Turning Obsession Into Progress

For me, personally, swings easier to understand after I had tried pull throughs, arms contacted hips/thigh the wholetime so basically no choice but to drive woth hips

That does seem like a good solution! I tried helping her in a bunch of different ways, but the swings just werenā€™t coming along. Iā€™ll do some of those with her as well as practice swings for the next few weeks so she can get them down. Weā€™re a bit sore from the last workout so Iā€™ll hold off until tomorrow. I will probably leave them in the circuit for conditioning purposes for now, but I donā€™t think itā€™ll take much time before she nails the movement.

Thanks for the help!

July/6/2019

Wake up: 6:30am (still a bit sore, but way less than yesterday. Excited to lift)

Song of the Day: Sicko Mode (Travis Scott) Iā€™m still very into this song for some reason

Workout: 8-8:45am
Circuit A: 3 rounds

• DB Lateral Raise - 3x10@20 (good weight, stopped at 10 to avoid extra muscle stress)
  • DB Curls - 3x12@20 (very easy, will probably do 15 reps next time)
  • DB Tricep Extension - 3x10@20 (solid weight without hurting triceps, will keep)
    Circuit B: 3 rounds
  • DB Row - 3x12@70 (starting to love DB rows, will keep weight since itā€™s moving well)
  • Rear Delt Fly - 3x12@10 (weight felt perfect. It was light, but got tiring fast)
    Conditioning: 4 rounds
  • Row - 100m
  • Pushups - 10

I killed myself in conditioning. It was fun at first but I started to go as hard as I possibly could and it was taking a lot out of me. I had no wind at all haha

GF workout: still very sore from previous work
Circuit A: 3 rounds

• Lateral Raise - 3x10@5lb (weight felt good but got heavy quick, very sore shoulders)
  • DB Curls - 3x10@5lb (these were pretty easy, no trouble here)
  • Tricep Extension - 3x10@5lb (these got pretty rough, and I think she started to have trouble, but she powered through)
    Circuit B: 3 rounds
  • DB Row - 3x10@10 (good form, probably light weight)
  • Reverse Fly - 3x10@5 (had trouble leaning forward from sore legs, but overall made a good lift)
    Conditioning: 4 rounds
  • Row - 100m
  • Knee Pushup - 5

I shouldā€™ve emphasized that she needs to go as hard as possible, but itā€™s alright. We completed these rounds by alternating back and forth with about a minute between rounds. It worked well.

This workout feels right for her, and ive been modifying it as we go, but overall the structure will be pointing her toward her goals.

Excited to squat tomorrow. I rode dirtbikes today so idk if Iā€™ll be too sore and underperform. Weā€™ll see!

June/7/2019

Wake up: 6:30am (felt good, wanted to workout. A bit groggy from staying up late to watch UFC 239)

Song of the day: King of Wishful Thinking (Go West)

Workout: 9-9:45am

• Farmerā€™s Walk - 5x50yds@150lb (Used DB instead of Hex bar. The weight felt light in every way except grip on the final sets. I think itā€™s because I was riding dirtbikes yesterday, and I tend to squeeze the crap out of the handlebars.)
  • Squat - 3RM@245 (Idk if I couldā€™ve done more with proper rest, but I like to stop while Iā€™m ahead. I felt my form staying tight, so I didnā€™t want to perform a maximal lift without a firm base. I have a history of back issues, so I find that the benefits of squats are optimized for me when I donā€™t push my limits. I canā€™t lift if I get hurt haha)
  • Bicycle Crunches - 2x30s (still pretty sore from yesterday, decided to ease up on these)

GF workout:

• Farmerā€™s walk - 5x50yds@50lb (these went well. I think her grip was falling apart on the last two sets as well. Might reduce distance and add weight as time goes on)
  • Bicycle Crunches - 1x15s (she wasnā€™t feeling well, so I made an executive decision to cut the workout short for her and let her get a bit more rest since tomorrowā€™s workout will be tough.)

I really enjoyed this workout, and I can already see how this might become one of my favorite days of the week. Iā€™m excited to do some bb complexes tomorrow!

June/8/2019

Wake Up: 5am (felt pretty tired, and didnā€™t feel very motivated, but knew I needed to workout. Didnā€™t want to wake gf up because of her having trouble falling asleep last night, but I asked her if she wanted to workout and she said yes. Very proud of her.)

