Tuna Without Mayo. Other Ideas?

lemon juice. basil (fresh if i’ve got it or dried otherwise). chili. cracked pepper.

i never thought of avocado… i’m trying that tonight, yum!!

Tomato sauce (without sugar), chopped onions and dried parsley.

Plain yogurt, and what ever spice I fancy for the day (lemon pepper is favorite)

In another post you state that you are scaling back carbs to 20g a day as well? How can you cut both carbs and fat from your diet?

[quote]pcdude wrote:
In another post you state that you are scaling back carbs to 20g a day as well? How can you cut both carbs and fat from your diet?[/quote]

yeah not so much. Going to add some carbs back in. I NEVER want to feel like I did last night into this morning.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

[quote]pcdude wrote:
In another post you state that you are scaling back carbs to 20g a day as well? How can you cut both carbs and fat from your diet?[/quote]

yeah not so much. Going to add some carbs back in. I NEVER want to feel like I did last night into this morning. [/quote]

What are you trying to do?

Don’t forget about glycogenesis…

Lots of people go keto, then either thinking it will work better with less fat… or conversely, because they didn’t do it right in the first place, and it wasn’t working well at all, assume dropping fat from their diets will make it more effective.

If you cut both fat and carbs you’re body will start breaking down protein/catabolizing even to make glucose: fat loss will stall, and you’ll start losing muscle mass.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
Olive oil and avocado are both fat sources…

Are you guys/the OP being anti-mayo, or really looking for something that’s low-fat?

Mayo is mostly egg, vinegar,and an oil (canola, olive: depends on where you shop and what you like)… so suggesting pure oil… calorie for calorie, is going to give you more fat than mayo, which would be a blend of fat and protein…

Unless you’re buying something with some really nasty veg. oil in it… I say stick with it and just use less…[/quote]

Mayo has no protein in it.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

[quote]pcdude wrote:

yeah not so much. Going to add some carbs back in. I NEVER want to feel like I did last night into this morning. [/quote]

Lots of people go keto, then either thinking it will work better with less fat… or conversely, because they didn’t do it right in the first place, and it wasn’t working well at all, assume dropping fat from their diets will make it more effective.

If you cut both fat and carbs you’re body will start breaking down protein/catabolizing even to make glucose: fat loss will stall, and you’ll start losing muscle mass.

[/quote]

This is true; on my days where I’m doing conditioning from now on I’m adding some more fat in. On other days though I’m dropping fat back and upping carbs, hence tuna without mayo

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Mayo has no protein in it. [/quote]
I just looked at a label, and you’re right. That’s so weird, since there are eggs in it. Maybe it’s because there’s not enough protein in 1tbsp of mayo for it to register.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

Are you guys/the OP being anti-mayo, or really looking for something that’s low-fat?

Mayo is mostly egg, vinegar,and an oil (canola, olive: depends on where you shop and what you like)… so suggesting pure oil… calorie for calorie, is going to give you more fat than mayo, which would be a blend of fat and protein…

Unless you’re buying something with some really nasty veg. oil in it… I say stick with it and just use less…[/quote]

It looks like some brands make their serving sizes small enough that they end up with less than a gram per serving and mark it as none…

Weird. I make my own, and with the egg/oil ratio I use, there’s deff. real protein in it.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

It looks like some brands make their serving sizes small enough that they end up with less than a gram per serving and mark it as none…

Weird. I make my own, and with the egg/oil ratio I use, there’s deff. real protein in it.
[/quote]

It has like 1.2g protein pr 100g. About 80g fat if I remember correctly.

[quote]petercook wrote:
I like to mix mine with yoghurt. (Plain or greek…)[/quote]

This. Greek yogurt has the consistency of mayo. Two packets of tuna and one serving of Greek yogurt equals 50 grams of protein!

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

[quote]pcdude wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve been cutting carbs and fat to really low levels for 4 or 5 days at a time and then re-feeding if you want to call it that for 2 days and then repeat. It’s been working very well for me. Also been training 5 days a week and sprinting the other 2 days. The fat is falliing off and if I’m losing muscle I don’t see it. Strength is the same or better over this time. I know it’s working for me but I’m curious what you think of this approach since you seem to know what you’re talkng about.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
The best tuna I’ve ever had, was made with Italian tuna, chopped tomato, chopped celery and balsamic vinegar. Italian tuna is typically a dark tuna and packed in olive oil. You can try substituting a dark tuna packed in water if you’re worried about the fat. Not sure how much that would affect the taste.

http://store.pastene.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PU&Category_Code=FISH

Is an example. [/quote]

My nana used to make this for me all the time haha.

VALENTINA HOT SAUCE. You’ll never want to taste any other hot sauce again.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
The best tuna I’ve ever had, was made with Italian tuna, chopped tomato, chopped celery and balsamic vinegar. Italian tuna is typically a dark tuna and packed in olive oil. You can try substituting a dark tuna packed in water if you’re worried about the fat. Not sure how much that would affect the taste.

http://store.pastene.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PU&Category_Code=FISH

Is an example. [/quote]

That sounds good!