Turning Your Brain Off

how do you shut your brain off (NO idiotic answers please)?
I’ve been overthinking everything lately and its really leading me to messing up because alot of things in my life as I’m just thinking negative things, and seeing everything as being my fault even when I know alot of it isn’t…what I want to know is, is there a way to stop thinking so much??

I’m thinking its because I’m currently stuck in a small ass town(3800 is the population)until August because of my job and I’m really starting to let it get to me
Anything anyone has to offer would be appreciated

I go mountain biking. It’s intense enough that you have to pay attention to exactly what you’re doing, which leaves little time to think about other things.

With my iPod on jamming to tunes while catching air on my bike, there’s very few other places I’d rather be.

Step 1: Buy a gun (if you don’t already have one… dumb Americans)

Step 2: Load gun, insert in mouth

Step 3: Pull trigger

He said no idiotic answers. And i can say that what you said was Not funny at all. Grow up. Anyways honestly i go sit in my car and listen to music and just drive around. Or as the other person stated, ride my bike through trails. Thats what makes me relax.

Magic Mushrooms.

To call them a chemical vacation is no exaggeration. They’re safe, non-addictive, and you’re left with an inverse hangover the next day (you feel better than normal).

[quote]etaco wrote:
Magic Mushrooms.

To call them a chemical vacation is no exaggeration. They’re safe, non-addictive, and you’re left with an inverse hangover the next day (you feel better than normal).[/quote]

Would you mind sharing more of your experiences?

[quote]dennis3k wrote:
how do you shut your brain off (NO idiotic answers please)?
I’ve been overthinking everything lately and its really leading me to messing up because alot of things in my life as I’m just thinking negative things, and seeing everything as being my fault even when I know alot of it isn’t…what I want to know is, is there a way to stop thinking so much??

I’m thinking its because I’m currently stuck in a small ass town(3800 is the population)until August because of my job and I’m really starting to let it get to me
[/quote]

Shit dude, maybe no one’s thought of this one, but go do some squats while listening to metal.

Aside from that, serious physical exertion of any kind will definitely help. Get moving, get some endorphins pumping and you will definitely feel better.

I watch boring TV comercials those long ones where they try to sell you stuff,knives for example.
They’re so boring I fasten asleep like a baby

Meditation.

[quote]dennis3k wrote:
what I want to know is, is there a way to stop thinking so much??

[/quote]

Instead of quitting thinking entirely, why not try to think about the things you can change, what you can do about them, and then go and do something about them.

[quote]ProRaven wrote:
I go mountain biking. It’s intense enough that you have to pay attention to exactly what you’re doing, which leaves little time to think about other things.

With my iPod on jamming to tunes while catching air on my bike, there’s very few other places I’d rather be.

[/quote]

yeah what I usually do but we still have snow here so the closes thing to mountain biking I’m gonna get is the stationary at the local gym.

If you want to turn your brain off, I would second some type of meditation. I don’t know your situation, but if you’re bored, stuck in a small town and wasting your time and energy worrying about it, I wouldn’t suggest “turning your brain off”. I would suggest staying as busy as possible.

[quote]ProfessorCHAOS96 wrote:
Step 1: Buy a gun (if you don’t already have one… dumb Americans)

Step 2: Load gun, insert in mouth

Step 3: Pull trigger[/quote]

And this is why I said “No idiotic answers”
why dont you make the world a better place and take your own advice champ

Beer.

Books.

Lots of exercise.

Hiking, kayaking.

You cannot turn off your mind and shut down your thoughts but you can redirect them.

I like sex, weight lifting, exercise, mountain bike riding, reading, friends, alcohol, herb, TV not particularly in that order, but any thing to escape to my world. Make the best of it. Good luck

Hijack:

This is fine for shutting off your brain with exercise. But what about shutting it off during an exercise?

What I mean by this is a situation like an Olympic lift or max-effort work, where if you think too much before starting the movement you brain-fart on the attempt and get a fast deadlift/bad descent/stapling/what have you.

I know the real answer is ‘get stronger and keep doing the movement’, but seriously, there are days when you’re already strong enough and then totally shit the bed. Thoughts?

Find some hobbies. Seriously.

[quote]edgecrusher wrote:
dennis3k wrote:

Instead of quitting thinking entirely, why not try to think about the things you can change, what you can do about them, and then go and do something about them.

[/quote]

BEst Post.

“HOw to stop worrying & Start Living” -Dale Carnegie

Keep your head up bud.

The brilliant thing about your outlook is that you realise there is a problem. Although it could be said that a few of these behaviours are indicitive of depression I would tend to say that you are exhibiting the symptoms of anxiety.

The important thing to remember is that the way you feel is influenced by a multitude of controllable factors,such as activity, diet, mental focus, and fatigue, than uncontrollable (or those with minimal controllable), weather, genetics, and occupation.

The practical ideas expressed previously, exercise, relaxation techniques, and refocusing activities will work well.

My hallucination is that you are feeling very enclosed and even suffering from sleeping difficulties. In this instance, meditation is perhaps the number one activity you can partake.

Concerning work, I would guess that you are more of a desk jockey than physical labourer. So I would investigate relaxation techniques at work such as meditation breaks, postural techniques ala Cressey and Robertson), problem solving skills training, and conflict management.

Another ally of yours is Stephen Covey’s work on the ‘Time Management Matrix’ which will help in time management and alleviate job and life stress.

Long Live The Body Science