Song of the Day: Burning (Maggie Rogers)

Workout: 5:50-6:30am

• KB Circuit: 3 rounds @ 35lb (5 reps each, all single arm, and alternated arms before progressing through exercises: right arm deads, left arm deads, right arm cleans, left arm cleans, etc.)
    A. Single Arm Deadlift
    B. Cleans
    C. Press
    D. Front Sqaut
    E. Bent Rows
    (I started with a BB complex, but my mobility drastically ruined my form. Same for GF. We will be attempting to do this circuit with KBs. For this particular circuit, Iā€™m willing to let my gf attempt it with less than ideal form in order to learn the movements and also because the weight will be light enough to prevent injury. 50lb KB killed me at the front squat section, probably because of back weakness, but idk. 35 feels good)
  • Side Bends - 3x10 each side (the battle ropes were taken, so I was depressed, but alas we did some exercises that will help her genu valgum)

GF workout:

• BB Complex: 3 Rounds @20lb
    A. Deadlift
    B. Cleans
    C. Press
    D. Front Squat
    E. Rows
    (her form wasnā€™t the best, but the weight was relatively light, so she shouldnā€™t get hurt. I will be moving to KB because of the added stability benefits which she will need. Also, the KB cleans arenā€™t nearly as limited by mobility as BB cleans.)
  • Side Bends - 2x10 (she had one leg over for assistance, but she seemed to keep her form good. Might also add some side leg lifts as some additional PT)

Still loving this workout, especially because of variability. I feel like the volume/frequency/intensity is plenty to keep me feeling fresh each day while still allowing for hard workouts. Excellent combo. Now thatā€™s podracing

June/9/2019

Wake Up: 5am (felt pretty awake, ready to workout. Shoulders a bit sore, but not too concerned)

Song of the Day: Donā€™t Ask, Donā€™t Tell (Chelsea Grin)

Workout: 6-6:30am

• Bench Press - 5RM@225, 3RM@245 (These were both PR lifts for me. My bench has finally matched my squat, and hopefully my squat will soon leave my bench in the dust. These lifts felt good, and I think I couldā€™ve gotten 1-2 more reps with 225, but I like to quit while Iā€™m ahead when it comes to heavy lifts.)

The gf didnā€™t workout with me today because I wanted her to rest, but she spotted me on bench, which is basically saying she watched me. I need to find a stronger spotter in the future in case I get into some trouble.

Today was a good day to lift!

June/10/2019

Wake Up: 4:30am (had to do dishes. Suprisingly awake and woke up pretty fast. Not super excited work out, but we did it)

Song of the Day: Everybody Sells Cocaine (Motionless In White)

Workout: 5:45-6:30am

• Box Jump - 3x6@36in or so (idk the box height, but itā€™s the highest one at my gym)
  • Goblet Squat - 4x6@75 (the most work was done by me bracing for each rep. The weight felt solid, and Iā€™m looking forward to going heavier)
  • Unilateral Leg Press - 4x6@180 (weight felt very solid. will move up a bit next week, but overall the lift was good. Idk what the sled weighed, so Iā€™m only logging the plates)
  • Hip Thrusts - 4x6@225 (Hip Thrusts always felt weird for me in terms of weight. Itā€™s like the weight feels very heavy, but I can do a lot of reps. So Iā€™ll move up next workout, but Idk how much)
  • RDL - 4x6@100lb (I like DBs better than a BB for some reason. These lifts feel light, but allow me to get good work in.)

GF workout:

• Box Jumps - 3x6@12in (again, idk box height)
  • Goblet Squat - 4x6@25 (i didnt watch the lift, but i gave her a few tips to help her knees from caving. She has genu valgum, and that has been a big obstacle for her. We recently started doing PT for this issue)
  • Leg Press - 4x6@90lb (she grinded these reps out like a champ, and Iā€™m excited to see how she handles next week)
  • Hip Thrusts - 4x6@95lb (the bar seemed to crush her, even with a pad. She also didnt reach a full ROM. I will most likely lower the weight, or see what she can do with just Bodyweight)
  • RDL - 4x6@40lb (She has perfect form here. Idk what else to say but add weight when we can.)

Iā€™m going to start going to an mma gym in a month. Idk if i should be doing extra to prep for when I start classes, but I adapt quickly, so I will just keep it up. After week 4 of this program, i was thinking of switching to something similar, but it will be for focused on weight loss. Hopefully that will help the gf get closer to her primary goal, which is bodyfat reduction.

Still having fun with this program!

