T Nation

Turkish Get-ups In The Power Rack

We all know that doing curls in the squat rack during peak hours gets you a quick flogging from the masses at T-Nation, but I’m wondering if doing Turkish Get-Ups in the power rack draws the same ire. I train at a university gym with a plethora (yes, I know what that word means El Guapo) of equipment and not much free space.

The gym generally gets pretty packed at around 5:00 PM when I train and I’m left with no alternative if I want to incorporate the exercise.

Relevant information:

My gym prowess: ~9/10 - I’ve worked out at more than 20 different gyms in the past 10-15 years and am pretty confident in my assessment that the only place to safely (in a low traffic area) do TGU’s is on the power platform. I’m also very conscientious when it comes to gym etiquette and try to always be respectful of others (which is why I’m curious about this one).

Power rack usage factor: ~2/10 - Honestly, 90-95% of the time, this is not a problem. The gym has 2 power racks. Needless to say thay are not as popular as the leg extension machines or preacher curl. There have been a few occasions when I have been doing TGU’s and someone has had to wait and/or has made a comment about me misusing the area.

My strength level/set-rep scheme: ~ 6.5/10 - My strength level is fairly respectable, but nothing remarkable. I usually do between 4 set of 6 and 8 sets of 3, so its not like I’m using the area for 20 rep GPP work that I can get at home.

Work-in factor: ~ 3/10 - I am very meticulous when it comes to rest time. I either take 70 second rests (exactly) when doing straight sets, or 60 second rests between sets when supersetting something like rows. I’m not saying that it’s impossible to work in with me (and it has happened in the past), but it’s pretty difficult.

So I’ll throw it up to you. TGU’s on the platform - yay or nay?

Personally, I’d have no problem whatsoever with someone doing TGUs in the rack at my gym - it sounds similar to yours in that its overcrowded and infested with idiots that have no regard for personal space or safety.

I would expect to able to work in though if I wanted to squat, so for this exercise at least its only reasonable to avoid being fastidious about your rest times.

Just curious - why TGU’s in the power rack, though? Seems like a perfect movement in free and open space, no? I guess if I was waiting I’d wonder this.

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
Just curious - why TGU’s in the power rack, though? Seems like a perfect movement in free and open space, no? I guess if I was waiting I’d wonder this. [/quote]

I agree. Ideally, I’d like to have more room.

I use the 7’x5’ platform in front of the rack. There really isn’t much free space in the gym. There is part of a wrestling mat used for stretching/abs/pushups that is nearly always full (weight-training not permitted in the area anyway) and an area near the entrance that is extremely high traffic and not meant for training.

Normally I’d just forego an exercise in favor of a similar and equally effective movement if it created logistic problems, but these puppies are on my short list all-time favorites.


Jefe: We have many beautiful pinatas for your birthday celebration, each one filled with little surprises!
El Guapo: How many pinatas?
Jefe: Many pinatas, many!
El Guapo: Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A plethora.
Jefe: Oh yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you just told me that I had a plethora, and I would just like to know if you know what it means to have a plethora. I would not like to think that someone would tell someone else he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: El Guapo, I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education, but could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

I love TGUs, but if I was waiting to squat because you were in the power rack doing them, I’d be pissed… Not as pissed as if you were doing curls, but still pissed…

i find it hard to believe you can’t find any open space in the entire gym. I agree with Boris B, I’d be pissed.

Going to the gym to do turkish getups is like going to the gym to do pushups or ropeskipping… things that you can do at home, especially if one knows it’s crowded.

[quote]eisenaffe wrote:
Going to the gym to do turkish getups is like going to the gym to do pushups or ropeskipping… things that you can do at home, especially if one knows it’s crowded.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply…

I’m not going to argue with your overall position because you’re entitled and I asked (and can honestly see the argument), but I don’t agree with your statement that they are equivalent to doing pushups or jumprope. Have you ever done them? They are just as taxing as many other heavy compound lifts and require loads and progressions that I can’t readily duplicate at home. I have done lighter versions at home with cinder blocks, but a good 8x3 workout with TGU’s fires every muscle I got.

Still, I guess I can see where some would be irritated with me doing them there (not that I’d agree) and I’ll try a little harder to find some space. How about 1-arm dumbbell snatches? Would they fall into the same category?

I must be missing something here: why tgu’s in the squat rack? Sure they’re taxing. Use an 80 lb dumbell if you want - knock yourself out.

But why do you feel it necessary to perform this movement in the squat rack?

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
I must be missing something here: why tgu’s in the squat rack? Sure they’re taxing. Use an 80 lb dumbell if you want - knock yourself out.

But why do you feel it necessary to perform this movement in the squat rack? [/quote]

I probably should have been more clear at the onset and distinguished between our version of a ‘power rack’ with regards to its difference from a ‘squat rack’. I don’t do them in the ‘squat racks’. Our gym has about 8-10 traditional squat racks (with adjustable horizontal internal bars in case of failure) and 2 power stations. The power stations have a pull up bar, exterior hooks for holding the bar and a platform in front of the rack for deadlifts and olympic lifts. There is no internal component to the power rack with adjustable horizontal bars for squatting.

