Yes that's very true, much like your russian strength program as well.
I don't know what it is, I keep gravitating back to layers. It's so beautifully programmed and WORKS in practice. Every workout you get gains, or at least feel amazing because the top ramp determines your loading (sometimes waveload if I feel first ramp wasn't reflective of performance)
Should really patent it or something.
Had a few questions, hope ok to revisit layers here or move to different thread?
1. What sort of pre layer activation work do you prefer? Jumps, mini NC workout, maybe explosive strength work practice on non-layer compound movement? Dynamic stretches?
2. What sort of post layer asiistance work is appropiate/beneficial? 50 ring pullups/rows and dips? Loaded carries? 5x5 on compound lift or 3x8 DB accesory?
2. I've noticed in practice, my cluster weights are close to a 5x5 (or 3x5). i know you like the 5x5 double progression model so wonder which do you prefer (slightly more weight, but paused 10 sec breaks vs less weight but continuous piston like tension)
3. you seem to favor the strength layers over the hypertrophy layers (hdl work to be used sparingly)? or the latest layer article using submaximal eccentrics and basically max pump layers?
4. Exercise selection wise have you or client athletes used loaded bodyweight layers to much success (weighted dips, chins, pushups, even handstand pushups on boxes with weight vest)
5. The original template had 5-6 consecutive days (depending on lat work) but with your view on rest, this cycle will be spread over more days right?
and also why the preacher curl layer? that came out of nowhere haha