June/11/2019

Wake Up: 5am (felt awake and ready to workout, but not as excited cuz it was more of a conditioning day)

Song of the Day: Kickstart my Heart (Motley Crue)

• Circuit A: 3 rounds
    A. Leg Extension - 3x12@130 (weight felt good. Last set was rough bud.)
    B. KB Swing - 3x12@40lb (These felt great. Good rhythm, good weight)
    C. Lunges - 3x12@BW (Fairly easy. last set was getting challenging near the end)
  • Circuit B: 3 rounds
    A. Squat - 3x20@BW (these felt super easy, couldve done more)
    B. Vertical Jump - 3x5@BW (Kill me. Vertical jumps sucked the life out of me like a dementor on Harry Potter)
    C. Russian Twists - 3x20@35 (Not too bad. My speed wasnt there, but my form stayed tight until I got tired)

GF Workout:

• Circuit A: 3 rounds
    A. Leg Extension - 3x10@30 (these seemed to go well. She had a good rhythm and contraction)
    B. Hamstring Curls - 3x5@10 (This exercise concerned me. She was barely able to get around 3 reps with me helping her to 5. I verified that the weight was indeed 10lbs by performing the lift, and sure enough, it was. Her knee issues are the result of weak hamstrings and glutes, but I didnā€™t know to what extent that weakness was. This was very revealing, and it exposes a supremely weak point in her body. I think her extreme hamstring weakness is the reason why her KB swings just werenā€™t explosive. We started the entire workout with some pull-throughs, and she did well. However, I believe this exercise will be essential to her correcting this severe imbalance.)
    C. Lunges - 3x10@BW (Her knees were hurting during this exercise, and I think in the future Iā€™ll give her some Ibuprofen before we do leg work so it can help with the pain until her support muscles are strong enough to stabilize her knee and take some stress off of the quads.)
  • Circuit B: 3 rounds
    A. Sqauts - 3x10@BW (she was squatting well, and held a good rhythm)
    B. Vertical Jumps - 3x5@BW (although she hates these, I believe they will become fun for her as she progresses. She is doing well, but just thinks she looks awkward doing them.)
    C. Russian Twists - 3x15@4 (her form is excellent here. Not much to say but add weight I guess)

Today I tried to pick up the pace a bit to get her heart rate up and to help her break a sweat. It was a good workout, and I look forward to doing some upper body work tomorrow. Iā€™m considering some KB flows in the future to really help the gf with stabilization.

June/12/2019

Wake Up: 5am (pretty tired, wanted to workout but not really excited)

Song of the Day: Take it out on me (Bullet for my valentine)

• DB Clean Press - 3x10@25 (solid warmup, no shoulder issues here)
  • Incline DB Press - 4x6@80 (solid weight, felt appropriate for workload. Need to use 3 warmup sets instead of 2)
  • Machine Military Press - 4x6@130 (I was able to perform the reps at 150lb, but I felt a pop/twinge in my shoulder during the 4th/5th rep. It happened in the lower range of motion. I decided to lower the weight and to try to control the reps more with both eccentric and concentric rep patterns being slow)
  • Wide Lat Pulldown - 4x6@144 (Weight was solid until the last set, where I wasnā€™t able to touch my chest with the bar on the last rep. This extra fatigue was because of supersetting the last two exercises. The stretch at the top also makes the rep much harder)
  • Neutral grip Cable Row - 4x6@144 (This weight felt very good, and the stretch between reps allowed for a solid contraction. I am pleased by the control exhibited over this weight throughout the lift.)

GF workout:

• DB clean and press - 3x10@5 (no issues here, I tried to help her better understand the concept of being explosive with the clean part of the lift)
  • Incline DB Press - 4x6@12 (this weight did seem a bit too easy, but 15lb was a big jump that she wasnā€™t ready to take. Her form was rough at 15, but very solid at 12)
  • Machine Military Press - 4x6@50 (she was able to really grind out these reps. Im suprised at her progress on this lift)
  • Wide Lat Pulldown - 4x6@36 (she has good form, and hopefully we will be able to add weight next week)
  • Neutral grip Cable Row - 4x6@44 (I didnt really see her form here, but this lift is difficult to mess up. I think she was doing well just by her trying to copy my form.)

I got a serious pump from the cable rows, and overall the workout felt good. Not working my upper body for a week makes that one day feel very good. Still not bored with this workout, which is very suprising. Ill keep going!

