Turkey Ham?

can someone tell me where to purchase turkey ham (what is it?)and 2 %chocolate “carb countdown” (and what is that?) PN also calls for “lean” turkey sausage.never seen that either.
i do most of my shopping at whole foods, they have turkey sausage (delicious)but doubt if it’s lean.
thanks
Mike

I found turkey ham at Albertsons in the deli meats section. Also lots of turkey sausages. Didn’t look at the macros on it, but I would bet its lean.

Costco has some good lean chicken sausage, but I am guessing you are making the GN turkey sausage caserole?

Can’t help with the carb countdown. Sorry.

Mike,

I can help you with a couple of these. Carb Countdown & lean turkey sausage can be found at most of your chain grocery stores, Krogers, Jewels, etc. Healthy Choice brand has a pretty good lean turkey sausage. I still haven’t found the turkey ham.

Uga

These are not good things to eat.

I’m only offering this information because I feel so strongly about the crap in Ham’s, Turkey Hams, Lunch meats and similar.

The only time I’ve really heard anyone mention how bad they are in the bodybuilding community is when Keith Klein talked about the Sodium Nitrite in Lunch meats.

Typically many of these products are either pre-packed or can be bought from a deli where they are sliced for you. At first instance they look like they are the joint of a pig or something and its been turned into ham (as if by magic) and you can have a few slices cut off for your money.

This ‘meat’ is in fact been forced into that shape to look like a joint by being heavily processed, including whats called ‘tumbling’. It goes in as a large pile of shit and comes out as a nice looking joint of ham. The tumbling also re-arranges the fat.

Besides containing stuff like Sodium Nitrite, many Lunch Meats and Turkey hams are made from whats known as mechanically separated flesh which is mixed with water a little pork,whatever meat it supposed to mainly consisting of and starches collagens and some additives.

In the industry this is sometimes referred to as LA meat.

That’s ’ Lips and Arseholes '.

If you buy like a ham joint that supposed to contain just ham (rather than some chicken or turkey added to bulk it), it’ll be 85% meat or so from various locations on the animal, bulked out with water, salt and phosphate additives.

The additives E450(diphosphates), E451 triphosphates) and E452(polyphosphates) bind water to meat and fish products and act as emulsifiers, allowing water and fat to blend more smoothly in meat mixtures such as sausages.

People might be interested to note that ?ham? and ?turkey? can now be less than 50% meat, swollen with added water, phosphates and other unexpected extras.

Mechanically extracted refers to using machines to get the bits you’d normally never even consider eating or just throw away.

A bit more on Sodium Nitrite, (NaNO2), although some feel this is used as a colourant and also to increase the tangy mouth feel of ham, its mainly as a preservative.

When meat is processed its usually handled by luddites who will be touching their face and stuff, even with hairnets, snoods, hand washing, swabbing, these people will contaminate the meat. To get round this adding enough sodium nitrite to the meat makes a hostile environment for microbes to proliferate, otherwise your turkey ham sandwhich would swiftly give you botulism (clostridium botulinum).

Some people also think that Sodium Nitrite creates (when ingested) carcinogenic N-nitrosamines by reaction.

A study (among others) by the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha linked foods, in this case hot dogs, which contained sodium nitrite to colon cancer. I know we ain’t talking about hot dogs, but most Hams and lunch meats contain Sodium Nitrite.

[quote]Dr Stig wrote:
These are not good things to eat.

I’m only offering this information because I feel so strongly about the crap in Ham’s, Turkey Hams, Lunch meats and similar.

The only time I’ve really heard anyone mention how bad they are in the bodybuilding community is when Keith Klein talked about the Sodium Nitrite in Lunch meats.

Typically many of these products are either pre-packed or can be bought from a deli where they are sliced for you. At first instance they look like they are the joint of a pig or something and its been turned into ham (as if by magic) and you can have a few slices cut off for your money.

This ‘meat’ is in fact been forced into that shape to look like a joint by being heavily processed, including whats called ‘tumbling’. It goes in as a large pile of shit and comes out as a nice looking joint of ham. The tumbling also re-arranges the fat.

Besides containing stuff like Sodium Nitrite, many Lunch Meats and Turkey hams are made from whats known as mechanically separated flesh which is mixed with water a little pork,whatever meat it supposed to mainly consisting of and starches collagens and some additives.

In the industry this is sometimes referred to as LA meat.

That’s ’ Lips and Arseholes '.

If you buy like a ham joint that supposed to contain just ham (rather than some chicken or turkey added to bulk it), it’ll be 85% meat or so from various locations on the animal, bulked out with water, salt and phosphate additives.

The additives E450(diphosphates), E451 triphosphates) and E452(polyphosphates) bind water to meat and fish products and act as emulsifiers, allowing water and fat to blend more smoothly in meat mixtures such as sausages.

People might be interested to note that ?ham? and ?turkey? can now be less than 50% meat, swollen with added water, phosphates and other unexpected extras.

Mechanically extracted refers to using machines to get the bits you’d normally never even consider eating or just throw away.

A bit more on Sodium Nitrite, (NaNO2), although some feel this is used as a colourant and also to increase the tangy mouth feel of ham, its mainly as a preservative.

When meat is processed its usually handled by luddites who will be touching their face and stuff, even with hairnets, snoods, hand washing, swabbing, these people will contaminate the meat. To get round this adding enough sodium nitrite to the meat makes a hostile environment for microbes to proliferate, otherwise your turkey ham sandwhich would swiftly give you botulism (clostridium botulinum).

Some people also think that Sodium Nitrite creates (when ingested) carcinogenic N-nitrosamines by reaction.

A study (among others) by the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha linked foods, in this case hot dogs, which contained sodium nitrite to colon cancer. I know we ain’t talking about hot dogs, but most Hams and lunch meats contain Sodium Nitrite.[/quote]

So what are you trying to say? :slight_smile:

When you were a little kid legging about discovering the world, did someone say ‘don’t eat the berries on them trees’ ?

Its kinda like that.

[quote]Dr Stig wrote:
When you were a little kid legging about discovering the world, did someone say ‘don’t eat the berries on them trees’ ?

Its kinda like that.[/quote]

Good stuff Stig.

I wonder if you know anything about Turkey Bacon?