it’s like using such huge volume? For instance for chest you are using a lot of different exercises. Just wondering because after doing heavy dips first, follow by incline db bench press and then db flies my chest feels like it has been ripped to shreds and there is no way I would want to continue. Would you say it is because you have been lifting long enough that you need that much extra stimulation or are you making sure you stop well short of failure on every set?

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Just wondering if there is a specific reason you use dumbbells for decline and flat bench press but a barbell for incline?

Also wondering how long you have been lifting for and what it’s like using such huge volume? For instance for chest you are using a lot of different exercises. Just wondering because after doing heavy dips first, follow by incline db bench press and then db flies my chest feels like it has been ripped to shreds and there is no way I would want to continue. Would you say it is because you have been lifting long enough that you need that much extra stimulation or are you making sure you stop well short of failure on every set?[/quote]

You were right though, the volume was a bit much.
I’ve taken out Decline Bench a while ago because I usually can’t handle it anymore so i just do flat and incline. I just copy/pasted it from my old workout plan, I’m doing the exact one as posted minus the decline bench. I do incline on a barbell because dumbbell incline tends to irritate my shoulder I hurt a while back.
I’ve been working out for about 2 years now.
I always try to really push myself, it’s just because chest is a weak point for me I try to do a few more exercises to push myself in that area.

I’m progressively making good gains, I suppose I’m just irritated some areas aren’t growing as fast as others,(ie. my back and arms)

[quote]Davy420 wrote:
DanErickson wrote:

Also wondering how long you have been lifting for and what it’s like using such huge volume? For instance for chest you are using a lot of different exercises. Just wondering because after doing heavy dips first, follow by incline db bench press and then db flies my chest feels like it has been ripped to shreds and there is no way I would want to continue. Would you say it is because you have been lifting long enough that you need that much extra stimulation or are you making sure you stop well short of failure on every set?

You were right though, the volume was a bit much.
I’ve taken out Decline Bench a while ago because I usually can’t handle it anymore so i just do flat and incline. I just copy/pasted it from my old workout plan, I’m doing the exact one as posted minus the decline bench. I do incline on a barbell because dumbbell incline tends to irritate my shoulder I hurt a while back.
I’ve been working out for about 2 years now.
I always try to really push myself, it’s just because chest is a weak point for me I try to do a few more exercises to push myself in that area.

I’m progressively making good gains, I suppose I’m just irritated some areas aren’t growing as fast as others,(ie. my back and arms)
[/quote]

Ah ok, thanks for explaining why you use the barbell instead of dumbbells. I am having a bit of a hard time with my back area as well. For me my issue with my back is coordination. The only thing that has worked for me is to keep practicing and I keep getting better at it all the time.
Good luck man!

Training twice a day has worked great for me and i really like it.
It has many advantages, like increasing total volume while decreasing each session’s duration-thus being more focused on each excercise and set-and increasing G-FLUX(i recommend you read Berardi’s most recent article).
My program now goes something like this.

Day 1
5 sets of deadlifts
6 sets of pullups
4 sets of db pullovers
Day 2
Session A(AM)
5 sets of db bench press
5 sets of close grip bench press
5 sets of lateral raises
Session B(PM)
5 sets of incline db press
5 sets of shoulder press
5 sets of skullcrushers
Day 3
Session A(AM)
6 sets of front squats
5 sets of db lunges
Session B(PM)
6 sets of romanian deadlifts
calf work
Day 4
Session A(AM)
6 sets of bb rows
supersetted with db lateral raises
4 sets of 1arm db rows
7-8 sets for biceps
Session B(PM)
6 sets of pullups
5 sets of bent over lat raises
Day 5
1 hour cardio session(4km/h walking on a fully inclined tradmill)
Day 6
1 hour cardio session(4km/h walking on a fully inclined tradmill)
And the training cycle continues (it is a 4day-on 2day-of program)

I’m currently on a fat loss phase since mid june, having lost about 44lb during these last 4.5 months while maintaining my previous strength levels for the most part and i currently just aim at losing a few more pounds, albeit at a slowe pace.
Current weight-232lb
Height@6ft1

Try Poliquin’s super accumulation program

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Try Poliquin’s super accumulation program[/quote]

why?

Just a good way to structure two a days, and also good that it emphasises taking 5 days off after 2 weeks