Tweaking My Training

Hi. I competed in powerlifting but had to take a break for a while. I had been getting treated for hypothyroidism and my doctor said to take some time off. I did, but now I’ve been back lifting for about 1 year now. I’ve been running the 531 2x a week program. I still have to be careful not to run myself into the ground…My main goal right now is aesthetics/hypertrophy.

I still wish to have 2 main workouts per week, but I wanted to add 1-2 days where I could throw in some bodybuilder accessory days.

I was thinking something like

Day 1
Just the Squat/Bench

Day 2
Just the Deadlift/Press

Day 3
Bodybuilder day with dumbbells/bw/machines
maybe something like

Superset 3x8-12
DB Row
DB Bench

Superset 3x8-12
Lat Pulldown
DB Press

Superset 3x8-12
Leg Press
Back Raise

Curls

I need something that won’t tax my body too much. I have a home gym with a rack and barbell…but I just got a membership to planet fitness. I missed the gym atmosphere and wanted to join. So I’ll do my main barbell lifts at home then go to planet fitness for the additional days.

They don’t have barbells which is fine…but they really have everything else…I was wondering how you would setup these additional days.

Really no need to superset everything, but some people swear by it. Supersets always impacted my weights and reps too much to justify, plus you’ll find them difficult to pull off in a public gym for lack of equipment access; do what you will with this information.

Anyways, you’ve got vertical push/pull, horizontal push/pull, hinge work and curls… all good add-ins.
I’d add:

• Flyes/Reverse Flyes (machine, DB, cables, whatever gets your goat)
  • Overhead Triceps movement/Triceps Pushdown (any type)
  • Calf work
  • Trap work
  • Direct forearm work (only if needed, this seems to be a genetics thing)

If I were to get picky (which I am), I’d replace:

• leg press with quad extension
  • back raises with hamstring curls

Isolation movements always put more size on me than compounds, so that’s why I make the recommendations I do.

How you split these days up are up to you - but I think you may find it a tad easier/more manageable to split 5/3/1 into 3 or 4 days and organize assistance work to double-tap the muscles worked for that day in 531.

I’ve previously split these up a la DoggCrapp training accordingly (ignore the non-standard 531 exercises):

or

What I’m getting at is it doesn’t really matter how you split them up, as long as it works for you. FWIW, you would probably do well to make a training log to help keep yourself accountable and get real-time feedback, if that kind of thing sounds appealing to you.

1 Like

nice thanks for that…I’m not stuck on using supersets so that’s fine.

I was actually thinking about the leg extension/ham curl combo as well as replacements…

What do you think about the setup other than that? Having the two barbell days and then having a full body bodybuilder day?

You can, I’ve seen and used plenty of programs which use both. I just find that heavy compound lifts are super taxing at heavier weights; combine that with powerlifts like squats and deads in the SAME week? RIP.
^At least for me. Wasn’t a problem until I started squatting like 400lbs or pulling 5 plates (not-humble brag).

Sure, it’s fine. If your goals are truly to be aesthetic, there’s a decent argument to not bother with powerlifts, but I always did powerbuilding-esque training for physique/ego and I got lots of gains in both physique and ego. I think powerlifts are really important for newbies as all other movements will use these as a base, but once you get pretty far in either direction (powerlifter or bodybuilder) - you’ll likely find yourself needing to pick a one.

Sorry, back on point… I’d put less or equal emphasis on PL days as BB days if your goals truly are aesthetics, so using your approach - 2 days powerlifting and at least 2 days hypertrophy.

Don’t neglect your negatives. All science and bro science combined points to 2-3 second negatives being the primary driver for muscle growth. You need enough weight to stimulate muscle fibers, just combine that with accentuated mechanical tension (negatives/eccentrics).

Oh, and if you’re fat - now is not the time for a bulk. If you can count all 6 abs, regardless of lighting conditions, then you know what you’re doing. Diet is vastly under-appreciated by far too many beginners (not calling you a newb), so if you need to tune up here - now is the time.

no not fat. I’m only 5’6 143lbs or so…This was in may but have roughly the same physique now.

Back when I competed in powerlifting I had a 436 squat, 286 paused bench, 507 deadlift at around 150lbs

2 Likes

Even better!

Looks like you know how to eat like an adult, so keep at it. Solid PL numbers too, well done.

I’ll plug the #training-logs recommendation another time because I think you’ve got good potential and would enjoy watching it come to fruition.

hi again. I was actually thinking of adapting something like the PHUL routine. Again my goal is mostly aesthetics

Just wondering how I should sort the first strength upper and lower days…maybe the 2nd lift should be lighter, higher rep? Then I could flip flop them the next week? So it would be

Full Body Strength
531 Squats
531 Bench Presses
3x5-8 Bent-Over Rows
3x5-8 Overhead Barbell Presses
3x5-8 Stiff-Legged Deadlifts

Hypertrophy Upper
Incline DB Press
Flat DB Fly
Seated Cable Row
One Arm Row
DB Lateral Raise