Twenty by 40 by 2020 - Journey Back to Where I Was 20 Years Ago

1/29

Another quick midday workout.

1. No warmup
  2. Power Snatch triples as warmup to 165
  3. Power Clean 5-3-1 - 185 (5) 205 (3) 225 (6 in 1’)

Pretty solid for a quick workout. In and out w shower in 30 mins or so. Sore this morning.

1 Like

1/30

Slept forever last night and didn’t feel like a real workout so just did extended sets of curls, triceps extensions and lateral raises. Nothing of significance but at least moved a little bit.

1 Like

1/31

Short work day so did an afternoon workout:

5-3-1

1. Pendlay Row (4 warmup sets) then: 160(5) 180(3) 200(5) easy.
  2. Bench press (2 warmup sets) then: 160(5) 180(3) 200(1)

Shoulder feeling shifty so didn’t push hard. 200 flew up.

Then did PT full body checkin and tune up and have a lot to work on!

1 Like

Details?

Some surprising hip mobility issues, caused largely by super tight psoas - very weak adductors - and a neglected core. A lot of stuff I can put into a daily AM routine. Shoulders not as bad as I thought. Just needed some hard work on the tissues and some flossing. He wants me to do a 12 week cycle of light tempo (4 up 4 down) squats - 3x per week for pretty high reps - starting very light and adding a little bit per week. And still do everything else besides squat as usual.

1 Like

2/1 - Just did a blood pumping workout. About 30 minutes of work 6-7’ each:

1. Plate Raises (Over head) 25#
  2. Barbell Curls - 45#
  3. Walking Lunges - BW
  4. Hollow Rocks

I didn’t count reps carefully, but guessing about 120-140 depending on exercise.

1 Like

So did a religious calorie count today - and will likely have another drink in a bit - currently sitting at around 2600 calories at 195g of protein. Fat and carbs from sushi, croutons, a little pita/hummus, salad dressing, milk, protein shake with fruit.

So figure one more heavy IPA and I’m at 2900.

Theoretically at 220 and active, that should be below maintenance, and I’m full - won’t have anything more to eat tonight. Will be interesting to see where this tracking goes. I know writing it down makes me immediately more aware. If I run a 400 calorie a day deficit, that should make a difference within a month I’d think.

1 Like

I’m cutting on 3000 calories but if I can come in under that then I’ll do it. I’m kind of drifting towards and more extreme cut because I want instant results. I’m pretty sure I’m about 1000 calories under budget right now and I just had dinner.

1 Like

I’m sure calorie composition plays a role as well. I figure mine is around 3100 (guess based on today’s careful tracking compared to normal days). That makes me wonder:

1- if my number is actually more like 3300 bc that’s about what I am and am not gaining or losing weight or fat
2- if my number is even higher but bc I don’t eat/drink the best, that affects things
3- if I just got up and walked an extra mile or two during the day, if that could juice my base rate up even more. Would be awesome to have another shake or piece of meat every day.

2/2 off.

2/3

15 rounds - 10 pushups - 20 KB swings w 55#

2400 calories yesterday. Today might be a bust but we will see. Good first half of day.

1 Like

The base metabolic rate calculators are guesses. I’ve tracked my food enough to know my numbers.

Food content is a factor. Poor carb choices seem to increase my belly fat.more than I anticipated. Alcohol will really mess with your body’s ability to process things.

It’s probably an exact science but we’re incapable of mastering it.

1 Like

I’m going to get in habit of tracking everything - see where calories are at and how I look/feel. Then will start looking at macros next and specifics of what I’m eating. Should have a sense of things in a month or so. Have never done this at all before. Diet has always been generally being aware of what I’m having but never tracking anything with precision.

1 Like

I’m not precise other than with total calories. I’ve never worried about macros other than protein. I use MyFitnessPal as my tracking app. I set my weight goal and the rate at which I want to gain/lose and then adjust the percentages to match my protein goal. I generally just lower the carbs. Right now I’m at 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat and I really don’t care if I hit that. It’s just a guide.

I know that I need 40-60g of carbs and protein sometime before or after my workout. Everything else is just an attempt to eat a balanced meal.

By the way, I’m pretty much talking out of my ass right now. Today I’ve had two protein shakes that consisted of 8 oz of almond milk and two scoops of protein (one at 0630 & one at 1100), a banana and 1.5 ounces of almonds (around 1300), and I just ate a minute steak that was probably 6 ounces as my post workout meal (1415).

1 Like

That is at least a good start for me. And just entering it right when I have it - the MyFitnessPal app seems pretty good. Obviously is limited in terms of how it tracks exercise, but the calorie counter seems to work well. Yesterday came in at 2970, and I think I captured everything. Didn’t have much first half of the day, and then gametime went pretty hard!

1 Like

Yeah, I ate 2/3 of a day of calories at dinner. I stopped using the activity part of My Fitness Pal. I would eat according to my calories burned so some days I’d eat 3800 calories but then on rest days I’d only be allowed to eat 3000 calories and I’d go hungry. I didn’t like it so I decided to just eat the same amount of calories every day. I don’t even enter my activity.

I track my activity with my Fitbit and it’s quite useful when I need to adjust my weight. I hadn’t really paid attention to it but I was able to look at my average caloric expenditure for the past year and figure out where to set my calories to cut. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the recommendation by My Fitness Pal matched what I thought I needed to start losing a pound a week (3000 cals).

1 Like

2/5

Took 2/4 off, just didn’t get a chance and had work meetings up until 8:30 PM.

2/5 - felt like I needed a different stimulus, so just did

1. 2 step pause squats - sets of 5 from the bar up to 245 - working full ROM. Total of 40 reps. Each rep is down all the way-pause-up half way-back down all the way-pause-up all the way. All the way in the hole is more like 2-3" up - basically as low as I can go and keep full tension.
  2. In between sets - pull-ups. Did a total of 20 - 6-5-5-4
  3. Farmers Carry - 100 yards each with 60’s, 70’s, 80’s.
2 Likes

2/6 - off. Travel day from NYC to Houston and back same day. 5 AM wake up.

2/7

1. Warm-up - walk, jog, mobility, light weight movement
  2. Bench Press 3x5 155(5) 175 (5) 185 (14 - 5, 4, 3, 2 - with short pauses)
  3. Box Jumps to 30" box - 3x5
  4. Power Clean 3x5 - 175 (5) 195 (5) 215 (5)
  5. Pull-ups: 21 (6-5-5-3-2)

My gym has no 2.5# plates, which is annoying, so jumps were more than planned in bottom sets on bench and on all sets on clean. So didn’t push reps on clean. Bench felt pretty good. Was actually my first time benching on a normal bench (not smith press) in maybe 2 years? Not massive strength, but not horrible. Cleans felt pretty easy. Pull-ups were tough today.

When I was working out at a gym that didnt have 2.5’s, and microloading specifically on my overhead press, I bought myself a couple of 2.5’s, they’re super cheap. If you want to get really down to the gnat’s ass with microloading, 20 oz baseball bat weights fit onto an olympic bar just fine as well, so there’s your 1.25’s.

1 Like