Virtually no one squats at the power stations because to do so would mean that you are doing it on the platform in front of the rack with no pins in case of failure. I have done overhead squats on the platform, but have never done or seen anyone do front or back squats there (although I have done them and seen others do them on unsupported platforms in other gyms when there is no alternative).

The reason I chose the power platform is that it is an exercise area with well-defined boundaries big enough to complete the exercise. They are sort of secluded from the rest of the gym with a partition. I don’t have to worry about tripping over people or tripping other people when I go back into my little hole.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that the gym is very densely populated with equipment (10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag sort of a deal), but I can see where you might be skeptical. In most other gyms I’ve been to, I would definitely have room to avoid this need. Still, there is one area that I might consider weaseling into in the free weight area for a trial. We’ll see how it goes.

Thanks.

If the power rack isn’t in use, do whatever the hell you want in it. If someone wants to squat, be a good citizen and give it up. It’s not that curls in the squat rack are inherently bad. It’s that you can’t do squats elsewhere; but you can do curls anywhere in the gym.

I really dont understand WHY you would want to do Turkish Get Ups in a power rack. In fact, it would seem that it would be harder to do a TGU there in such a constrained space. If I were wanting to squat and saw somebody doing TGUs in the squat rack, I would be pissed.

TGUs is a great exercise but not for the squat rack. How would you feel if somebody decided to do jumping jacks in the squat rack?

Sometimes I do pilates in the rack. Is that bad?

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I really dont understand WHY you would want to do Turkish Get Ups in a power rack. In fact, it would seem that it would be harder to do a TGU there in such a constrained space. If I were wanting to squat and saw somebody doing TGUs in the squat rack, I would be pissed.

TGUs is a great exercise but not for the squat rack. How would you feel if somebody decided to do jumping jacks in the squat rack?[/quote]

I guess I just don’t see this point. I answered the poster above with a similar scenario regarding pushups and jumprope. These are exercises that I can do at home or on the exercise mat at the gym (again - no weight training allowed on the mat).

TGU’s are an exercise that, if I decide to incorporate, must be done at the gym because I don’t have adequate equipment to do them at home. My gym is very densely populated with equipment so I pick a low volume, safe area to do them. The only such apparent area is the power platform (5’x7’) in front of the power rack (yes, in a perfect world, I’d like a bit more space) and behind a partition. I’m really not exagerating when I say there is no other free space, especially if I don’t want to be stepped on or tripped over mid-exercise. There is litterally one other potential area that is about 10’x6’ that I have done barbell curls in. To me, there is a difference in safety between someone that is standing and doing barbell curls and someone who is laying on the back, standing up and laying back down while staring at a dumbell that is suspended overhead in a prone position. God forbid I drop it mid rep - the poor little girl doing back extensions might get crushed.

I thank everyone for the dialogue. I guess in answering your questions and explaining the situation, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that there actually isn’t anything wrong with doing them there because I don’t have much of an alternative and am not doing something that I could be doing other places in my particular gym. It took posting and responding for it to become clear to me. I don’t equivalate doing pillates, jumprope, pushups, jumping jacks (exercises that don’t require the area) to my situation. I save my stretching for the mat and GPP/conditioning for home.

On those few occaisions when someone told you that you were misusing that area, did you ask them if they needed to use the rack? If they were waiting to use the rack for it’s intended purpose, then you should have moved aside for them. If they didn’t need to use the rack and they were just making comments then they need to mind their own business.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
If I were wanting to squat and saw somebody doing TGUs in the squat rack, I would be pissed. TGUs is a great exercise but not for the squat rack. How would you feel if somebody decided to do jumping jacks in the squat rack?[/quote]

If I didn’t need to squat, I wouldn’t care. Curling is the squat rack is not bad in itself. It’s only bad to the extent that it prevents someone from squatting. Yes, it’s hilarious to see people curling a 45 lb. bar with nickel or dime on the side. But even my intolerant self isn’t disturbed by this unless I or someone else needs to use the rack for its intended purpose.

I’ll be honest, this is sort of a retarded question. If the powerrack/squat rack whatever is the best place to do them, then do them there. Just be prepared to yield to somebody if they want to use it. It’s not the end of the world if you mess up your 45.8894743 second rest intervals.

If I was deadlifting that day and you were in the rack doing TGU’s, holding me up, I would wait until you finished your set. Then I’d walk up to you, pat you on the back, and tell you how happy I am to see someone doing such an overlooked/underrated exercise. Then I’d wait until you were done while laughing on the inside at all the frat-tastic tools working on their fourth biceps workout of the week.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Sometimes I do pilates in the rack. Is that bad?[/quote]

What about yoga? You do yoga too?