June/13/2019

Wake up: 8am (excited to workout, but was busy all day until 6:30pm)

Song of the Day: Dark Horse (Katy Perry)

Workout: 6:15-7:15pm

• Circuit A: 3x12@25
    A. Lateral Raise (these felt good. Will look forward to adding weight here)
    B. DB Curl (A combo of heavy rowing yesterday with arms being tired from lateral raises and manual labor earlier today made these hard enough to get a good pump)
    C. Tricep Extension (I normally donā€™t feel these too much in my triceps and just have the pain in my elbows. However, I shortened the range of motion and altered my form a bit such that I could really feel it in my triceps)
  • Circuit B
    A. DB Row - 3x12@80 (All reps were completed, but they werenā€™t easy. I overdid it on this one, and will probably keep the same weight so I dont kill myself next time)
    B. Rear Delt Fly - 3x12@15 (These reps felt great. I was in complete control of the weight, and I had a good contraction.)
  • Conditioning: 3 rounds
    A. Row - 3x100m (these feel good and suck at the same time, nuff said)
    B. Pushups - 3x12@BW (the pushups were almost like a break because of how easy they were in comparison to the rows)

GF Workout:

• Circuit A: 3x5@5
    A. Lateral Raise (her shoulders were hurting, so we just took it easy on these. I didnā€™t know if she had some kind of injury or if it was just DOMS and she just wasnā€™t used to it. We will do some diagnostic and rehab stuff to bring them up to speed.)
    B. DB Curl (These seemed good, no issues here)
    C. Tricep Extension (Same as curls, pretty easy due to low reps)
  • Circuit B
    A. DB Row - 3x12@15 (Her form on these is better than mine. I think she can continue to add weight for the next week)
    B. Rear Delt Fly - 3x12@5 (her form on these is also excellent. But i think the weight is still good)
    A. Row - 3x100m (she was on the highest resistance and had great form. Most of her upper body lifts are very solid, and rows are no exception.)
    B. Pushups - 3x5@BW (I didnt watch her form this time, but she seems to be able to perform pushups with relative ease)

This workout was killing me cuz i had a belly full of burgers and fries. I went too hard and hope that Iā€™m not too dead to workout tomorrow. Weā€™ll see!

June/14/2019

Wakeup: 6:30am (felt good, ready to do some squats my dude)

Song of the Day: Alive (Wage War)

• Farmerā€™s Walk - 4x50yds@160 (My grip felt strong for having done rows with that weight yesterday. I really enjoy farmers walks)
  • Squat - 3x1@245 (my squats have come such a long way in the past 3 years. My squat 3RM was 185 because of my back issues. Im glad I took it slow and worked my way up to where I am. Better safe than sorry. The weight moved well, and I felt in control. Good s***)
  • Bicycle Cruch - 3x30 reps (These felt very good, but I got bored with them so i started doing them to the rhythm of the music that was playing on my spotify (you make my dreams come true - hall and oates))

GF Workout:

• Farmerā€™s walks - 4x50yds@50 (She did better on these than last week, and Iā€™m proud of her progress, will probably keep weight)
  • Bicycle crunch - 2x??? (she just kinda farted around with abs, but its not a huge deal cuz she has stayed active and will be working out tomorrow too. Plus, I want her to take it seriously, but not too seriously since I dont want her to quit)

I still love this workout. I am looking forward to changing it up at the end of the 4 weeks tho. Lots of goals and ideas. Yeet!

June/15/2019

Wakeup: 5am (pretty tired, had caffeine last night so sleep was meh. Also I was probably underfed yesterday too)

Song of the Day: Run It (Logic)

Workout: 5:50-6:20am

• KB Complex: 3x6 each arm each exercise @ 35
    A. RDL
    B. Clean
    C. Press
    D. Squat
    E. Row
    (This circuit was fairly easy. It was good cardio, but didnā€™t stress me to the point of sacrificed form. I look forward to adding reps and weight)
  • Battle Ropes - 3x20s (I went back to back with the GF on these until we finished all 3 sets. It was rough, but fun)

GF workout:

• BB Complex: 3x6 each exercise @ 20
    A. RDL
    B. Clean
    C. Press
    D. Front Squat
    E. Row
    (I didnā€™t watch her form on these, but I know it wasnā€™t great because of her mobility and fluidity. But the weight is light enough to where she gets a good workout without being at risk of injury)
  • Battle Ropes - 3x20s (I make her hold just one rope with both hands instead of two because it is too heavy for her. She really grinds these out and does a great job)

This kind of day is perfect for both of us and is great for recovery. Itā€™s also nice to get everything done so quickly. Looking forward to benching tomorrow.

