Twenty by 40 by 2020 - Journey Back to Where I Was 20 Years Ago

Increase weight that is. Lower reps, more weight.

Also - Turning 40 on Thursday. Do not think Iā€™m back to where I was 20 years ago. This quarantine did not help. I got work in, but the strength work, which was where I definitely was better off than 20 years ago - just didnā€™t happen. I know itā€™s an excuse. Should have done more running, etc.

But here we are. Will do some tests of myself this weekend and see how I do.

7/28: 14x80m Hill Sprints

Then 60 reps curls

7/29:

Warm-ups. 70 reps each: Curls, Lateral Raises, Lunges
Workout: Snatch, Pull-ups, Heavy Swings - Didnā€™t track reps except swings did 50

1 Like

7/30-31: OFF

8/1: Curls, Push-ups, Air Squats, etc
8/2: Throws and sprints - Went well. Only third or fourth session since COVID - and best and most consistent on both Shot Put and Discus

1 Like

8/3

1. Warmup: 75 reps each: DB curls (22.5#) Lateral Raises (15#) Hollow Hold DB pullovers (15# DBs) BW lunges (75 total not each leg)
  2. Bent single arm dead stop row 75 (38 reps each arm) 55#
  3. Single arm DB snatch - 75 (38 reps each arm) 52.5#

Good session. Snatch was a good metcon

1 Like

8/4

Complex

1. Pull-ups - Accumulated 30 reps
  2. KB Swings (100#) - Accumulated 60 reps
  3. Farmers Walk (100# and 55#) - Accumulated 120 yards
1 Like

100# in one hand and 55# in the other. Alternate hands

8/5

1. Walk/jog 1 mile
  2. Sprint Drills (skips, acceleration, hops, high knees, butt kicks, etc)
  3. Plyometrics: Total of 20 single leg contacts and 16 double legged jumps
  4. 5x20 yard runs
  5. Walk 1 mile

Plyos, a lot of people would watch me and think that isnā€™t much, but that is actually on verge of a high volume plyo workout - if the double leg werenā€™t static jumps, it would be too many contacts.

The 20 yard runs, I timed (first time timing runs in a LONG time) using stop watch from first foot strike and ending at 20 yards. While not as precise as a touchpad and a laser finish, itā€™s about as consistent as you can get without an electronic system. My fastest 2 runs were 2.91 and 2.90 seconds. Which, if you used touchpad, youā€™d add .10 to, so these would convert to around 5.0 for a 40 yard dash, which is depressing - but at same time, for first timed runs is semi-encouraging. These were also in regular running shoes on kids playground turf (read SUPER soft).

What I like about timing runs, especially once I move and have electronic timing out of storage, is that you can program sprints the same way you do lifts, on both volume and intensity - and track progress with even more precision. IE - while you can grind out a slow 500# deadlift that is 95% of your 1RM, you canā€™t grind out a 95% sprint effort. You cab either run that fast or you canā€™t on a given day.

2 Likes

Or you can pull a muscle.

1 Like

8/6

1. Warm-up: 75 each of Triceps Ext (30# DB); Lateral Raises (15# DBs); Air Squats (Bw)
  2. 75 Push-ups: 10-9-8-7-6-5-5-5-5-5-5-5
  3. OHP: 75 reps with 30# DBs - Sets of 30-25-20
  4. Goblet Squats: 75 reps with 55# KB - Sets of 30-25-20
  5. Skater Squats: 75 reps total with BW - Sets of 20-20-20-16
1 Like

8-7 - chill

8/8

1. 1 mile jog/walk/run/sprint drill warm up
  2. Some sprints over 10-30m
  3. Shot put and Discus probably 30-40 throws total
  4. 6x20m hard
  5. 2x110m at 75%

Running was much faster. 20m at same pace as 20 yards earlier. Times in a minute. But was on track today vs soft turf.

Throws were again better. Same level of consistency as last week (and same distance mostly) - but 2 outliers in throws. One at 41ā€™ shot put and one at 120ā€™ discus.

