T Nation

Turkey Bacon?

what the dael with it? some people say it good some say it bad… what do u guys think?

Big fan,… although it leaves your entire kitchen smelling like Turkey bacon for days. Actually, I’m more of a fan of Turkey Pepperoni. 17 slices per serving, 70 cals, 9g prot, no carbs, no fat… I dice it up into my eggs every morning for a little extra prot, and a lot extra flavor (usually with some molly mcbutter cheese sprinkles, or mrs dash and raw veggies).

S

I think turkey bacon would be good, but it depends on the brand. Some slices have like 2g of fat, 3g of protein, but other products have 8g protein and 2g of fat. Also, the less nitrates or whatever they put in there, the better (my opinion at least, that stuff can’t be good for you in excess).

And anyone tried airplane food? I mean, what’s the deal wih that?

am I right?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Big fan,… although it leaves your entire kitchen smelling like Turkey bacon for days. Actually, I’m more of a fan of Turkey Pepperoni. 17 slices per serving, 70 cals, 9g prot, no carbs, no fat… I dice it up into my eggs every morning for a little extra prot, and a lot extra flavor (usually with some molly mcbutter cheese sprinkles, or mrs dash and raw veggies).

S[/quote]

Stu, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Turkey Pepperoni. Do you get it at a regular supermarket…or Whole Foods?

[quote]ron22 wrote:

S[/quote]

Stu, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Turkey Pepperoni. Do you get it at a regular supermarket…or Whole Foods?[/quote]

It’s in most grocery stores I ahev been in.

I will say I used to buy turkey bacon when I was dieting but have been eating real bacon lately and haven’t noticed any negative effects. I use that as something to tide me over if I start getting cravings on a low carb day.

I’ve seen it in regular markets, Trader Joes, or even in BJ’s, where you can get double-packs (which I always do!) for a bit cheaper :slight_smile:

S

Awesome, I’ll definitely look for it next time I go grocery shopping. Thanks X and Stu!

I don’t like turkey bacon, especially as compared to real bacon! I also like turkey pepperoni. No fat, no carbs and lots of flavor. I use it frequently.

Christopher

not a big fan of turkey bacon, I can eat turkey sausage at times, but you guys are making turkey pepperoni sound like the shit, I have to try it.

hmmm…looks like I’m going to have to try turkey pepperoni as well = )

When I have low carb days, I’ll microwave some turkey pepperoni until it gets crispy, then put pieces of american cheese on each :smiley: SOOOOOOOOOOOO TASTY! Got my girl hooked on this -lol.

S

I eat turkey sausage every day with my eggs. It adds a nice flavor. Turkey Pepperoni is the sh!t!!! If you live in the Great Lakes area, Meijers carries the Hormell brand and it’s relatively cheap. Also great on low-carb pizza. I buy those flatout breads and use a pizza sauce or olive oil & garlic base, turkey pepperoni’s, and ff moz cheese. Calms my cravings and really, I don’t think I would even consider it a cheat meal. Lot’s of good stuff in there.

Turkey bacon is ok, but I dunno. It just never cooks up good to me. I’m like Prof. X, I prefer my regular bacon if I’m going to do it. Besides, when you cook bacon, most of the fat can be drained off. Also, see the “What does Prof X. eat” thread. Big discussion about fatty meats in there lol. Made me immediately go buy a 4 pack of steaks :slight_smile:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
I eat turkey sausage every day with my eggs. It adds a nice flavor. Turkey Pepperoni is the sh!t!!! If you live in the Great Lakes area, Meijers carries the Hormell brand and it’s relatively cheap.

Also great on low-carb pizza. I buy those flatout breads and use a pizza sauce or olive oil & garlic base, turkey pepperoni’s, and ff moz cheese. Calms my cravings and really, I don’t think I would even consider it a cheat meal. Lot’s of good stuff in there.

Turkey bacon is ok, but I dunno. It just never cooks up good to me. I’m like Prof. X, I prefer my regular bacon if I’m going to do it. Besides, when you cook bacon, most of the fat can be drained off. Also, see the “What does Prof X. eat” thread. Big discussion about fatty meats in there lol. Made me immediately go buy a 4 pack of steaks :slight_smile:

[/quote]

x2

Regular smoked piggy bacon FTW

When I have low carb days, I’ll microwave some turkey pepperoni until it gets crispy, then put pieces of american cheese on each :smiley: SOOOOOOOOOOOO TASTY! Got my girl hooked on this -lol.

S[/quote]
i did this last night with some pepper jack cheese. awesome, no carb nachos.

everyone who tries that gets hooked! :smiley:

S

Picked some up today. Got the Hormel brand…it’s pretty good, put some in my scrambled eggs earlier!

[quote]Seize wrote:
Picked some up today. Got the Hormel brand…it’s pretty good, put some in my scrambled eggs earlier![/quote]

Man, when I’m dieting, a staple meal is a cup of liquid egg whites, diced broccoli, cut up turkey pepperoni, molly mcbutter cheese sprinkles, and some Mrs Dash Chipotle seasoning! I f-ing love this meal! (Usually a side of oatmeal and maybe a cup of coffee)

S

Definitely a big fan of the Louis Rich brand of turkey bacon…best I’ve had.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
not a big fan of turkey bacon, I can eat turkey sausage at times, but you guys are making turkey pepperoni sound like the shit, I have to try it.[/quote]

Turkey bacon = WAY TOO SALTY. But on the bright side, no salt needed on the eggs you’re eating with it.

Turkey sausage = pretty darn decent

Turkey pepperoni = like turkey bacon, but less obnoxious since you don’t consume as much of it at a time