Turning Your Brain Off

Funny, I just answered this question on my blog recently:

http://florin.myip.org/blog/node/25

Short answer: ride a sportbike.

Any intense exercise accompanied by real loud music will clear your brain of the pain.

My brain goes crazy too in a small town, bikes, heavy exertion and my favorite basketball usually doesn’t help because soon as I stop, then I’m thinking to much again. The best thing i can say is find a good book, meditation, and learn to accept your thoughts a little.

I think about a million things at once, trying to do what people say and “JUST FOCUS” is not going to work for me. But if write down something, or try to do the first thing I think, then I’ll slow down a bit.

[quote]etaco wrote:
Magic Mushrooms.

To call them a chemical vacation is no exaggeration. They’re safe, non-addictive, and you’re left with an inverse hangover the next day (you feel better than normal).[/quote]

Hmmm, what dose? While I agree that 'Shrooms have many benefits (including feeling better the next day), I dont know that I would say that they turn your mind off. What they do (at least for me) help me do is have some mental breakthroughs on things I have been thinking about.

1. Meditation

2. Some kind of rhythmic movement, i.e. Tai Qi.

3. The philosopher Wittgenstein “suffered” from overthinking and used to read detective novels. It is a type of light reading whose subject has a clear solution.

4. Chris Rock had a skit in which he claimed “getting some strange [pussy] will clear a man’s head better than anything else”. He was joking, but I actually I think he was right! Of course, if you’ve got a regular girlfriend/wife, then your mind is going to be working overtime to lie/conceal the affair from her, so, in that case, maybe not the best way to silence mind chatter.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
etaco wrote:
Magic Mushrooms.

To call them a chemical vacation is no exaggeration. They’re safe, non-addictive, and you’re left with an inverse hangover the next day (you feel better than normal).

Hmmm, what dose? While I agree that 'Shrooms have many benefits (including feeling better the next day), I dont know that I would say that they turn your mind off. What they do (at least for me) help me do is have some mental breakthroughs on things I have been thinking about.

[/quote]

Hallucinogens are probably not the best solution to escaping your thoughts. Anything you’ve been dwelling on is most likely going to come into your trip in a major way. If that is a route you want to try though, I’d suggest eating them and going for a long walk. There’s so much to see out in nature, especially during a trip, that it could possibly distract your mind for a little while.

Like others have said…you can’t turn off your thoughts. You can take your mind off things or you can change your thoughts.

Take your mind of things with some seriously hard gym sessions or sport. When you push yourself hard you’re too busy busting a gut to worry about anything else. I consider it a form of meditation in that you can really focus yourself on one thing at a time. On the moment. I get this when i play football or deadlift heavy for example. Nothing matters except winning for that 90 minutes or getting that bar up.

Change your thoughts in simple ways such as when something negative happens, just tell yourself “I can fucking handle this.” Or if you mind is getting you down talk to it. Tell it to bring it on. Tell it that it won’t get you down so it can go fuck itself. Whatever negative shit it throws at you just tell it you will handle it.

Hope this helps.

“Your gym time may be a “time to think about nothing,” which can itself be mentally healthful.”

From Shugs article

[quote]dennis3k wrote:
I’ve been overthinking everything lately and its really leading me to messing up because alot of things in my life as I’m just thinking negative things, and seeing everything as being my fault even when I know alot of it isn’t…what I want to know is, is there a way to stop thinking so much??
[/quote]

Dennis,

The trick is not forcing yourself to stop thinking, but to re-direct your thoughts. We literally spend hours a day self-hypnotizing ourselves with negative thoughts. Try being being aware of your thoughts for a few days, and note how many times you think negative thoughts. Then gently begin overriding that negative energy into positive thought processes.

Many people don’t realize the power of the brain and how it affects our bodies. You can tell yourself you’re depressed or unhappy and literally make yourself those things. Try replacing those thoughts with something positive. You truly do have the power to change the way you think, but it won’t be overnight.

You’ll have to experiment with key sentences that work for you. These can be said out loud or in your mind, but the trick is to say them each and every time a negative thought arises. Think of it as working out your brain just like you do your body.

Staying active, eating right, engaging in hobbies, and even meditation are all positive steps in balancing the body, mind and soul. If one aspect of your being is missing, you’ll find yourself completely out of balance.

You truly can change your entire life by adjusting your attitude and telling your mind you won’t let it drag you down. It’s that simple, no matter where you live or work.

Micki

I think that Rollins song fits nicely in this thread :slight_smile:

Rollins Band - Disconnect

Sex, is probably the best, but not always available. So, a good workout, followed by a little smoke, and a big meal.

This may sound corny but it’s true and relates to your question. Years ago when I was younger and in the military I read a story about a Navy pilot shot down over North Vietnam in the very early stages of the war.

He was the longest held POW and endured something like ten or twelve years in captivity. In the story he related his mental strategy for survival and what it took for him to keep going all those years.

I have always remembered that story especially at times I have felt sorry for myself. The one thing it brings to bear for me at those times is this thought, if that man could stay positive and have hope in those conditions what the hell do I have to feel sorry for myself in my comparative plush existence.

This has helped me to keep a positive mental attitude at times. When you start to think you have it bad remember you are lucky to have a job, your health, and the internet haha. Now go lift weights, fish, buy a gun learn how to use it and go hunting, hell you’re up in Canada do something challenging and creative.

Good luck,

D