July (Iā€™ve been saying june like a bafoon)/16/19

Wake up: 5am (feeling awake, ready to do some bench pressinā€™)

Song of the Day: Hot for Teacher (Van Halen)

• Bench Press - 3x1@245 (the weight felt heavier than it did on the day I attempted a 3RM, but I was able to complete all reps. Glad to do some heavy benching)
  • Row - 3x200m (the gf and I didnā€™t feel like walking, so we did some slow, easy rowing instead. It was a bit more fun)

Iā€™m suprised I was able to stick to two weeks of this program so far. I have seen a lot of results, but that could also be from the increase in food and creatine. I am staying happy and healthy. I canā€™t wait for leg day tomorrow!

I also am considering changing up the program after next week. I donā€™t know exactly what Iā€™ll do, but Iā€™ll definitely include my ideas in tomorrowā€™s log, or make another one tonight.

July/17/2019

Wake Up: 5am (tired, but excited to do legs)

Song of the Day: Deliver Us from Evil (BFMV)

The GF was having some stomach issues and I believe some recovery issues as well, so I got her off of IF, and started her on a 3 meal diet to help her avoid binging from hunger

Workout: 5:50-6:40am

• Box Jumps - 3x8@36in or something (these really get me warmed up, but I still need to work up to 3x10)
  • Goblet Squat - 5x5@85 (the squats themselves feel like a good challenge. My only concern is that the DB is so heavy that I will need a box for setup so that I donā€™t hurt myself raising it up to my chest)
  • Unilateral Leg Press - 5x5@180 (I didnā€™t increase the weight, but I definitely used more control than last time. I really enjoy this exercise)
  • Hip Thrusts - 5x5@275 (Although this weight feels challenging, I dont know if I am using the full ROM, which really nerfs the lift since my back is on the ground and not a bench.)
  • RDL - 5x5@120 (DB) (These didnā€™t feel too hard. It was definitely a good weight to keep me from getting hurt while still letting me hammer my hammies)

GF Workout:

• Box Jump - 3x10@12in or so (She still hates these, but I think we will start using the boxes that increase in inch increments instead of the preset boxes. That way she can really see her own progress.)
  • Goblet Squat - 5x5@30lb (her form still holds up. She could probably do more weight, but i think it is appropriate to warm her up to these while she still is practicing form)
  • Leg Press - 5x5@140 (I got confused and thought she did 180 last week, so I was disappointed that she was struggling so much from this exercise lol. But now it makes sense. She needs to work on her depth tho)
  • Hip Thrusts - 5x5@BW (well, we took away all weight for this one, and she still seems to not have a full ROM. Probably from tight hip flexors. We need to prioritize flexibility I guess)
  • RDL - 5x5@50 (I didnā€™t see her form, but I know she was dropping the DBs down after each set so the weight may have been too heavy. IDK, but Ill watch her next week for sure.)

This workout has been a great learning experience for me, and I think it is showing me what will be better for the both of us, one being an experienced male and the other an inexperienced female. I think I make a program that will suit us both and help us both.

Leg day is great!

P.S. I think it is important to mention the diet my gf is now on:

• Breakfast:
    A. Avocado Toast - 1 slice
    B. 1 Egg scrambled
  • Lunch:
    A. Baked Chicken
    B. Rice
    C. Salad w/ Ranch (i know)
  • Snack:
    A. Yogurt (activia or greek yogurt, not trix)
  • Dinner:
    A. Whatever we get. But stop as soon as you reach a full feeling.

Supps:
A. BCAA and Caffeine pre and intra workout

July/18/2019

Wake Up: 5am (felt super tired, and not as excited to work out because of circuit training, but did it anyway)

Song of the Day: Sussudio (Phil Collins)

Workout: 5:50-6:20am

• Circuit A: 3 rounds, 10 reps each (10 each leg for lunges)
    A. Leg Extension - 150lb (these felt very easy, but led to a serious pump, which is what we want)
    B. KB Swing - 50lb (I always enjoy these. My headphones fly off around rep 8 each time)
    C. BW Lunges (These are always relatively easy. Never really had issues with these lunges, but I make shorter steps to focus more on quads)
    A. BW Squat - 30@BW (these have gotten easier and easier over the past three weeks. I donā€™t know if my form is excellent because of my quick descent, but they feel good.)
    B. Vertical Jump - 8@BW (these suck after round 1, but the feeling you get after they kick your butt is priceless)
    C. Russian Twists - 20@30lb (These become very difficult after the previous two exercises. Not necessarily the weight is hard, but the posture you must maintain becomes difficult to hold.)