Remembered a couple throwing cues that should help next week.

Did a couple curls too.

Golf tomorrow.

1 Like

So I did 20 yards in 2.69 today on track surface. 30m (33 yards) in 4.1. Much faster than I thought I was.

1 Like

8/9 - Golf - Shot a 94 - but man I hit some beautiful shots. A few drives well over 300 yards, including one that was over 330, on soft fairways. Best shot though was a 250 yard approach shot on a par 5 18th. Hit a hybrid - big high draw to about 10ā€™ for an eagle putt. Made a 3 putt par lol. But the 250 yards to 10ā€™ drawing it up and around a big tree was as good a shot as Iā€™ve ever hit, and I bet as good a shot as any of the pros playing yesterday would hit 9 tries out of 10.

8/10

80 reps:

1. Curls: 30# DBs
  2. Lateral Raises: 15# DBs
  3. Lunges: Bodyweight

Was supposed to do swings, pull-ups, etc - but my back is sore from golf, so going to take it easy

1 Like

8/11

8 rounds:

1. 4 Pull-ups
  2. 8 Heavy KB Swings (100#)

Plan was yesterday and today both yesterday, and doing rows and DB snatches as well. Not feeling it. But still got through 2 days in a row.

8/12

15x75m Hill Runs (measured a bit more precisely today) - not 80m. Timed the runs as well. All between 11.3 and 13.0 except last one at 10.59. Ran Up, Walked Back. So about 1ā€™ recovery between each run. A couple interesting observations.

1. Took about 4 runs gradually pushing harder to be what Iā€™d call ā€œfully warmed upā€. Not warmed up to run an all out sprint race, but warmed up enough to do some real training runs.
  2. 13.0 is around RPE 65% and super easy, 12.3 is around RPE 75% and pretty easy. 11.6 is around RPE 90% and pretty tough. 10.6 was brutal and as hard as I could go.
  3. On a 75m run, 10.6 is equal to about 13.2 or so for 100m - up a gentle hill - so maybe 12.5 on a flat surface. which means the best sprinters would be beating me by 25 yards from one end of the football field to the other - and Iā€™m not that slow.
  4. I love measuring things. Iā€™ll have this and my short sprints down by 10% by 10/1 is my guess - which would put me back in pretty decent shape. Iā€™ll have to both lose 5-7# and pick up 5%+ strength to do that.

Will do some basic bodyweight stuff later.

1 Like

8/13

1. Warm-up: 80 reps each: triceps, air squats, lateral raises, pull-overs
  2. 80 reps each: Push-ups, Skater Squats, OHP, Goblet Squats

On both warm-ups and regular, did a mix of straight sets and super sets. Push-ups are still a struggle, as is any pressing and any upper body body weight move, but are getting a shade better.

8/15 -

Running warmup - Didnā€™t run hard at all - but got 20m (22 yards) down to 2.93 - which is pretty similar to last week and didnā€™t even fully push it or warm up.

Shot Put (about 20 throws)
Discus (about 10 throws)

Shot and Disc a shade better than last week - even though feeling kind of meh today. So thatā€™s good. Had a couple almost line up. I think only throwers would understand - as itā€™s different than a golf swing or perfect tech lift due to the medium weight of the implement.

I will say that throwing a 5# weight plate 125 feet (length of a basketball court plus another 30ā€™) is a long way and a 16# medball halfway down a court is a long way too. For those of you who are strong, itā€™s a good test.

1 Like

8/17

85 reps each

1. Warmup - triceps ext (15# DBs) lateral raise (15# DB) Body weight squats
  2. Pushups
  3. 55# goblet squats
  4. OHP (30# DBs)

Everything done as chipper. Finish one before moving to next.

My 10 year old has been starting to exercise because he is chubby (he lives w my ex in FL) and I told him if he sticks with it he could look like one of those buff football players.

His response: oh I donā€™t want to be chiseled and muscly like that, or see my veins or abs or anything. Looking like you would be fine.

Me: hmmmā€¦ about going on gearā€¦ might be time lol.

1 Like