Twice a Day and Growth Plates

My new passion in life is lifting. Whenever I am bored I’ll go to the gym and have an intense deadlift session. REcently, I have heard some people speak of how lifting can fuck up your growth plates. I am about 5’8 and I would love to grow some. If I am training as often as I am, am I jeapordizing my chances to get taller?(I am 18)

Heavy lifting will not affect your growing. Your growth plates will not be crushed by the increase in muscle mass. Lift heavy and eat hearty.

It’s worth pointing out though that you might not grow anymore simply because you’re finished with your growth spurt, though. I finished growing at 16 (currently 22).

My understanding is that lifting too heavy with poor form can indeed lead to damaged plates.

Just lift properly. You’ll be fine.

will not stunt your growth

[quote]Otep wrote:
Heavy lifting will not affect your growing. Your growth plates will not be crushed by the increase in muscle mass. Lift heavy and eat hearty.

It’s worth pointing out though that you might not grow anymore simply because you’re finished with your growth spurt, though. I finished growing at 16 (currently 22).[/quote]

I always thought you were older for some reaason. But nonetheless, you are probably right. It’s just that I see so many big guys in the gym and alot of them are smaller and older than me. But I continue to lift. TOnight was bad though. It was a leg day and I couldn’t lift as Intense because I kept thinking, “I wont grow if I do this.”

[quote]Dissonance wrote:
My understanding is that lifting too heavy with poor form can indeed lead to damaged plates.

Just lift properly. You’ll be fine.[/quote]

This is really important to me. I hate to contradict what everyone on this site says but I think Cable Squats are the best leg excercise out there. It’s easier to go to failure,and they are a direct leg excercise.

[quote]N. Robinson wrote:
will not stunt your growth[/quote]

Well I am glad to here that. Now I can lift with more determination

I have yet to have someone pull out evidence that this occurs, it’s always “THEY say…” as if “they” apparently never have anything to say but something that will make you want to stop pursuing your goals

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
I have yet to have someone pull out evidence that this occurs, it’s always “THEY say…” as if “they” apparently never have anything to say but something that will make you want to stop pursuing your goals[/quote]

Besides every single source on the internet and my college research database… what else do you need to accept the fact that improper lifting can, although rarely, damage your growth plates stunting growth? There are documented cases of this happening.

Not really sure why this is so tough to believe.

This shouldn’t sway people from lifting. Just lift properly, and you have nothing to worry about.

[quote]Otep wrote:

It’s worth pointing out though that you might not grow anymore simply because you’re finished with your growth spurt, though. I finished growing at 16 (currently 22).[/quote]

Hey I grew an inch in the past couple years (I’m 23), so who knows, you might not be done yet. I went to the doc last week and they measured my height at 6’2 even. Last time I had it measured a couple years ago I was not even at 6’1.

[quote]Dissonance wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
I have yet to have someone pull out evidence that this occurs, it’s always “THEY say…” as if “they” apparently never have anything to say but something that will make you want to stop pursuing your goals

Besides every single source on the internet and my college research database… what else do you need to accept the fact that improper lifting can, although rarely, damage your growth plates stunting growth? There are documented cases of this happening.

Not really sure why this is so tough to believe.

This shouldn’t sway people from lifting. Just lift properly, and you have nothing to worry about.
[/quote]

i’m not talking about improper lifting, that’s obvious. that’s like saying improperly handling a knife can harm you.

No one knows if weight training stuns your growth or not, why? Because it’s impossible to test.

I personally grew from 5’6" to 5’8" going from 18 years old to 19 years old, this was over a span of 6 months where I didn’t lift weights due to shoulder injuries.

Also, if you hope to grow in height while weight lifting you will need to eat A LOT, because your body will need nutrients to build bigger bones, as well as muscle.

If i had say anything, I would say that weight training wouldn’t help you grow any taller, just due to you having to eat more calories.

[quote]Stength4life wrote:
N. Robinson wrote:
will not stunt your growth

Well I am glad to here that. Now I can lift with more determination
[/quote]

You’re going to listen to that even though there is no proof ANYWHERE that it doesn’t stunt your growth?

People ask this question so many times hoping for a definite answer that DOESNT EXIST.

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/926048658.html
The only way you’re going to cause growth plate damage while lifting is to either drop the weight and hit yourself, or overuse the joints. Lifting with proper form using a good routine should prevent both of these. So if you are lifting properly, you won’t stunt your growth via growth plate damage. As Goodfellow pointed out, there may be other mechanisms the could cause decreased growth.