GF Workout:

• Circuit A: 3 Rounds, 10 reps each (10 reps each leg for lunges)
    A. Leg Extension - 35lb (Seemed difficult enough to work hard without overdoing it)
    B. Hamstring Curl - 10lb (I was happy that she was able to do 10 reps, and will do my best to help her improve here specifically)
    C. BW Lunges (I think these started to get to her. She was having a hard time keeping her rhythm so I know they were getting hard. But she grinded through)
    A. BW Squat - 3x20@BW (I made her hold a med ball (4lb), focus on twisting her feet outward (not actually pointing feet outward, but trying to twist the ground so her knees stayed locked outward), and focus on depth to help her with form. She was having a hard time concentrating, but she is coming along well.)
    B. Vertical Jump - 3x8@BW (I know she struggles with these because of insecurity, but she really does try and does a great job)
    C. Russian Twists - 3x20@4lb (Her form is still great here, and I think she has come a long way. She seems very stable in that position, and Iā€™m proud of her progress here)

This workout has been great, but I think I need to switch to a program that prioritizes PT for both her and me. Both of us have issues that need attention: primarily flexibility and stability for various bodyparts. I also need a higher focus on HIIT so the GF might see more weight loss progress. Lastly, I plan to start mma training in early august, and that will require less time spent in the gym to make up for evening training sessions.

I will be posting my workout plan for next week.

New Workout Prospect

I have many goals with this program. I also have asked the gf about her goals as well. I listed them below:

Me:

• Bench 275
  • Squat 315
  • Carry heaviest gym DB for 50yds
  • Begin to fix anterior pelvic tilt and back tightness
  • Increase flexibility
  • Bring up lagging Triceps
  • Increase overall usefulness

GF:

• Squat 135
  • Box Jump 2ft
  • Do a pullup
  • Bring up weak posterior chain
  • Correct or aid chronic knee valgus
  • Drop down to 115lb

The program is laid out below

Structure:

Day 1 Total Body A (Heavy) Total Body B (Heavy)
Day 2 HIIT/PT HIIT/PT
Day 3 Total Body B (Hypertrophy) Total Body A (Hypertrophy)
Day 4 HIIT/PT HIIT/PT
Day 5 Total Body A (Stability) Total Body B (Stability)
Day 6 HIIT/PT HIIT/PT
Day 7 Rest Rest

Day Types:

• Heavy Day: Compound movements that arenā€™t just heavy from low reps, but exercises that can be loaded up with heavier weight
  • Hypertrophy Day: Exercises (Compound or Isolation) that are selected more for hypertrophy work instead of heavy lifting
  • Stability Day: Compound exercises that recruit more support or stabilizing muscles for strength in connective tissues and for joint health

Days:

• Total Body A
    • Lower Push
    • Lower Pull
    • Upper Horizontal Push
    • Upper Vertical Pull
    • Specialization Exercise (work on weak points)
  • Total Body B
    • Loaded Carry
    • Lower Dynamic
    • Upper Vertical Push
    • Upper Horizontal Pull
    • Specialization Exercise (work on weak points)
  • HIIT/PT
    • Battle Ropes, Rowing, or Prowler Pushing
    • PT: Physical Therapy Exercises (shoulders for me, hips and knees for gf. Mostly band work)
    • Stretching: Primary focus on Hip Flexors and Hamstrings, but hitting all areas of the body

Exercises (These are selected to produce ideal workout density and to maximize time. This will allow both me and the gf to workout together without taking an hour. This selection is subject to change)

Exercise Category Heavy Hypertrophy Stability
Lower Push Leg Press Leg Extension Goblet Squat
Lower Pull Hip Thrusts Leg Curl RDL
Upper Horizontal Push Incline DB Press Close Grip BP Dips
Upper Vertical Pull Weighted Pullup Neutral Pulldown Wide Pulldown
Loaded Carry DB Carry Suitcase Carry Overhead Carry
Lower Dynamic Reverse Lunge Single Leg Press Walking Lunge
Upper Vertical Push Machine Military Press DB Military Press KB Press
Upper Horizontal Pull Cable Row Face Pull DB Row

Workload (Not strict rules, but are general guidelines)

Type Total Reps
Heavy 5-20
Hypertrophy 32-50
Stability 24-36
Specialization Exercises CTā€™s methods from BDWFNL*
HIIT 7x20s
PT 3x6-15

*mTOR, Clusters (CL), Rest Pause (RP)

Putting it all together: Example Weeks 1 and 2

Week 1
Week 2
I am open to suggestions and critiques, which is an added benefit of this being public. I think this will fit both of our goals, which has caused a lot of flip flopping as of late.

