Tweaking My Diet for More Mass

Currently I’m trying to gain as much mass as possible.

I’ve gone from 145lbs to 158lbs in 3 weeks so far, with very little fat gain.

Right now I am trying to find a way to get in some more calories to my diet, and I feel I could be doing better with supplements.

My money isn’t limitless, so I’m kinda stuck to two meals with meat in them.

My diet for my first two weeks:
Meal 1:
1.5 cup egg whites/2 servings oatmeal/1 cup berries.

Meal 2:
“Mass shake” - 2 scoops protein, 2 cups milk, 1 yogurt, 1 banana, 1 tbsp peanut or almond butter, handful of berries.

Meal 3:
8oz chicken, 1 cup rice

Meal 4:
“Mass shake” - 2 scoops protein, 2 cups milk, 1 yogurt, 1 banana, 1 tbsp peanut or almond butter, handful of berries.

Meal 5:
8oz steak, 2 eggs, veggies.

totalled at around 3150 calories.

I then changed up the diet, to get more calories and eliminate the milk intake. I have found that milk gives me the shits, and I’m not sure about oatmeal either.

Diet for week 3
Meal 1:
6 eggs, scrambled.
2 yogurt.

Meal 2:
2 scoops protein powder, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 apple.

Meal 3:
12oz chicken, 1 cup rice

Meal 4:

Meal 5:
12 oz red meat/fish, veggies.

Meal 6:
1 yogurt.

IN ADDITION: After meal 4 or 5, I start snacking on 3/4 of a cup of macadamia nuts (500ish calories)

totals at around 3700 calories.

SUPPLEMENTS -

I’m taking Alpha Male (as prescribed on bottle), a digestive aid and fish oil.

Post-workout I have an Optimum Nutrition Recovery shake.

I am trying to get to 4000 calories now. Or at least have a plan ready for a week or two so I can buy whats necassery.

Milk is not an option! It definitely gives me the shits. Sometimes I say ‘fuck it’ and have a pint of it (i like the taste)… 10 minutes later i’m running to the bathroom.

So where can I get another 300-400 clean calories from? Also, where should I put them into my current food layout?

I’m hesistant on adding extra virgin olive oil into my shakes, because it is disgusting, and it may be overkill with peanut butter already being in there.

Cheers

I just ran out of my whey protein, I suppose I could get something more along the lines of Metabolic Drive Complete with carbs in it.

Or I could just get another tub of regular whey, and add in oats/rice to the shakes.

Put some cream in your shakes. You could probably use some more saturated fat.

Add some cheese to your meals.

Make your portions a little bigger with your meals. If there is still food on the plate, use water to force it down. Maybe drink some juice.

Seriously, I know your smart enough to know where you can get another 300 calories from.

Take your olive oil in a shot glass with some juice or water. You generally can’t taste it. I don’t see how it would be overkill, especially if your not take any.

Never heard of anybody adding rice to a shake though…

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
So where can I get another 300-400 clean calories from? Also, where should I put them into my current food layout?[/quote]

On training days, have one “post-workout shake” during the workout as well. On non-training days, have some guacamole (one or two avocados, a splash of olive oil, garlic, other stuff) with any of your meals. Boom, about 400 extra calories per day.

Good advice Hardgainer…the cheeses and oil are good ideas.

a 1" x 1" x 1" square of some cheeses have over 100 calories.

a shot of olive oil (1.5oz) has about 350 calories.

Make a spreadsheet of your macros if you want and you’ll see what your lacking. I’ve lived by mine for 2yrs and it’s great. I jsut have to add fiber to it.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
So where can I get another 300-400 clean calories from? Also, where should I put them into my current food layout?

On training days, have one “post-workout shake” during the workout as well. On non-training days, have some guacamole (one or two avocados, a splash of olive oil, garlic, other stuff) with any of your meals. Boom, about 400 extra calories per day.[/quote]

Totally forgot about avacado’s. I picked up extra light olive oil also today to add to my shakes.

Thanks for the tips so far guys.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Totally forgot about avacado’s. I picked up extra light olive oil also today to add to my shakes.

Thanks for the tips so far guys.[/quote]

I don’t know much about the extra light olive oil, but I’m pretty sure if its not Exta Virgin Olive Oil its probably better not to take it. Something about how its processed. That being said it probably won’t harm you.

13 lbs in 3 weeks? just keep doing what you’re doing :shrug:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
13 lbs in 3 weeks? just keep doing what you’re doing :shrug:[/quote]

I believe these initial 15 pounds have just came on because I started eating a lot without giving my metabolism a chance to catch up.

It is very responsive. For example: It’s been snowing in the UK lately; I have got to the point where I am sleeping with no clothes on, covers off and window open, because I’m just sweating so much.

My hunger waking up is also increasing, to the point now where yesterday I ate 200g of macadamia nuts (1300ish calories) to control it, before I went down for breakfast.

Thats why I’m just getting a few meal plans wrote out so I can increase my overall intake easily.

I’m not very good at going into the kitchen and just knocking something up - I hate cooking, and have poor imagination when it comes to food.

I’m fairly sure if I gradually increased my calories up to 10,000 a day I would not gain weight any faster simply because my metabolism would go up so much.