July/19/2019

Wake Up: 5am (very tired, almost considered taking a rest day, but decided to lift instead)

Song of the Day: Bette Davis Eyes (Kim Carnes)

Workout: 5:45-6:40am

• Incline DB Press - 5x5@85 (this weight was fairly heavy. All reps were completed without reaching failure while still using a lot of effort)
  • Machine Military Press - 5x5@175 (I decided to increase the weight as if had done so last week, even though I didnt because of injury concerns. I braced much harder today, and used slower reps, which helped me stay stable. I believe I can continue to progress with weight if I remain careful.)
  • Cable Row - 5x5@180 (I took a pretty steep jump from last weekā€™s weight, but it didnā€™t feel too heavy. My form was still there, but it was wavering near the end of the exercise)
  • Wide Pulldown - 5x5@168 (These were fairly easy. I still fully extend and touch my chest on each rep. I think my strength is improving if I can use the full ROM and have such clean yet difficult reps.)

GF workout:

• Incline DB Press - 5x5@15lb (this was super suprising because the weight seemed too difficult last week. Newb gains really showed today, as well as eating more and better. Iā€™m both impressed and proud of this progress.)
  • Machine Military Press - 5x5@55lb (her form and rep speed tells me she could be doing more weight, but I still want her to hold back until we know if her shoulders need some easing up or if they were just sore)
  • Cable Row - 5x5@60lb (Itā€™s cool to watch her do heavier and heavier weights. She did well on this exercise, and soon we will begin incorporating full ROM, right now the stretch portion of the lift isnā€™t all there, but thatā€™s an easy fix)
  • Wide Pulldown - 5x5@48 (we started the exercise with 60lb here, but she showed that it was too heavy. Her form is still compromised with this weight too, but it is much better. Hopefully she will catch up)

Tomorrow we will take the first rest day after a 3 week workout binge. It will be some time to recover and recollect ourselves. On sunday, we will begin the new program. Iā€™m very much looking forward to it.

July/21/2019

Wake Up: 7:30am

Song of the Day: Never Gonna Give You Up (Rick Astley)

• Leg Press - 5x5@180 (the leg press we used seemed steeper, or the seating was different, but it was a bit harder and made me use different leverages. All reps were completed)
  • Hip Thrusts - 5x5@225 (i tried to focus more on my control and speed of the weight instead of the amount I was moving)
  • Incline DB Press - 5x5@85 (these were way easier than I expected, especially since I had just done that same weight/reps like 2 days ago. But thatā€™s good I guess)
  • Pullups - 5x5@BW (I completely relaxed between reps and fully extended my arms and shoulders. I think it will ultimately pay off for my strength and stability, even if I have to lower the weight. I also switched up grips for each set to vary my stimulus)
  • Rope Tricep Extensions - mTOR@80lb (these were killing me, but thereā€™s something about that maximum effort that I love)

GF Workout:

• Leg Press - 5x5@90 (she was hitting great depth and had good control of the weight throughout each set)
  • Hip Thrusts - 5x5@BW (her form and control is really improving here. Also I think she is finally hit full ROM)
  • Incline DB Press - 5x5@15 (she said she felt week, but I think itā€™s because she recently did that same weight/rep scheme)
  • Pullups - 5x5@BW-70 (although I donā€™t like the assisted pullup machine, I think it is a good metric for progress. She did well with these and I think we can remove some weight)
  • Hamstring Curls - 5x5@15 (all reps were completed, idk how hard they were for her, but progress is progress!)

Looking forward to some HIIT and PT to start feeling tip top again. Onward!

July/22/2019

Wake Up: 5am (felt pretty awake, ready to workout)

Song of the Day: Run It (Logic)

Workout: 5:45-6:30am

• Battle Ropes - 7x20s (we gave ourselves 1 min rest between sets. I was really slowing down around set 7 but it was fun to go hard)
  • Internal/External Shoulder rotation - 3x12 (I just brought and used an exercise band and it worked very well. I hope this will further stabilize my shoulders)
  • Orbit Raise - 3x8 (Idk if these have a different name, but thats what I call them. I basically raise my arm laterally, then with tension still on the band, I move my arm in a flat line until it is in front of me. I then lower the band, and reverse the motion.)
  • Stretch (I just did some static stretching, but Iā€™m looking into alternative methods in case I can do something more effective/healthy)

GF Workout:

• Battle Ropes - 7x15s (Since both ropes are too heavy, I had her use one rope with both hands. She was going all out and really pushing herself)
  • Abductor Curl - 3x10each leg (These hurt her leg a bit, but I think the main reason is the angle between the band and her body. If they arent perpendicular, the band pulls on her leg skin and hurts quite a bit. Her Abductor Strength is good though)
  • Stretch (similar static stretching routine as me)

So far everything has gone well. Iā€™m curious to see if we burn out eventually, but hopefully not.

June/23/2019

Wake Up: 5:12am (almost overslept, goodness i was tired.)

Song of the Day: Boys 'Round Here (Blake Shelton)

Supplement Update:

• Pre-Workout - MP Wreckage 1 Scoop
  • Intra-Workout - Xtend BCAA 1 Scoop, MT Creatine 5g

• Suitcase Carry - 5x50yds (25 each arm) @ 80lb (These were pretty easy. I didnā€™t program deadlifts into this program, but I do like the extra work I get from handling heavy DBs)
  • Walking Lunge - 4x12 (6 each leg) @ 40lb (I started with 50, but these got too hard. I couldve completed them, but I didnā€™t want to be trashed. 40lb felt much better)
  • DB Press - 4x12@40lb (I was worried about my grip and my arm/shoulder fatigue, but i was able to complete almost all reps. the last set I only did 10 to avoid failure (i donā€™t like reaching failure with weight above my head). Very solid weight.)
  • Face Pull - 4x12@60 (These were done on a different machine, so the weight seems lower, but really isnā€™t. Since the other machine uses a pulley system, the weight reported is half of what it was on this machine. So it would be considered 120lb on the other cable.)
  • DB Extension - Clusters@30lb (These got very tough, and I dont know if they are ideal for this rep system because of my lack of tricep pump on this particular exercise, so i might change it up.)

GF workout:

• Suitcase Carry - 5x50yds@30lb KB (seemed pretty easy, Looking forward to loading her up on these carries. Her grip is getting much better, and the gloves certainly help)
  • Walking lunge - 5x25yds@10lb DBs (These got pretty tough for her. Once I helped her with form and rhythm, she did better, but this weight certainly kicked her butt)
  • DB Press - 4x12@5lb (she previously did more weight than that for less reps, so i think these were pretty difficult, but she was able to do it all i think. Might keep weight though cuz i believe she reached failure for 1-2 sets)
  • Face Pull - 4x12@25lb (she maintained good form as well as showed steady control throughout her gradual fatigue. Solid movements)
  • Hamstring Curl - 2x12@15lb (I didnt watch these cuz weā€™ve been splitting up for the last exercise. Iā€™m hoping to help her make some quick progress here since she needs it desperately)

I was dog tired at the end of yesterday. I also had trouble falling and staying asleep on my back, but I need to get used to it for my own heathā€™s sake. I can tell that the HIIT/PT days will be brutal. Still havenā€™t burnt out yet, but weā€™ll see.

Current Diets:
Me:
A. Breakfast

• 3 eggs
  • Carnation instant breakfast (helps me feel less sick when I go to eat eggs. Fires up metabolism)
  • Preworkout (No pre-workout on HIIT/PT days, just small coffee)
    B. Workout:
  • BCAA + Creatine
    C. Snack
  • Protein Bar
  • Orange
    D. Lunch:
  • Meat - 10-15oz of beef, chicken, etc.
  • Carb - 8-12oz of potatoes, rice, pasta, etc.
  • Veggie - 5-12oz of carrots, broccoli, etc.
    E. Snack:
  • Yogurt
  • tuna can
    F. Dinner:
  • Who really knows??? Lots of dinner, try not to pig out, but make sure to eat plenty
    G. Desert:
  • Casein Protein shake with 10oz milk

GF:
A. Pre/Intra-workout:

• Xtend BCAA w/ Caffeine,Citruline Malatate,Electrolytes
    A. Snack/Fast Break:
  • protein bar
  • yogurt
    B. Lunch:
  • Meat - 6-12oz
  • Carb - 6-10oz
  • Veggie - 5-8oz